The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 18, 2009, 06:45 PM   #1
Jofaba

Two wheels, the road, you, and concealed carry

Resurrection of the "Guns and Motorcycles" thread. I loved it. I want it back.

So, show your bi-wheeled companions and your sidearm companions.

I'll start, and you'll see why I changed things up a little. Laugh if you want, but it's fun to ride and I'll be modifying it to go faster as soon as I scrap together a little cash.

2009 Honda Ruckus, 49cc. Just broke 400 miles today on this, it's 22n'd day in my hands.

As for carry, I have my permit but I dress extremely lightly in the summer and think that my Beretta is too heavy. Once I get my 9mm Kel Tec I will start searching for a lightweight and comfortable holster.

To be quite honest with you, I always wear swimming shorts with the netting cut out. Obviously I need a new style to suit my needs.

That said, I finally get to go back to the range for the first time in months. My concealed carry permit allows me to get to the range without breaking the law. I wouldn't want to take the risk of trying to prove that you can legitimately separate the gun from the ammo on this kind of vehicle.
Old June 18, 2009, 10:41 PM   #2
Sevens

Got back last Sunday from my first extended cycle trip with carry. Let's talk numbers: This one was four days, six states, one Glock, ten rounds, two wheels, four cylinders, and 1,401 miles.

Some motorcycle enthusiasts may recognize the road I'm on here. That's my blue '01 Kawasaki Concours. I've had it about 2.5 months. Took me a bit to sort some things out, but I'm loving this bike.

Method of carry was IWB. Model of Glock was 29. High-water mark of MPG was 48. Low was 36. 30 miles of darkness, 50 miles of fog, 275 miles of rain, then perfect weather for remaining 1,050.

Pictured U.S. highway is, of course, 129. Nirvana came in the form of a Parkway, named after Ridge the same color as the pictured cycle. Not allowed to carry on said Parkway until February, 2010. Certainly will the next time I'm on it.

Red helmet that clashes with the bike obscures a large grin. Helmet is a dead-perfect match for my other bike.

Been home five days, still riding the wave of this trip. Gaston Glock was a fine passenger on this trek.

Last edited by Sevens; December 21, 2014 at 04:41 AM.
Old June 19, 2009, 10:03 AM   #3
lomaxanderson

you ride the scoot dresed as described in your first post?...good leather is cheaper than skin graphs
I don't ride anymore but I do carry my 1911 in the same place .Enjoy the open road ...be safe

Mason Rhea Gsd
Old June 19, 2009, 02:19 PM   #4
hardluk1

I ride a 86 fxr and carry either a 38 relover or a pf-9 9mm pistol and do wear either leather or textile all the time.
Old June 19, 2009, 03:23 PM   #5
doh_312

I dont have a bike yet. But I do ride my pedal bike with my snub .38
Old June 19, 2009, 03:59 PM   #6
Jofaba

Yes, yes it is a risk. But at least I'm wearing a helmet. Most people around here don't even wear that.
Old June 19, 2009, 04:12 PM   #7
Slopemeno

So how do you like your Ruckus anyway? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and those things are just about everywhere. My wife and I have even talked about buying a scooter for short trips to the store.
Old June 19, 2009, 04:16 PM   #8
#18indycolts

Quote:
Resurrection of the "Guns and Motorcycles" thread. I loved it. I want it back.
According to your pic, I would have called it Guns and Scooters.
Old June 19, 2009, 04:38 PM   #9
Shane Tuttle
Staff

Quote:
According to your pic, I would have called it Guns and Scooters.
So, what's your point, Colt? Trying to belittle a fellow member to make you feel superior?

Quote:
Got back last Sunday from my first extended cycle trip with carry. Let's talk numbers: This one was four days, six states, one Glock, ten rounds, two wheels, four cylinders, and 1,401 miles.
That's quite the ride. I was wondering why you've been slacking on your posts in Reloading...

Where does your IWB settle on you? Right behind the hip or do you favor closer to the small of your back?

Posting and YOU: http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/posting
Old June 19, 2009, 04:51 PM   #10
chris in va

Ah yes, the Blue Ridge Parkway. Nice ride.

Here's mine, shortly after I rescued it out of a guy's pasture where it sat for 6 years. I think I made out pretty well for $500.

I usually carry my P11 in a jacket pocket as I've heard too many horror stories of broken hips when falling on the gun.

Quote:
So, what's your point, Colt? Trying to belittle a fellow member to make you feel superior?
Motorcycles are also called 'scoots', so I doubt he was trying to belittle him.

Last edited by chris in va; June 19, 2009 at 04:56 PM.
Old June 19, 2009, 04:56 PM   #11
Jofaba

My big question besides dressing to carry in the summer, is what do you do when you need to access areas that do not allow carrying. You need to be able to transfer to your bike without being obvious, AND know that your gun is secure. What do you guys do? Or do you just avoid that situation altogether, and on those rare occasions that you know that you'll end up at one of those places, you just don't carry that day?

ps, I didn't cal it scooters and guns because I'm pretty sure that I am a minority here. I enjoyed the motorcycle thread, no one else had started it yet, and whether you see it this way or not, there is very little difference between a scooter and a motorcycle. Engine size,body shape and a few mechanical variations. Other than that, it's you on the road on two wheels with a motor between your legs.

