The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old February 9, 2009, 08:30 PM   #26
EricReynolds

Thanks to Smallgame and DM133 for understanding what I'm saying. Like
DM133 stated, I'm only talking about simple, basic restrictions. I do believe in them though. Some don't and I'm not that kind of enthusiast. That's all I'm saying. Others would have you believe that I'm going to have my Gestapo henchmen rounding up guns along with urine samples in the morning.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:42 PM   #27
roy reali

re:EricReynolds

There is a problem with simple, basic restrictions. They have a tendency to grow into large, sweeping, intrusive laws. Just ask the good people of California what happened to their simple, basic restrictions.
Old February 9, 2009, 09:58 PM   #28
SigfanTN

I like to be fairly open about shooting and my opinions on guns. I had read something awhile back at how a positive stance on guns can be a good determining factor on how honest your politicians are. I use that from time to time in my day to day dealings with people. No, I'm not talking guns with strangers on the street, moreso some of the people who I run across regularly. If I sense any anti sentiment or rhetoric, I try to present facts to help them see otherwise.

So, I'm not an activist, but I like to try to get more people thinking instead of just accepting everything they're force-fed.

Eric: So since the restrictions you advocate are in place already, are you in favor of additional restrictions? If so, what are they and why do you feel they are necessary?

I agree with Fyredup, and I think you are just trying to stir the pot. What the hell, I wanna hear your answers, though
Old February 9, 2009, 11:26 PM   #29
chemgirlie

I fit into several different categories. I'm going to a super-liberal college (I'm an independent whose political ideas are somewhere in between those of libertarians and republicans). It's a bit annoying being around the hippies so often, but at least it gives me a chance to show them that "gun people" aren't crazy, we just have a hobby.
I was brought up around guns and have been shooting ever since I was a little girl. I've been hunting every year since I was 12 (even when I was 8 months pregnant). Outside of hunting I love shooting as a hobby sport too. I'm not quite so much into collecting yet (perhaps once I graduate and pay off some student loans I'll get more into it).
I love teaching new people about the sport and will take pretty much anybody to the range with me provided they follow the safety rules. I love demystifying guns for people and showing them that Hollywood's portrayals of firearms are usually about as accurate as a romantic comedy's portrayal of realistic dating.
As for the political aspect of guns, I live in WI (a state that doesn't allow ccw.) I won't preach to those who don't want to hear it, but I will correct them if they get a fact wrong. I try not to be a jerk about it though. I wouldn't want to listen to somebody if they used the pushy car salesman technique, and I try to keep that in mind when I discuss ccw/AWB/etc. I think the best way to keep laws off of our guns is at the ballot box though, and I vote accordingly.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:01 AM   #30
EricReynolds

Sigfan, you and Fyredup are wrong. I'm not trying to stir the pot at all. I was asked a question and I'm trying to answer it honestly. I favor SOME forms of gun control. That's it. That makes me what? A drama queen? It's all an attempt to get people riled up? Wrong. I'm a gun owner. I'm a veteran. I'm an American on an open forum discussing issues with people who share an interest with me. I thought as an American, I'd be able to speak my mind without being attacked for having differing views than others and called names. I was wrong. I see people on the far left who would like to outlaw all firearms all together. I see people on the far right who seem to oppose any kind of regulation whatsoever. What kind of an enthusiast am I? A middle of the road type. Apparently, that's not cool with everybody.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:20 AM   #31
FyredUp

eric,

Where do you stop with your gun control? If it is proven that white males between the ages of 17 and 23 are the most likely to commit gun crimes would you stop all white males of that age bracket from owning guns? (Statistics completely made up just to prove a point.) That is my issue, we have enough gun laws on the books already. Some of which are not going to do one damn thing about violent crime and anyone with any common sense can see that. Gun laws need to affect criminals, not law abiding citizens exercising their right to keep and bear arms. Until they start to target criminals using guns and not law abiding citizens i am not in favor of any new gun control measures.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:24 AM   #32
Tom Servo
Staff

I carry a gun daily, and have for much of my adult life. I work in the industry, and I'm an avid target shooter. Though I consider myself more of a shooter than a collector, I'll take a pretty gun, or a gun with history, over an ugly, utilitarian one.

I also teach and am in regular contact with my legislators, both state and Federal. I've been politically active since my early twenties. I must be getting old though, because I'm told that I'm "moderate" as well. Apparently, I'm not "extreme" enough for the young folks these days.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:46 AM   #33
noyes

EricReynolds

should a law abiding citizen with a crystaal clear background, working in security be denied the right to carry?

National Defence Plant

No guns allowed on property , inside of out....period.

There now think on that.............
Old February 10, 2009, 02:03 AM   #34
SigfanTN

Quote:
Sigfan, you and Fyredup are wrong. I'm not trying to stir the pot at all. I was asked a question and I'm trying to answer it honestly.
Feel free to answer my question if you like.

