The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old March 25, 2009, 11:22 AM   #1
jacob

Modern militia groups

Does anybody out there have thoughts about, or experience with, current day militia units? I have been thinking about it a bit, and I have found one that I could join.
Old March 25, 2009, 11:28 AM   #2
Chris_B

What would be the goal of such a group?
Old March 25, 2009, 11:42 AM   #3
Croz

I think part of it is based on your politics and if they align with the group. Many of them are built around very strong political ideals.
Old March 25, 2009, 11:52 AM   #4
kraigwy

I dont know about other states, but Alaska has a ligit malitia. It comes under the Adj, Gen, Departmant of Military Affairs.

The Millitia does not recieve any federal funds. When I was running the marksmanship unit for the Alaska National Guard, it was part of my duties to provide marksmanship training to the AK State Malitia.

They furnish their own firearms, mostly M1s and 1911s. We also had M1C/Ds in inventory so I used that (30 cal) ammo for the training.

Alaska has had a history of the need for a state malitia. During WWII, the AKNG (like other states) was activated. Then SW AK was invaded, the Malitia preformed a vital roll in the defence of the state (territory).

If one is interested, read MEN OF THE THUDRA Col Marsters, for the history of the Alaska State Malitia.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 25, 2009, 12:16 PM   #5
Wildalaska

Its actually called the Alaska State Defense Force and is the Cadre for the statutory militia.

WildnopoliticsthereAlaska ™
Old March 25, 2009, 12:47 PM   #6
overkill556x45

The National Guard?

I'm firmly pro 2A, but some militias even make me a bit nervous. Especially when religion or politics becomes more of a driving force than just training with firearms. Not sure its a fantastic idea.
Old March 25, 2009, 01:32 PM   #7
markr

I don't have a problem with the notion of private militia's as long as they aren't breaking the law. I just view them as being full of dweebs, wanna-be's, conspiracy kooks with little education, and losers that couldn't hack it as a cop or a soldier. Maybe I have it wrong.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 25, 2009, 01:47 PM   #8
overkill556x45

Quote:
I just view them as being full of dweebs, wanna-be's, conspiracy kooks with little education, and losers that couldn't hack it as a cop or a soldier.
Yeah, I was going to be more delicate about it, but...yeah, that's how I see it too. When I lived in northwest MO, we had a very small detachment of white supremacist militia members living by the family farm. They were all guys who skipped out on 'Nam (all had some excuse or another for not going) or barely missed the '91 Gulf War (also lots of excuses for not joining).

If you want to hang out with firearms enthusiasts and sharpen your skills, join an IDPA/IPSC/NRA gun club and go shoot. My impression of most private militias is that they are the ultimate in Mall Ninja-ism--but with an unhealthy dose of political or religious nuttery.
Old March 25, 2009, 02:29 PM   #9
Evan Thomas

Quote:
If you want to hang out with firearms enthusiasts and sharpen your skills, join an IDPA/IPSC/NRA gun club and go shoot. My impression of most private militias is that they are the ultimate in Mall Ninja-ism--but with an unhealthy dose of political or religious nuttery.
Well said, Overkill. Actually, I think your average mall ninja is probably a lot more savvy than your average militia guy, but I could be wrong...

This topic has been extensively discussed in the not-so-distant past:

Here: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=306322

And here: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=307775
Old March 25, 2009, 03:33 PM   #10
BigDog454

As I understand it, our founding fathers had said that every able body man is part of the militia; So that means we all belong, weather or not we go to meetings. I personally don't think that I would agree with what some of those, so called, "militia" organizations promote.
Old March 25, 2009, 04:07 PM   #11
Skans

Quote:
I don't have a problem with the notion of private militia's as long as they aren't breaking the law. I just view them as being full of dweebs, wanna-be's, conspiracy kooks with little education, and losers that couldn't hack it as a cop or a soldier. Maybe I have it wrong.
Ditto. I'd just add that I do see value in militias, but don't like some of the wackjobs that seem to gravitate to these groups. In concept, it would be much better if gun ownerers did organize in militias and train occasionally. At least that way, if/when some tyranical government did come to power, people would already be organized and prepared. If they were made of normal average folks from different walks of life that didn't have a bunch of NWO conspiricy beliefs, they'd probably appear more legitimate....at least to me, anyway.
Old March 25, 2009, 04:11 PM   #12
Tennessee Gentleman

Here is a good place to review some of the issues: http://www.adl.org/mwd/faq1.asp

As you read you will see these groups ARE NOT militia but rather unauthorized paramilitary groups and in some states illegal.
Old March 25, 2009, 04:17 PM   #13
azredhawk44

Frankly, I have a lot more faith in your typical NRA High Power or Three Gun league to have meaningful impact in the event of true action against foreign invaders or domestic enemies, than any given self-styled militia.
Old March 25, 2009, 07:02 PM   #14
markr

On top of being full of dweebs and wanna-be's, I think these groups are pointless because if the fit hit the shan, I will be at home protecting my family and property, not reporting to some goofy "Militia". If some event really did happen, neighborhood groups will form all by themselves.