Lighten up brother, just enjoying the road and my 2nd amendment right.
Old June 19, 2009, 05:36 PM   #12
Bud Helms

#18indycolts, I was thinking the same thing!
Old June 19, 2009, 06:16 PM   #13
Sevens

Quote:
Here's mine, shortly after I rescued it out of a guy's pasture where it sat for 6 years. I think I made out pretty well for $500.
Sounds good when you say it like that and show the pic, but you've obviously put a lot of elbow grease and love in to that Wing. You say $500, but I'll bet it didn't look like that the same day it came in from grazing in the pasture!

Quote:
That's quite the ride. I was wondering why you've been slacking on your posts in Reloading...

Where does your IWB settle on you? Right behind the hip or do you favor closer to the small of your back?
Yeah, I've missed a couple of pages in all my favorite forums! Were there any good posts about not being able to find primers? Any good discussions debating 9mm vs. .45? Anyone tell anyone else to buy a Glock while I was gone?!

I wear it solid just behind the right hip. Hard to tell in the pic as the mesh jacket and the pants kind of get lost there, but if it looks like you might see something, that's my G29. I don't think anyone can see it. It's quite comfortable... a noticeable feel on my hip, so I'm not worried that it fell out on the last sweeper, but comfy enough that it sits there for the entire day with no trouble.

I even hit a gun store while on the trip, off WV Route-20 in Athens, WV. I bought a one pound bottle of Alliant Power Pistol while I was there. (always like to buy at least one item when I stop in a random gun store that I've never been to before)
Old June 19, 2009, 07:52 PM   #14
pax

Deleted a couple. Keep it on topic, please.

pax
Old June 19, 2009, 07:59 PM   #15
Jofaba

Anyway, another question is about crashing. If, God forbid, you get into an accident, what is your responsibility for your gun? If it leaves you during the crash, what are your responsibilities, and if it goes off are you liable?
Old June 19, 2009, 08:15 PM   #16
YARDDOG(1)

Heck PAX your quick went to check profile & threads were GONE
Old June 19, 2009, 08:18 PM   #17
YARDDOG(1)

JOFABA If you can get some inexsenceve saddles with lock will work & you have extra storage JMO
Old June 19, 2009, 08:25 PM   #18
Jofaba

Quote:
JOFABA If you can get some inexsenceve saddles with lock will work & you have extra storage JMO
Saddlebags mean you have to transfer the gun though.
Old June 19, 2009, 09:52 PM   #19
#18indycolts

saddlebags? where would they go? Can't even see where the motor is!
Old June 19, 2009, 11:27 PM   #20
Tex S

Quote:
So how do you like your Ruckus anyway? I live in the San Francisco Bay Area, and those things are just about everywhere.
I don't find that hard to believe...
Old June 19, 2009, 11:37 PM   #21
Tex S

I can't quit laughing!!!
Old June 19, 2009, 11:54 PM   #22
Doc Intrepid

I carry a Kahr PM-40 in one of these...

http://www.coronadoleather.com/browse.aspx?c=7&n=775786

They're well constructed and pretty burly - I've worn one of the 4 I own during over 40 trips to Russia.

Wear it under a jacket if you like, especially during cold weather. If you must transfer the gun to the bike you can simply remove the vest and put it into the saddlebags.

But I'd think twice about leaving a firearm unsecured. Leaving it on a bike, even in a locked saddlebag, is generally something that could be avoided with some foresight. Not always, but often.

Live safe.
Old June 20, 2009, 01:19 AM   #23
Preacher13

I open carry a S&W .38 special or a .380 Colt Mustang on my scooter while in Louisiana, here your vehicle is considered the same as your home and open carry is legal.. Been shooting since the 50's and riding since the 60's. Photo is from last fall when I first got this '09 Ultra Classic I'm riding now. Taking it in late for it's 10K miles service Monday.

Last edited by Preacher13; June 20, 2009 at 01:26 AM.
Old June 20, 2009, 08:39 AM   #24
Sevens

Preacher, you oughta be ashamed!
Forcing that dog to smoke, what are you thinkin', man?!

"Whoa... he fish-lipped it!"

Back on=topic-- Doc, you've ridden through Russia four times? Outrageous. You didn't also carry a handgun on those rides, did you?
Old June 20, 2009, 10:19 AM   #25
hardluk1

Darn good look wing, i would like to have that inmy garage to keep the fxr company. I do carry when cross BR right of way . I do have a trunk that i can put on in about 10 minutes for the gun a wifes stuff an thats about the only time i get on the Br anymore even though i live just under Mount Mitchell's shadow. To many great rodes with out getting on a slow road full of pot holes.