The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old May 18, 2009, 06:27 AM   #1
Magnum Wheel Man

who can do a couple reasonably priced "big bore" CM barrels ???

I'm looking for a manufacturer that could do a couple 58 caliber barrels in Chrome Moly or equal... most black powder / muzzle loader barrels are done in "lesser" steel, & most "regular" barrel manufacturers don't offer barrels up to 58 caliber... anyone have any suggestions ???

I got the action for my double rifle, & the dies should be here for the 577 soon... ( again, seems like things move way too fast... this was supposed to be next winters project )
Old May 18, 2009, 09:23 AM   #2
Magnum Wheel Man

Well in my searching... so far Krieger comes up as one of the easiest...

they do a chrome moly barrel for the 577 Nitro Express, & do twist rates of 1 in 20" or 1 in 30" as standard... but for a one time additional set up charge, could do a custom twist rate, & they mentioned that they had done 1 in 48" before... which is about what I think I'm looking at ??? cost for 2 barrels would be $645.00 & they have an 18 - 20 week lead time, they could also at no charge, machine the outside diameter to as light as their lawyers would let them. to cut down on my machinists fitting time...

http://www.kriegerbarrels.com/RapidC...CompanyId=1246

I was hoping to find something a bit cheaper, but the normal muzzleloader twist rate on the 58 caliber, seems to keep coming up as 1 in 70" twist, & I'm thinking I want a faster twist rate than that ???

another thing of key importance, is how strong is my action ??? I'll be doing a serial number / date search later today ( my machinist has the barrels trimmed to 22" ) & I'll be picking up the gun today... the serial is at least 5 digits, which puts the manufacturing date at the 1930's as the oldest, so, it should be good steel, since it's a Husqvarna... if the action is strong enough that I could do transition loads to smokeless ( with a filler ), this is what I was hoping for, we think we need the chrome moly barrels... if I'm stuck with black powder level loads only, then maybe the mild steel would be fine, if I could get a faster than 1 in 70" twist rate

still looking for suggestions... thanks

Last edited by Magnum Wheel Man; May 18, 2009 at 09:35 AM.
Old May 18, 2009, 02:09 PM   #3
Jim Watson

Pac-Nor does a .577 N.E. spec barrel with .585" groove diameter and 18" twist for $305 apiece. They can do other twists but probably at extra cost and time.
http://www.pac-nor.com/barrels/

Do you know the twist of a real .577 Snider? I would go with the history or one a notch faster.
Old May 18, 2009, 02:29 PM   #4
Magnum Wheel Man

thanks JIM... I have them bookmarked, but haven't contacted them yet...

I'm still trying to determine the best twist rate... my buddy & I have both been researching, & so far, our best bet, setting up the gun to use Minnie balls ( I'm wanting to build the gun as a cheap shooter... have you seen the price of 577 Nitro bullets ) is probably around 1 in 60"... maybe 1 in 55" ???

I just got my "shotgun" picked up, after trimming the barrels to 22"... I also put a 2nd gun on layaway ( since Cabelas was flooded with premium old exposed hammer double barrels ) the other was listed as "unknown manufacturer" but was much better engraved... I expect the Husqvarna to be a better action for the double rifle, so I went ahead & trimmed the barrels to my prefered rifle barrel length... if the other gun turns out to be better for the rifle build, I may retrim the barrels a little shorter & keep it as a coach gun, but I'm expecting to trim the other as a coach gun to maybe 20" or so... I did a serial number check on the Husqvarna & even though it looks "old", it looks like it was made in 1949...

I'm taking a few pics right now... look for them to follow...
Old May 18, 2009, 02:43 PM   #5
Magnum Wheel Man

a couple pics of the action...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg guns 253.jpg (79.2 KB, 884 views)
File Type: jpg guns 254.jpg (63.8 KB, 165 views)
File Type: jpg guns 255.jpg (79.2 KB, 358 views)
Old May 18, 2009, 02:48 PM   #6
Magnum Wheel Man

... in some ways I'm almost disapointed that I found such a perfect gun for the action... I wanted oiginally to buy a new, strong gun, & put fiber optic ghost ring sights & set it up as a "modern double dangerous game rifle", but finding a strong acion with exposed hammers has me looking at traditional 3 leaf safari sights for this project... new or old looking hmmm... I guess I'm really happy I found a traditional looking action
Old May 18, 2009, 03:04 PM   #7
Scorch

Try McGowen Barrels also. Very good barrels, very good lead times, and they do very good work.
Old May 18, 2009, 03:14 PM   #8
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks for the post... I think I've been to their website before, & I just visited again, but they don't list anything over .510"

... which I find is typical of alot of barrel manufacterers... ???
Old May 19, 2009, 02:08 AM   #9
arcticap

It would seem that Badger Barrels can do anything.

Here's the shop tour:

http://www.badgerbarrelsinc.com/tour.htm?109,12
Old May 19, 2009, 02:25 AM   #10
impalacustom

Call Bartlien Barrels up, they make 20mm cannon barrels so I am sure they would make ones you want. Prepare to spend lots of money and wait a long time though.
Old May 19, 2009, 07:41 AM   #11
Magnum Wheel Man

Thanks guys...

here is a link I found, that links lots of barrel manufacterers, action makers, optics, triggers, etc...

http://www.angelfire.com/mo2/rifleroom/#barrels