The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

View Poll Results: I own a Kahr PM Series and....
I've never had a problem with it 46 62.16%
I have had reliability issues that worked out at break-in 10 13.51%
I have had issues that required gunsmith/factory help 18 24.32%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Old June 12, 2009, 02:28 PM   #1
Van55

Kahr PM series

Having read quite a few posts on various boards, I am wondering what percentage of Kahr PM owners have experienced reliability issues. Please answer the poll ONLY if you have actual experience as an owner of a Kahr PM semiauto.
Old June 12, 2009, 02:35 PM   #2
hdawson228

I can't speak to the PM series, but my CW9 has been perfect and is so concealable and comfortable.
Old June 12, 2009, 02:52 PM   #3
Niner4Tango

I traded for a used PM 9. It had failure to feed problems and failure to return to battery. Sent it back to the factory, they put a new recoil spring in, and it is just fine now.

Edit to add: Did it require factory help? No, it just needed a new spring. If the problems show up again, I'll ask them to send me a spring and put it in myself before shipping it back.
Old June 12, 2009, 02:53 PM   #4
Ben

I'm sure you'll come across mine if you do a search, but I'm glad I sent it back. It's an EXCELLENT gun now.

Ben
Old June 12, 2009, 03:59 PM   #5
TimNelson

Never any problems at all even through the break in period
Old June 12, 2009, 04:03 PM   #6
hoytinak

You for got the "had to send it back to the factory 3 times for FTF's and it still didn't feed right so you cut it up into 100 little pieces and tossed it in the trash" option.......Granted it was an early one and I've heard they've gotten better but after that experience I won't try another one.
Old June 12, 2009, 04:28 PM   #7
tblt44

My Cw9 has been perfect
This is my most accurate handgun and 100 % reliable
Old June 12, 2009, 05:30 PM   #8
midiwall

I have a PM9 that has just been awesome after break-in. Highly Recommend.
Old June 12, 2009, 05:30 PM   #9
2cooltoolz

I bought a PM9 about a year ago. Had 5 FTFs in the first 500 rounds and has been perfect ever since. I don't count rounds in it anymore, but I think I'm probably in the 16-17 hundred range now.
Everyday pocket carry.

Edit: I just went back and read my initial range report on my Kahr. I had forgotten about the FTE in the first mag! That's 4 FTFs and 1 FTE total. I posted this review on 6/14/09. I was pretty close above when I said about a year ago!

My range report a year ago

Last edited by 2cooltoolz; June 14, 2009 at 12:15 AM.
Old June 12, 2009, 05:43 PM   #10
comn-cents

PM9, CW9 & K9 all almost perfect. The slide stop on the k broke and I got a new one and it was perfect after that. It was one of the first runs of them.
Old June 12, 2009, 08:30 PM   #11
Lou22

I'm 50-50 - my PM9 was fine after break-in. The PM45 required one trip back to Kahr to fix feeding problems.

Lou
Old June 12, 2009, 11:01 PM   #12
RonC

I have an MK9, all metal and the PM9 for a year. Neither have had a single problem. Recoil is a little snappy on the PM9, but not bad for such a light gun.

Ron
Old June 12, 2009, 11:16 PM   #13
randyc74

I have a PM45 and it's been a great little gun. I'm considering a PM9 next.

Randy

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Bulldo...2539637?ref=hl
Old June 13, 2009, 05:38 AM   #14
WVleo

Kahr PM9

Hi, Have had a Kahr PM9 since January 09 and I have not had any issues with it . Over 1,000 rounds down the pipe . Carried daily.......WVleo
Old June 13, 2009, 06:47 AM   #15
CDW4ME

I voted choice 3, but I could have voted in each choice
-PM9: no trouble
-PM40: sent back to factory after break-in; factory corrected problem and it's worked fine since. Magazine catch spring was getting weak lately, but they just sent me another one, no charge.
-PM45: this one had 4 failures to feed with one particular ammo during the first box, but after further break-in shooting zero problems with the same ammo. Since Kahr advises a 200 round break in and the pistol had less than that when the problem happened I count it as reliable.

Yes, you could purchase a PM series and have an issue, but IME the factory will fix the issue and you will have a great pistol that fills a concealment nitch; I can pocket carry the PM Kahr 9 or 40, not so with Glock 26/27 (not basking Glock, I luv em, but they are thicker).
Old June 13, 2009, 10:00 AM   #16
sholling

My PM40 needed a trip to the factory over a feeding issue but has been perfect ever since. Since the little thing is at the bleeding edge of how small it's possible to make an accurate and reliable 40S&W it seems reasonable that some percentage would need tweaking.
Old June 13, 2009, 02:45 PM   #17
fairview mick

kahr

I had a PM9. Worst trigger I've ever had on a "Quality" gun. Sold it immediately.
Mickey
Old June 13, 2009, 03:51 PM   #18
verdun59

I've had a PM9 since they first came out. Zero problems, a nice gun, nice size, and I think well made.
Old June 13, 2009, 04:20 PM   #19
Amurr

WOW!!