Washed up 11B1P
Old March 25, 2009, 07:33 PM   #15
kraigwy

Quote:
The National Guard?
No Sir:

The Alaska Malitia I was talking about, is not the National Guard. It's strickly a State Orgination. The National Guard is funded and trained by both the Feds and the State. The Malitia is funded by the State, and only comes under control of the State, and cannot be called up by the feds.

Though both come under the State's Department of Military Affairs, Commanded by the Adjutant General, and the Govenor.

When I said I used NG ammo for the weapons qualification, it was because I stole it from the Ammo I had for my sniper schools using the M1C/Ds.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old March 25, 2009, 08:24 PM   #16
orchidhunter

jacob, You need to give this a lot more thought before you join any group. The more violent groups I joined were composed mainly of courageous neurotics and borderline psychotics. Although willing to fight and die to preserve a system we didn't understand, we were ineffective for just that reason. orchidhunter
Old March 26, 2009, 02:05 AM   #17
Buzzcook

There are several states with "official" militias. Washington state has a militia that uses former military and police to back up civil authority. They don't function as front line troops or police.

The private militia act as a social club with not function except to make themselves feel self important.
Old March 26, 2009, 04:50 AM   #18
M14fan

Tennessee is another state with a state sanctioned militia. Known as the Tennessee State Guard, they do not receive federal funds and are not the same as the Tennessee National Guard.

http://www.tnsg.us/
Old March 26, 2009, 06:56 AM   #19
BlueTrain

It should be noted that under the original concept of the militia in the United States and before that, in the various colonies, the membership in the militia was not voluntary. It was required. The militia had to army and equip itself and was to muster periodically for training. How all this was managed, I have no idea. It was much later that modifications were made to the system that eventually resulted in the National Guard being created but as others have noted, several states retain something that amounts to a "National Guard Reserve," intended to take the place of the guard when it is mobilized, which has happened a lot lately. There are other functions as well. Virginia has one.

I am distressed, however, to learn that under the original militia act, the upper age limit was only 45 (and I'm in my 60s).

It is probably unique in that the members were (originally) expected to furnish their own arms and equipment. That makes it sound almost medieval, though I don't know if the local lords and squires were usually in command. Other countries having militias, and that's what they're usually called, generally operate on a conscript basis, with arms furnished by the government, even if other equipment or uniforms is lacking. That's how the Boers operated, though the upper age limit was higher than 45.

The concept of the militia was widely accepted in colonial times but it was always considered to be an arm of the civil government, never something independent.
Buy War Bonds.
Old March 26, 2009, 09:24 AM   #20
Tennessee Gentleman

Quote:
Originally Posted by M14fan
Tennessee is another state with a state sanctioned militia. Known as the Tennessee State Guard, they do not receive federal funds and are not the same as the Tennessee National Guard.
This organization is different from these "private" militias in that they answer to the Governor. Interestingly, they are not armed nor required to bring weapons with them. They are used mostly for cermonial and humanitarian.
Old March 26, 2009, 12:40 PM   #21
Buzzcook

http://www.adl.org/mwd/default.asp

This is an old site that covered some of the less pleasant militias.

More of the same.
http://www.adl.org/learn/ext_us/mili...cked=4&item=19
Old March 26, 2009, 12:50 PM   #22
Double J

Since 911, the info on private militias has dwindled, in large part to government raids. It's just not safe for any group to advertise themselves anymore from fear of being called a "terrorist training camp". I think you see where this usually leads to. Private armies are also not legal in Amerika.
Old March 26, 2009, 12:51 PM   #23
vranasaurus

Private "militias" are bad news. They often have extremist beliefs and members that commit a great deal of crime.

These organizations should be avoided. They give gun owners a bad name the way outlaw motorcycle gangs give riders a bad name.
Old March 26, 2009, 01:23 PM   #24
lee n. field

The one you want is the Fuzzy Bunny Militia.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old March 26, 2009, 01:32 PM   #25
Shadi Khalil

Seems like a fast way to get on the no fly list.
Closed Thread