The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old May 1, 2009, 07:17 PM   #1
fast-eddie

New Taurus 94 22LR

I just got a used taurus model 94 4''. Don't like the bulbous grips, is there an alternative?
Old May 1, 2009, 07:22 PM   #2
ninjatoth

i got the same gun,and my 2 cents worth is that the only ammo it will shoot well is cci,especially cci blazers.Everything else misfires at least 1/3 of the shots.cci blazers rarely misfire,maybe 1 every so often
Old May 1, 2009, 07:24 PM   #3
ninjatoth

http://www.grips4guns.com/revolver/taurus/small.html
Old May 2, 2009, 03:40 AM   #4
Piper Cub

The taurus 94 is a 9 shot 22LR revolver. I have shot some pretty cheap a$$ ammo in one that worked every time. The exception would be some old ammo that got oil soaked.

Last edited by Piper Cub; May 2, 2009 at 03:53 AM.
Old May 2, 2009, 05:21 PM   #5
Keltyke

+1 for Grips For Guns.

If your Taurus malfunctions, don't whine and do nothing like some others, simply send it back to Taurus. The DO honor the lifetime warranty and repaired my 94 in a turnaround time of about 5 weeks. Works perfectly now.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:03 PM   #6
fast-eddie

I have got around to shooting it yet, it's been ******* outside all day. I guess I'll see how the grips feel when shooting it before I worry about looks.
Old May 2, 2009, 07:19 PM   #7
JollyRoger

As long as you keep the original mainspring, the reliability should be good. I had one and tried to lighten the action up with a spring kit, and got misfires then. The little hammer on this gun just doesn't have the mass to work with a lighter spring & rimfires take more to set them off than centerfires.

I think the 94 is the same size grip as the 85, and you can get grips from Butler Creek that are slim, and pretty cheap.
Old May 4, 2009, 02:37 PM   #8
fast-eddie

.22 long

Can I shoot .22 long from the mod 94? I have no experience with the round, I was wondering just in case by some miracle I could find .22 long or any .22 for that matter.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:08 PM   #9
carguychris

Quote:
Can I shoot .22 long from the mod 94? I have no experience with the round, I was wondering just in case by some miracle I could find .22 long or any .22 for that matter.
.22 Longs and .22 Shorts will both work, with a couple of minor caveats:

1) The shorter cases will cause a ring of powder residue to build up in the chambers and prevent .22LR rounds from chambering properly. This is exactly the same problem encountered when firing .38Spl in a .357Mag revolver, or .44Spl in a .44Mag revolver. The solution is also the same: soak the chambers in powder solvent and scrub with a bronze brush before trying to use the longer rounds again.

2) The twist of most modern .22LR barrels is optimized for a 36-40gr .22LR bullet, so accuracy may not be as good with the lighter 29gr .22 Short on .22 Long bullets. The POI will probably also change.
Old May 4, 2009, 03:43 PM   #10
fast-eddie

.22 94

you know, when I first fired it this weekend, some of the rounds had trouble going into the cylinder. Would that be powder build up?
Old May 4, 2009, 08:53 PM   #11
carguychris

Quote:
you know, when I first fired it this weekend, some of the rounds had trouble going into the cylinder. Would that be powder build up?
It's quite likely.

OTOH since .22LR uses a heeled bullet (i.e. the bullet is the same diameter as the case), powder reside will naturally accumulate past the end of the case and block the bullet to some degree. You just don't notice it when firing a semi-auto because you don't usually shove the bullet into the chamber with your fingers.
Old May 4, 2009, 09:04 PM   #12
ftd

Eddie -
Did you clean the gun, and scrub the chambers? The anti-rust gunk often found in new guns can get gummy from the heat and hold onto all those residues that have been mentioned. See how in behaves after scrubbing the chambers good with alcohol.
Old May 4, 2009, 10:17 PM   #13
fast-eddie

It was a used gun, but seemed pretty clean. I'll try and clean it w/ alcohol tonight. thanks guys.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:17 PM   #14
Laker

Get some Hoppes #9 and a proper cleaning kit. Shouldn't cost more then $15. The proper tools for the job will sever you much better.
Old May 5, 2009, 05:47 PM   #15
fast-eddie

hoppes

Ok, I have Hoppes #9 could use some smaller diameter rods though.
Old May 6, 2009, 10:53 AM   #16
Claddagh

I've got Pachmayr Compacs on my old 4" stainless M94. They work a lot better for me than the factory grips, were easy to find locally and inexpensive.

I've been looking to find a set of the regular (as opposed to "boot" or CCW-type) Uncle Mike's/Butler Creek ones to try out for quite some time without success. Not to jack the thread or anything, but I'd appreciate a lead on where I might get a set.
Old May 17, 2009, 09:10 PM   #17
corsaseven

Taurus model 94

Hello, I purchased a Taurus model 94 back in March. I love the feel and balance of this revolver and it is pretty accurate. The most fun gun that I own, however twice after I fire around 30 rounds the hammer starts to bind when I use it in single action. I called Taurus and they were great about the return. I mailed it back the other the other day. Does anyone know what could cause this problem? Gunsmith's that I have talked to had good things to say about the model 94.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:26 AM   #18
Claddagh

IMO, it's most probably that there're unburned powder flakes or the like getting under the extractor star or into the case rim recesses and causing one or more of the case heads to 'drag' against the recoil shield.

.22 RF ammo is prone to incomplete combustion. The L/LR case was originally developed to allow for a larger volume of BP. Most all of the Smokeless propellant charges in modern RF ammo usually leave a good deal of empty space inside the case.

This allows the charge to 'spread out' along the bottom of the case which can result in less-than-ideal flame propagation and leave some of the powder grains unburned.

If you start to run into the same sort of problem when your revolver comes back from Taurus, just take a few Q-Tips along when you go plinking. When you start to feel resistance in the rotation, empty the cylinder and clean under the star and in the rim recesses. That'll most likely cure it, at least for another few cylinders full.
Old May 18, 2009, 09:17 PM   #19
fast-eddie

I think

If it was used it could use a gooood cleaning, I bought mine used, clean it and now it works fine. First time out I popped 400+ rounds through it, it's even better since my cheepo trigger job.