The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 26, 2009, 08:18 PM   #1
advantage1one

Need advice on rear pistol grip for Rem 870

Hi everyone...I have a Speedfeed 4 installed on my Rem 870 and would like to try a tactical/combat rear pistol grip. I've attached two links of the types of grips I'm considering. It will be used strictly for HD> Anybody have any info on which one is better? and which one transfers recoil better? Or, do you have another suggestion I might consider? Thanks in advance for all your help...much appreciated:

Type 1: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...px?sku=SHT-404
Type 2: http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/ItemD...px?sku=SHT-086
Old February 26, 2009, 09:30 PM   #2
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A couple suggestions.....

Mine the archives. There's a zillion threads on why pistol grips sans stocks are egregious in real world crises.

Get the standard stock on your fine shotgun fitting you and Buy Ammo, Use Up, Repeat.

After a while you and your shotgun will be absolutely deadly. And not just look lethal.

And, I reissue the challenge I first made here about ten years ago.

I live in Central MD. I will travel an hour if needed.

You(speaking in general) can use ANY shotgun ever made so long as it lacks a real stock. You pick the COF, the ammo of choice, the ranges.

Belt feed, lazer sights?

Sure.

Slugs?

Of course, heh,heh.

I'll use a well worn, short barreled 870 called Frankenstein hereabouts.

Loser buys the coffee, results published here and on THR.

Any takers?

crickets.....
Old February 27, 2009, 12:22 AM   #3
Scattergun Bob

advantage1one

I do not wish to beat the dead horse. But you did ask for suggestions.

1st - humans are heavily influenced by pictures and of weight are pictures of war fighters from the front. We see a lot of shotguns in these pictures with pistol grip only stocks (PGO) but we must understand that these are not "fighting scatterguns" they are specialized and effective breaching/gas throwing tools. The vendors of "toys" for our scatterguns also see these pictures and have exploited a nitch in the market place (you). They key idea here is that for them it is about money, not effectiveness.

2nd - I my mind you already have one of the most effective and useful "fighting stocks" available, KEEP IT. This manufacture has given great service to myself and many LE agencies with their police model I thru IV stocks. Their PGO stock is again for specialized tools.

3rd - It is difficult to get one's mind around truth that we can and do miss with a scattergun. Myth, legend and folk lore tell us that scatterguns hit without our hand/eye guidance. The reality of the street is that we MUST point the muzzle of our scattergun into a SPECIFIC target to get hits. So, here is my personal reality for you, THE CLOSER THE ENEMY IS TO YOU, THE MORE THE CHANCE OF MISSING. At ten feet our pattern with 00 buck is only about 3" at 20 feet it is about 6", it is not hard to miss with this size pattern.

4th - PGO stocks no matter who makes it do not transfer recoil as well as shoulder mounted stock. They are simply one of those trade offs, to reduce the overall size of the gun, we sacrifice point-ability and recoil management.

Hopefully some of what I have said rings true for you. In the end, you alone have to decide what compromises are to your advantage.

Good Luck & Be Safe

3rd -
Old February 27, 2009, 12:53 AM   #4
cloudcroft

advantage1one,

If you're going to get a rear pistol grip, be sure to get a "matched pair" of them, meaning also one for the front, and that they are both at the same angles and grip size. Mine are from Tac-Star.

Shooting a shotgun with only a rear grip will cause much recoil-trauma to your rear hand's wrist (which you'll notice the next day after a shooting session) while the front hand holding the slide (forearm) won't do much recoil-absorbing at all...the rear wrist takes it all pretty much.

If you don't shoot much or shoot only a very few rounds in a "serious" situation, it probably won't cause problems but a practice session will.

You'll also need to spend time getting used to racking the slide as it will feel quite different but otherwise, it'll be fine.

Good luck,

-- John D.
Old February 27, 2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Bill DeShivs

Pistol grip only shotguns are toys for wannabes, or for the real professionals.
Old February 27, 2009, 06:53 AM   #6
rem870hunter

neither of those. you already have a pg w/buttstock leave it on there. if you really need to change the stock get a non pg type. i agree with Dave and Bob,especially buy ammo,use up,repeat. keep atleast 25 buckshot and 25 slugs handy of what did the best shooting from YOUR GUN.
Old March 1, 2009, 04:17 AM   #7
zippy13

Ditto to what Dave McC, Scattergun Bob, cloudcroft, Bill DeShivs and rem870hunter said. Don't feel like you're being ganged up on, these guys are giving you the real story. As my vastly experienced friend Scattergun Bob pointed out: If you're not breaching or gas throwing, forget a PGO.

Enjoy your Remington 870 and feed it a steady diet of practice rounds.
Old March 2, 2009, 09:42 AM   #8
Chuckusaret

Quote:
Need advice on rear pistol grip for Rem 870
I have both an 870 tactical that has a buttstock and a Mossberg 500 Persuader and I recommend you keep the buttstock. My Persuader is limited to HD only because of the rear pistol grip.
Old March 2, 2009, 09:55 AM   #9
gotguns?