Quote:
I'm a veteran.
Thank you for your service...seriously.

Quote:
I'm an American on an open forum discussing issues with people who share an interest with me. I thought as an American, I'd be able to speak my mind without being attacked for having differing views than others and called names.
It's called debate. I'm sure we have much more in common than we differ on, but it would really be boring if all the posts on this forum were:
"I like such and such, and I think such and such"

"Oh, I totally agree. Such and such is awesome!"

"Me to"

Quote:
I see people on the far right who seem to oppose any kind of regulation whatsoever. What kind of an enthusiast am I? A middle of the road type. Apparently, that's not cool with everybody.
No, it's perfectly cool to have a solid opinion and express it. My opinions are a bit further to the right on this issue than your stated position. I may have unintentionally read more into your posts, but altogether I did get the impression you were trying to start a debate on the issue.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:59 AM   #35
Corpsman

I am a gun enthusiast. I let responsible people at the range try my weapons at the range. If somebody comes up to me and asks questions I do my best to answer them. I dont really run into many anti-gun people. I guess they just dont run in my social circles.
Old February 10, 2009, 11:54 AM   #36
akr

If someone asks you, "What the hxxl you have guns for?", just ask them to tell you what their hobby is. Then say "What the hxxl you do that for?" If they say they don't have one, tell them they need to get one.

NRA Lifetime Member
Old February 10, 2009, 12:04 PM   #37
JKHolman

In that I live in a community that thrives on hunting (I do not hunt), anti-gunners very much in the minority. Same for the work place. While not everyone at work has a firearm, there are no anti-gunners (or at least they keep it quiet). Like many of you, I come and go with my firearms. Weeks can go by without me firing a shot. At times I will be at work and suddenly get to thinking about that M1A Springfield. Later in the evening I will drag her out and clean her while watching an old black-and-white film or documentary. Reloading while plugged into some old rock-n-roll or some old country & western music is one of my favourite activities. Overall, firearms are #4 on my list of hobbies.

- JKHolman

Last edited by JKHolman; February 10, 2009 at 02:57 PM.
Old February 10, 2009, 12:22 PM   #38
pax

I fired a handgun for the first time in my adult life when I was in my early 30's. And I loved it so much that I found a way to get paid for loving it, and now work "in the industry."

Politically, I'm a libertarian. I'm not on the far right -- rather the opposite. I think Jim and John, or Joan and Jill, should be able to get married if they want. I think people should be able to live wherever they want regardless of what some political line on a map somewhere says. I'm an evangelical Christian who believes people should be free to choose Christ or to reject Him, and should be free to choose their own path to hell if that's what they want to do. I think the proper place of government is to be small, starved, and weak (but not non-existent; I'm a minarchist, not an anarchist).

I think gun control is stupid, and I think those who put kinder, gentler adjectives on it like "reasonable" or "commonsense" are disingenuous. (Disingenuous = a kinder, gentler way to say someone is lying.)

And I spend a great portion of my free time volunteering to teach other people how not to shoot themselves.

pax
Old February 10, 2009, 12:28 PM   #39
wildturkey76209

Guns to me are (or can be) deadly works of art. I love the intricacies and nuances of the different makes and models. A fine functioning well designed firearm is like a well built car. Beautiful to behold and a joy to use. One can never have too many firearms.
Old February 10, 2009, 02:18 PM   #40
kyle663

as i see it, eric did not say he was in favor of any new restrictions. the ones he specified have been on the books for a very long time. and yes they are a form of gun control/ criminal control. theyre are over 2000 laws involving restictions on the books right now. if they were halfway enforced crime would be way lower than it is. if anything we we need more laws punishing judges and attorneys that plea bargain away gun charges just so they can get a conviction to look good come reelection time.
Old February 10, 2009, 03:59 PM   #41
EricReynolds

Thanks Kyle. It's nice to see that someone recognizes that I'm a reasonable person. And you're correct. I'm not in favor of any new restrictions. New regulations maybe, but no more restrictions.
Old February 10, 2009, 04:42 PM   #42
kyle663

I dont believe we need any new regultions either. if you read even half of the laws on the books now we are regulated way more than needed. no felons can own weapons , mentally unstable people are also disqualified. and so are children. what more regulations do we need?
Old February 10, 2009, 05:33 PM   #43
FyredUp

Quote:
EricReynolds:

Thanks Kyle. It's nice to see that someone recognizes that I'm a reasonable person. And you're correct. I'm not in favor of any new restrictions. New regulations maybe, but no more restrictions.
Okay I am calling you on this semantical BS dance you are doing in this post. Define the difference between regulation and restriction. You simply can't have new regulations that do not restrict freedom. It is impossible.

