The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 6, 2009, 02:07 AM   #1
cek

National Arms Co. No. 1 Deringer

Gun #5 in my series of posting guns in my collection.

This tiny thing is a National Arms Company No. 1 Deringer. It is also called the "All Metal No. 1 or First Model Deringer." The same design was made by Moore's Patent Firearms Co..

According to Flayderman's National made these from 1865-1870 (Moore's made theirs from 1860-1865).

"The Moore is of importance to the collector as it was the first of the large caliber metallic cartridge deringer pistols."

National Arms Co. was purchased by Colt 1870. Marketed by Colt as late as about 1885. General Custer owned #2443.

This one was manufactured about 1864. It has a 2" barrel which Flayderman describes as "slightly scarcer...will bring small premium".

I'd love to know the significance of the stamp on the breech.

The ruler shows how diminuative these were!

These took .41 caliber rimfire cartridges.

My father's notes read "NRA Very Fine. Mechanically sound; markings and engravings sharp; much original finish; 30% silver plate." I think that's about right.

Comments?

(Oh, now that I've learned how to take great macro photos I'll be going back to the previous 4 guns I posted and post new pics...someday <g>).
"My Constitutional right to bear arms is, to me, the most significant example of my American heritage of individual freedom and human dignity. Such a right implies that my Government trusts me and, in turn, is worthy of my trust." - Charles E. 'Ted' Kindel (My dad), Gun Digest #19 1965
Old October 6, 2009, 07:53 AM   #2
SDC

Very nice condition; I'd say that the stamp on the breech is just an assembly number, allowing the barrel and the grip to be processed through in lots during manufacture, but still returned to their proper pair for sale ("72" - "1272"); at the time these were made, most guns required a certain amount of hand-fitting to work properly, so they wanted to ensure that once they had all the parts working together properly, they wouldn't get separated again, even though they HAD to be separated for things like polishing and plating.
Old October 6, 2009, 08:57 AM   #3
koolminx

Beautiful beautiful piece! I only hope to get one so nice in my lifetime!

That L 72 looks like December 1872 to me.... But I know nothing of smithy practices...
Old October 14, 2009, 09:36 AM   #4
Claude Clay

L 72 on the breach face is likely the earliest version of 'macro' stamping the
fired case for forensics

nice item. i have 18 .41 rimfires.......wanna get together some time?

Make a fire for a man and you warm him for the night
Light him on fire and you warm him for the rest of his life