The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old May 26, 2009, 08:29 PM   #1
Nykop

I had a kaabooom today

Well I bought a new Kahr K40 a few weeks ago and took it to the range and noticed the spent shell casings were badly dented at the mouth and it appeared the rim was getting a little ripped up I even posted a few pics on here well as everyone said send it back to kahr so I did. I got the gun back today they even polished it up all nice to look like the elite. They said the extractor was a little tight and fixed it. I took it too the range and fired a few mags of win 165gr target ammo and then a few mags of double tap 155gr I decided to fire up a box of 20 federal 155gr JHP to compare to the double tap and after a few rounds kabooom! in my face and my hand was all black from gunpowder. After making sure I still had all my fingers I inspected the gun and found the shell casing was torn up inside the barrel. Me anda few other guys at the range found all the parts.I also found the primer or "head" of the cartridge. I may look like "head seperation" meaning defective ammo but I dont think so. Well, I will call Kahr tomorrow and see what they say. I hope they dont try a wiggle out of this one. Check out the pics. If it wasnt for bad luck I would have no luck at all.

Last edited by Nykop; June 20, 2009 at 06:09 PM.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:30 PM   #2
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

Dang!

Glad you're OK.

How's the gun look? Got any pics?
Old May 26, 2009, 08:31 PM   #3
hoytinak

Any pics of the Kahr....I love seeing broken Kahrs.

Glad you're ok though.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:32 PM   #4
B. Lahey

That's Kahr warranty service for you. I have experienced it myself.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:41 PM   #5
Tatsumi67

I had a similar issue with the one time I tried a Kahr, minus the explosion. I mean the cases being chewed up. shame, twas a fun gun.
Currently schemeing on an AR-15 build.
Old May 26, 2009, 08:41 PM   #6
glock199mm

that sucks about the gun but its good ur ok
Old May 26, 2009, 08:42 PM   #7
CortJestir

Quote:
If it wasnt for bad luck I would have no luck at all.
Au contraire, it sounds like you were very lucky today. I'm also glad the only things injured were the gun and some ammo.

Aside from bad ammo, what else does everyone think would cause this? Unsupported chamber? Firing slightly out of battery? Curious to know what Kahr will make of this...
Old May 26, 2009, 08:54 PM   #8
Nykop

Lucky

Yeah, I am lucky. Always wear goggles guys some shrapnel bounced off them could have been my eye. They will claim to have fixed it and send it back to me and I will put it away like a demon !! Yeah, I have pics its in parts in a box I'm going to ship back tomorrow. Kinda sucks I have the MK40 which I like alot and a K9 I just bought!! My confidence in Kahr is broken!! BTW they are not cheap!! well, back to my glocks! I wonder what would happen if that was a poly gun would plastic parts blow up in your hand? I'm thinking of buying a HK P2000sk now. Like to tell kahr give me back my $$$$$$.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:00 PM   #9
Maligator

Quote:
Au contraire, it sounds like you were very lucky today. I'm also glad the only things injured were the gun and some ammo.
Totally agree! Glad your OK. Guns are cheap and replaceable, body parts...not so much!
Old May 26, 2009, 09:19 PM   #10
James K
Member In Memoriam

Glad there was no injury. Those kind of blowups are usually due to the gun having fired out of battery and normally will destroy the magazine and grips as well as bend the frame.

Let us know what Kahr says.

Jim

Last edited by James K; May 26, 2009 at 09:32 PM.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:21 PM   #11
rsxr22

you cannot go wrong w the hk p2ksk.. It is one of the finest carry guns made and i highly doubt i will ever replace it w/ another carry gun.
Old May 26, 2009, 09:28 PM   #12
Nykop

Thanks

Thanks everyone I will keep you informed on what kahr has to say. I dont think I will use the federal ammo I have 5 boxes of that stuff left and after today I'm not taking any risk. I see "gallery of guns" has the HK2000sk now which model V2 v3?
Old May 26, 2009, 09:48 PM   #13
djohn

Man I hate seeing threads like this I can't help thinking of the worst.Sure glad you aright there sir pretty Dang Scary.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:01 PM   #14
Jim Watson

I do not concur with the "out of battery" theory.
What happens if you keep the slide from going completely into battery?
The barrel remains tipped down at the breech from where it was unlocked to cycle in recoil from the previous shot, right?
In your picture, the firing pin indention is perfectly centered, meaning the barrel was fully up into locked position, which means the slide was in battery.

Further, the primer is not even flattened as I would expect (have seen) in cases of high pressure from overload or deep seated bullet.

Poor brass or feed ramp cut out into the chamber. .40 is too hot to take any liberties with.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:07 PM   #15
Texpass

I had a Kahr CW40, for one half range session. I realize if it is man made every company will have a problem. With that being said my Kahr had multiple firing problems. Tooo numerous to mention, plus I had two range instructors...one who was a Kahr CW9 owner and they were all puzzled by the guns bad behavior. I went back to my LGS and traded in for a Glock 23. A much better move.
Old May 26, 2009, 10:09 PM   #16
Alleykat

So, it's not true, then, that only Glocks KB??
Old May 26, 2009, 11:00 PM   #17
Hellbilly5000

Im glad you are in one piece still
Sorry the gun is not
pics possible?
Old May 27, 2009, 12:41 AM   #18
djohn

AlleyKat,correct its not true only glocks that Go KB,IMO its the 40 cal in general.Take a 180 gr 40 cal w over seating and double the pressure equals cocktail for a KBOOM.I hate that round would not buy a gun chambered for it nor do I trust it, especially in 180 GR.just my opinion though and to each there own.
Old May 27, 2009, 01:17 AM   #19
Ben

I really don't see how that COULD be the guns fault. Looks like bad ammo to me. It's strange because Federal is a VERY reputable company, and it was a light-middle weight round which is LESS likely to cause a KB.

I need pictures of the gun.

Ben
Old May 27, 2009, 01:56 AM   #20
Hommbs

If the rims were getting a little torn before it maybe an issue with the gun unlocking too soon while the chamber pressure is still high. That would also possibly cause a case to fail. May be a fitting issue or a design issue.
Old May 27, 2009, 02:27 AM   #21
Sport45

Glad you're okay!

What did the rest of the brass look like? The Federal 155gr in particular. Do any of them look "pregnant"?
Old May 27, 2009, 03:37 AM   #22
NWCP

HK has quite a long relationship with the .40S&W. While anything is possible with pistols you'd be in pretty good shape with the HK. They have a fully supported chamber. It may very well have been a defective round on your Kahr. My PM9 has been flawless since I first purchased it. I didn't get a PM40 because it is just too small a pistol to allow good control with the .40 round, at least the one I fired was a handful. How much damage and what type of damage was done to the pistol?
Old May 27, 2009, 03:43 AM   #23
eb1ch

let me get this straight

you had a kB and you only posted pictures of the ruptured casing? none of the gun?

thread makes no sense
Old May 27, 2009, 03:54 AM   #24
Dingoboyx

+1 glad you are ok

would like to see pics of the gun too... is it a write off? or are they going to be able to 'fix' it again?
Old May 27, 2009, 06:40 AM   #25
Kreyzhorse

Dude, that sucks. Glad you are okay though.