But giving you the hugest of benefits of the doubt I would love for you to show me an example of one of your new regulations that doesn't restrict my freedom as a responsible gun owner. IF your regulation restricts my freedom it is a restriction...it is that simple..
Old February 10, 2009, 09:24 PM   #44
EricReynolds

1 example: registering guns would be a means to regulate that has nothing to do with restricting. Guns that illegally make their way to the streets through straw purchases would be able to be traced to the original buyer. That buyer would then have to account for the gun. It wouldn't be a restriction at all. Another example: Background checks as simple as a NICS checks at time of purchase. The only people that would restrict would be people who ought not have a gun. So this is my BS dance around the forum? Because I have other opinions than you? I've said it before, I'll say it again. You're rude.
Old February 10, 2009, 10:32 PM   #45
roy reali

re:EricReynolds

Here is a novel idea: enforce existing gun laws, regulation, restrictions, or whatever you call them. Did you know that if a felon attempts to purchase a firearm he has committed another felony? Guess how often this is enforced?
Old February 10, 2009, 11:32 PM   #46
SigfanTN

Quote:
registering guns would be a means to regulate that has nothing to do with restricting. Guns that illegally make their way to the streets through straw purchases would be able to be traced to the original buyer. That buyer would then have to account for the gun
You can't register something that is a protected right. You can require registration for a privilege such as driving an car. Our Constitution does not say the people's privilege to keep and bear arms.

You should do a little research on how registration has led to varying levels of injustice to the owners of firearms. The largest city in your own state proved that it cannot be trusted with registration (http://www.nraila.org/Issues/FactSheets/Read.aspx?ID=41).

There is a lot of information out there, and you don't even have to trust the NRA to find it for you. Look at how registration worked out for our friends across the pond in Great Britain. Here is a rather long essay on where "reasonable" gun control measures can leave us: http://guncite.com/journals/okslip.html

Tell you what: why don't you start a new poll thread in this forum asking everyone "Registration of Firearms - For or Against". We'll see how unpopular this is. I've no doubt there are some here who support you, but you and they will be FAR outnumbered by those of us who believe that government has already lost our trust to the extent that we allow them to track and attempt to confiscate our only means of revolution if it ever came to that.
Old February 11, 2009, 12:13 AM   #47
FyredUp

Quote:
EricReynolds: 1 example: registering guns would be a means to regulate that has nothing to do with restricting. Guns that illegally make their way to the streets through straw purchases would be able to be traced to the original buyer. That buyer would then have to account for the gun. It wouldn't be a restriction at all. Another example: Background checks as simple as a NICS checks at time of purchase. The only people that would restrict would be people who ought not have a gun. So this is my BS dance around the forum? Because I have other opinions than you? I've said it before, I'll say it again. You're rude.
Umm, what country do you live in? We already have a 48 hour waiting period for purchase of pistols in Wisconsin. This includes a criminal background check and filling out federal paperwork. REGISTRATION is here already.

I may be rude in your mind, in my mind you are delusional. Registration is the clear path to confiscation. Anything the government keeps track of is subject to their whim of if and when they decide to confiscate it.

You can have whatever opinion you choose, as can I. You don't like me because I don't sugar coat what I have to say. I don't really care for you because I see you as a compromiser who is more than willing to give away my rights as a law abiding citizen. All the while hiding behind semantics and playing the oh so offended victim.
Old February 11, 2009, 12:40 AM   #48
dark_shades

mild enthusiast or ,so i thought, until i showed my SKS w/Tapco T6 with 20rnd mag. and bipod to someone un familiar with one. ya know, then i had to explain that it wasn't an 'assult rifle'. after a 15 min discussion he said.."damn, your serious about this stuff"LOL so i dont where im at with it
Old February 11, 2009, 01:44 AM   #49
RockyMtnTactical

Gun registration is utterly ridiculous and plain stupid. Not to mention an infringement of rights.
Old February 11, 2009, 05:01 PM   #50
EricReynolds

Gun registration may exist in Wisconsin but it doesn't everywhere. Certain states allow you to walk in a store and leave with an unregistered gun that day. Guns that wind up on the streets are often impossible to trace to the original owner due to lack of registration. Drug dealers in Brooklyn often get guns from a cousin in Atlanta who makes the purchase for him. The cousin in Atlanta has nothing to worry about because it's not going to ever be tied back to him. This is a term called "straw purchasing." I'm totally against guns being registered as a means to be able to confiscate, but merely as a means to prevent straw purchases. If a gun used in a murder is traced by its serial number back to the original owner. That owner will then have to account for what happened to the gun. I understand guns are stolen, but if a guy reports 10 guns a year stolen, he's probably selling them. It's not like this thing doesn't happen. I know a lot of people are against registering guns and I don't think you're stupid or anything like that. I'd like to hear other points of view. Maybe there is another whole point that I haven't taken into account. If so, let me hear about it. I want to have the argument. You might even turn me around on the issue. Does anyone hear what I'm saying about the reasoning for gun registration? I'm not just saying it to get people riled up and I'm certainly not all about guns being taken away from good citizens.