Same here. Wanted a pistol grip for my mossberg persuader despite what these knowing fellas here at TFL said. Bought a hogue tamer from midway that was comfortable to hold and mean looking, but my accuracy went down the drain and it sucked to shoot. So I sold it to a buddy who sold it to a buddy.....
"And what country can preserve its liberties, if its rulers are not warned from time to time, that this people preserve the spirit of resistance? Let them take arms. ... The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants." -Thomas Jefferson
Old March 2, 2009, 10:02 AM   #10
Cerick

I also bought a houge tamer despite what everyone said. I learned my lesson to listen to these guys.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:48 AM   #11
emtgunnut23

Got to agree with the posters here. Don't bother with a pistol grip or any other dodads. I made the mistake of putting a knox folder on my 870. Looking back I would have much rather spent the money on more ammo. If your trying to make your shotgun a bit more handy just get a shortened barrel and practice with it.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:54 AM   #12
cloudcroft

zippy13,

I have to correct you: You may have misread what *I* said: I was NOT one of the people speaking AGAINST a shorty-shotgun as you may believe (since you have my name listed with those other posters).

Just to clear up any confusion...

Regards,

-- John D.
Old March 3, 2009, 12:57 AM   #13
Ruger4570

You can get all the Tacky cool crap for a gun YOU like. I have seen little that works better than a full stock. That aside, go for the "Tacky look" you like and in a REAL shoot em up situation, the worst is that you come in second place. The worse problem, is, you come in second place only once.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:01 AM   #14
JollyRoger

If you are dead set on the pistol grip for your shotgun, get the Speedfeed. I will agree with what everyone else has said that the full stock is your best option. I have fired several pistol grip 12 gauge shotguns with pistol grips similar to your second picture. If they have a straight-down pistol grip with a hump that rides over the web of your hand, the shotgun will beat the heck out of the web of your hand.

The Speedfeed, which looks as if someone just lopped a buttstock off at the wrist is better because it allows the shotgun to rise as it recoils. It takes longer to drop back on target, but it disperses the recoil energy as it rides up instead of jamming straight into the web of your hand.

I know a Deputy U.S. Marshall who came out to qualify with us as a Task Force Officer. His shotgun was cut off just ahead of a standard 870 magazine tube (I'm guessing about 14 inches) with a wood pistol grip shaped like the Speedfeed. Our shotgun qual course includes 2 slugs from the 50 yard line, and when I saw this guy holding his shotgun at eye level, I would have bet there was no way he would get even 1 on target. He hit both, and everything closer in. Could've knocked me over with a feather, but it seemed to work for him.
Old March 3, 2009, 01:23 AM   #15
New_Pollution1086

I agree with most here a PGO is pretty pointless. however if i were to buy one it would be option #2.

Cheaper and better in my opinion.

T
- T. Boone Pickens
Old March 3, 2009, 01:36 AM   #16
zippy13

cloudcroft,

John D, I didn't include you name because you were against a PGO, but owing to the fact that you provided a valid response to the OP. You didn't adamantly suggest a PGO, but gave your honest evaluation of what to expect IF he gets one. Your description of "Shooting a shotgun with only a rear grip will cause much recoil-trauma to your rear hand's wrist" doesn't make me want a PGO shotgun -- it may dissuade advantage1one, also.

Hopefully this explains why I included you with the other posters.
Regards,
Pete
Old March 3, 2009, 10:01 PM   #17
cloudcroft

Okay, Pete, although that crossed my mind, I wasn't sure.

Just for the record then, I sure DO find a use for MY double-PG shorty Mossberg 500 and was not trying to dissuade him (although you're right, that advice might anyway) -- just accurately inform -- but I realize that is minority view on this forum. I guess like those tiny handguns (small autos and NAA mini-revolvers) only a rare few can shoot them accurately even though it's not at all hard to do.

Regardless, my shorty PGx2 was my "car gun" for several years, but now it's in another state (in my safe) with most of my other guns. Down here in hurricane land where one could lose everything (and many people did here after Hurricane Ike), I only brought a minimum # of guns, just for "emergencies." And one extra recently purchased so I can go for my Texas CHL soon...but ALL my shotguns are elsewhere. Next trip back West to visit I MIGHT get my Mossberg 590A1, but I'm not sure.

-- John D.

Last edited by cloudcroft; March 3, 2009 at 10:14 PM.
Old March 4, 2009, 11:24 AM   #18
OLNfan

I would just like to suggest that a mossberg 500 is perfect for these kind of situations.

http://www.davesguns.com/serverpics/...actical-01.jpg
retractable stock comes very handy. its very easy to unscrew the stock off over all great gun im hitting targets head size at 70 yrds with slugs. but mind you its a stationary target! and at that distance I dont know if its just me but its lookin no bigger than a fly at the end of my barrel.

Last edited by OLNfan; March 4, 2009 at 01:10 PM.
Old March 5, 2009, 08:48 AM   #19
greyeyezz

Check out joe with his PG shotty, Tac vest and all

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uoClS...eature=related

Last edited by greyeyezz; March 5, 2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old March 5, 2009, 09:16 AM   #20
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Me thinx joe stuck the instruction manual for PGO operation in his Tac vest without reading the "These things bite on both ends" warning!!!!
I advise much hip shooting to learn this! Then NEVER FIRE A PGO SHOTGUN UNLESS YOUR FORWARD ARM IS FULLY or nearly soEXTENDED
Brent