The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 12, 2009, 08:23 AM   #1
novalty

Nightstand Safe Recommendation

Hello I am loking for a quick access handgun safe. I currently have a large rifle safe that my handgun stays in, but not really quick to access. I have a toddler in the house too, so can't just leave the gun sitting on night stand. Looking for something not excessively expensive, but with interior light so I can access my gun at night. Cabela's currently has a sale on the GunVault Mini 1000 basic w/o light for $79.95. Not sure if people might have some other suggestions, have just recently seen the Winchester Ev line, but only have seen it online not up close. Any suggestions or ideas would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Paul
Old June 12, 2009, 09:57 AM   #2
bababooey32

I have installed the Winchester E-Vault - EV 600 to the back of my nightstand where I keep my HD gun (loaded with one in chamber). It is mounted vertically to the backside of the table (I had to reinforce the back of my table with some 1x4s for attaching the lugs).

The safe has a 4-key keypad in a "hand" shape for easy, no-look code entry. the door is spring-loaded (a must) and a modest interior light comes on (recommended). It is plugged in with a battery back-up. I test the safe (and my reaction time) at least weekly, and I have no complaints

I have a 2.5 and 4.5 yr old running around and I feel the gun is completely safe in this vault. The vault locks after 3 incorrect codes and sounds an audible alarm. We also keep our bedroon door closed and locked when we let the kids roam the house freely or when friends are over.

Hope this helps.
Old June 12, 2009, 12:41 PM   #3
Doyle

I've got the Stack-On model. One thing you should consider. Be sure and get one that opens from the top. That way, you open the drawer, enter your code (in the dark), and draw your weapon without having to lift the safe up.
Old June 15, 2009, 09:01 PM   #4
novalty

Thanks Bababooey32 for the feedback on the Winchester E-vault. I was hoping to hear from someone that had one of their safes. As for mounting it I am not quite sure how to go about it, as the nightstand I have is a perfect level with my bed to grab horizontally, but my nightstand is so small it could be picked up and removed easily.

Thanks for the suggestion Doyle. I will look into the Stack On safe you mentioned. Always appreciate suggestions.