This poll jus made it a fact that I will never own a Kahr.....

like 35% needed a gunsmith
Old June 13, 2009, 07:50 PM   #20
HKFan9

This pole didn't really prove anything, and I'd bet my money on that most people who had issues with their's had them in earlier runs of the gun. I've owned/own a firearm from almost every major manufacture, H&K, Sig, Glock, Kahr, S&W, Walther ect. My PM-9 has replaced them ALL, for year round carry. If you do a little search most problems I read about on the forum were with the ealier runs of the PM series, especially the .40. I think people are just jealous their beloved HK, Glock S&W, whatever, hasn't come out with small single stack auto's that are as nice as Kahrs. My PM-9 is built as nice if not nicer than my HK, and runs just as reliable as my Glock. If you want to group off them into the bad I really feel sorry for you or anyone doing the same because I feel they are great guns who may or may not had to work some kinks out in the beginning.

My PM-9 has never experienced any issue no matter what I feed through it, I even mixed magazines with WWB round nose, PMC flatnose, and Speed Gold Dot hollow points and still couldn't get it to jam or misfeed or FTE.
Old June 13, 2009, 08:24 PM   #21
brewster

My PM9 has been perfect! I am very happy with it.
Old June 14, 2009, 12:09 AM   #22
2cooltoolz

Quote:
This poll jus made it a fact that I will never own a Kahr.....

like 35% needed a gunsmith
You know, that's fine with me and as it should be. The thing with polls is, a lot of people drop in to vote their internet informed opinions. I've done it, too. And you shouldn't carry what you don't trust, for whatever reason.
I'm not trying to sell Kahrs here. I don't care, really. But you might notice that most of the people who actually wrote something were generally positive. Usually, the people who feel like they got taken are the first to step up and tell you about it.
I consider myself to be a SIG guy. But I've owned three Kahrs; two MK9s and a PM9 and I carry the PM9 everyday.
If SIG made a 9X19mm the size of the PM9, I would carry a SIG. But it comes down to having a gun that you trust to do the job, that you will actually carry with you EVERY time you walk out the door.
Right now, for me, that's the PM9. In my pocket tonight through dinner with the family, rental movie with the wife ("Gran Torino" 2 thumbs up!) and now with you guys, then out for my dogs' midnite last chance walk.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:36 AM   #23
Playboypenguin

Quote:
The thing with polls is, a lot of people drop in to vote their internet informed opinions
Yes, you can rest assured that at least 3/4 of the people that voted their Kahr needed a gunsmith have never even owned a Kahr...or ever even met a gunsmith. It is just fun for them to say negative things about guns they do not own. You see that a lot with every gun brand.

I personally am very picky about what guns I own and have a very high standard for quality and performance. I am no expert when it comes to guns, but I am fairly knowledgeable and have a fair amount of experience.

I did a lot of research awhile back before buying my first polymer Kahr. I had heard some negative things and wanted to see what I could find. What I found was a bunch of people repeating a small number of stories over and over and even more people saying stuff that just wasn't true. I also found that the vast majority of people who actually owned them were thrilled with them so I bought my first one...which was a CW9. I like it so much I bought a PM9 shortly afterwards and it has become my primary carry. It is so light, thin, and easy to carry that it disappears under the lightest summer shirts. It has even pushed my Rohrbaugh out of my carry line up.

One word of caution I would give about polymer kahrs is that there does seem to be credible evidence that the .45acp pistols have some issues...but it also seems that Kahr stands behind the ones that have issues and repairs them quickly and properly. Still, I have avoided the .45acp PM series guns just to be safe. I find the PM40 to be more than powerful enough anyway and the PM9 is quite acceptable with +p ammo.

Last edited by Playboypenguin; June 14, 2009 at 01:44 AM.
Old June 14, 2009, 01:43 AM   #24
Playboypenguin

PS: Here are some Kahr threads I have started that may be of interest to you

Kahr CW9 Range Report

Kahr PM9 Range Report

Kahr PM/Rohrbaugh Comparison
Old June 14, 2009, 09:28 PM   #25
DoctorXring

My Kahr P40 Covert --

Very smooth, accurate, and controllable pistol. I've had MANY pistols.
This one is top dog for concealed carry. And this chihuahua has some
strong teeth, but doesn't bite the hand that feeds it. Wonderful pistol !