The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 2, 2009, 11:47 PM   #1
OnTheFly

Tragic event in Lincoln, NE

My heart goes out to this family and the young man involved in what appears to be a ND. It has been said many times by folks with more experience than myself (which pretty much covers everyone here at TFL ), but ALWAYS observe the four basic rules of safe firearms handling.

If you're relatively new to the world of firearms, and/or you don't know these rules forwards, backwards, and upside-down in the shower...then Google it, search TFL, ask a friend or fellow gun nut, take a course, or whatever you need to do to, but do not pass "GO" until you have them down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad Hamilton (Judge Reinhold's character from 'Fast Times at Ridgemont High' 1982)

"Learn it. Know it. Live it."
Fly

http://www.journalstar.com/articles/...a171995041.txt

Quote:
Lincoln newlywed dies in accidental shooting

By CINDY LANGE-KUBICK / Lincoln Journal Star
Monday, Feb 02, 2009 - 02:19:40 pm CST

The photographs on their Web site show an outdoorsy couple. Alaina and Josh Beasley on a tandem bike. Alaina and Josh snorkeling on their honeymoon.

Smiling in the snow.

The Omaha-area couple were married Nov. 1, 2008, and moved to Lincoln.

Alaina Beasley, 20, died early Sunday after an apparent accidental shooting.

She was shot in the chest shortly after 9 p.m. Saturday at the Fountain Glen apartment complex, 6230 N.W. Second Circle in the Highlands, and died four hours later at BryanLGH Medical Center West.

Joshua Beasley, 21, was handling a shotgun when it fired, said Lincoln Police Capt. David Beggs.

No further information on the shooting was available Sunday night and no charges had been filed.

“He loved her greatly,” said Bryan DeWilde, a longtime friend of Joshua Beasley’s.

DeWilde met Alaina through Josh. They were an incredible couple, he said, and their families are suffering.

“God is in control, but that doesn’t make it any easier at the present time.”

Jobs brought the couple to Lincoln, he said.

The two met through a basketball league for home-schooled students, according to their wedding Web site. Instead of dating, they describe an old-fashioned courtship.

“We are a Christian couple striving to live a life that glorifies our Lord and Savior, Jesus Christ,” they wrote.

Alaina grew up in an Air Force family and lived in England and Japan before settling in Omaha in 2005. She is survived by her parents and two younger siblings.

Last week, she posted a blog entry describing their recent purchase of two guns, a handgun and a 12-gauge shotgun.

“Josh and I practice clearing the apartment in case an intruder were to come we have a plan of action in place,” she wrote.

The entry also describes weekly outings to an indoor practice range and practicing gun safety.

Beggs declined to elaborate on the circumstances of the shooting, as did the couple’s friend.

“Tell people just to pray for Josh and both sets of parents,”said DeWilde.

“Obviously, it’s a terrible loss and a terrible tragedy. That’s the best thing people can do is pray for them.”

Bang... Bang... Bang...
Old February 3, 2009, 12:26 PM   #2
berettaprofessor

Actually the tragedy goes deeper than the above news story; on THR they linked to the following as well, it's the wife's webpage on January 28th 2009 detailing a shooting outing with the family.

http://www.mywedding.com/joshuaandal...ost_18436.html
Old February 3, 2009, 01:50 PM   #3
Russ5924

Sorry to see something like this happen, BUT they didn't buy a firearm they bought a toy to play with guns are not play things As more and more people buy guns I think you are going to see more and more of this happening but hope not??
Old February 3, 2009, 02:00 PM   #4
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Those pictures on her wedding page indicate to me that they have a habit of doing less than safe things with guns. Mr Murphy is not a friend of those who do unsafe things.

Tragedy is tragedy but tragedy brought on by stupid is worse.
Old February 3, 2009, 04:52 PM   #5
Evan Thomas

The pictures (and the young woman's commentary) on their wedding web page are pretty frightening -- talk about an accident waiting to happen!

Quote:
Watch out! (Uncle Doug was the brave one to take this picture! We triple checked to make sure ALL of the guns were unloaded! lol!)
Quote:
Look at Steven holding the gun on them!
I'd say Russ has it right: they thought they were buying toys. And according to the woman's little bio sketch here, her dad was career military -- you'd think he might have taught her better than that...

Sad story.