The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 2, 2010, 11:38 PM   #1
Blue Gator Six

Ruger LCP 380

I ams in thinking of buying the Ruger LCP for a carry gun any thoughts? I have had Rugers in the past but never a 380.
Old January 3, 2010, 12:59 AM   #2
DanimalFL

I got one for the wife but I like so much I carry it more than her.
200 Rounds without a single malfunction. Its so easy to carry with a pocket holster it fits very comfortable in the front or back pocket of jeans.
Does have very snappy recoil for only 8-9 inches of penatration.
Old January 3, 2010, 01:08 AM   #3
michael t

Basically a better looking KelTec . Both are reliable and take a little getting use to . Small size, lite weight ,long trigger and recoil For a pocket pistol a good deal But not a range pistol
Old January 3, 2010, 02:40 AM   #4
jon_in_wv

Agreed, but to qualify that it isn't all that bad on the range either. It is more accurate and rewarding to shoot than I thought would be possible with such a weapon. I've shot over 250 rounds in one session with mine and I didn't find it hard to do at all. I've shot roughly 500 rounds through mine and I like it a lot. It does take more concentration and practice than a larger weapon but you wold be surprised by what you can do with it. I find it much more accurate and pleasant to shoot than any snub nose I've had.
Old January 3, 2010, 02:56 AM   #5
rgates

I've had one for a few weeks now. I was really surprised by it for several of the same reasons already mentioned. Very happy with it.
Finally... comfortably armed.
It is so light and easy to carry, you can just drop it in a pocket and go.
Old January 3, 2010, 04:23 AM   #6
roman3

I was one of the Beta testers, got mine, real early. Over 1000 rounds of all sorts of ammo (HP and FMJ) and only the very first mag had one FTF. And that was probably me trying to figure out the best grip to use. Since then flawless.

Yes mine had to be "recalled" for the updates on the hammer, and mine had the peeining issue (newer models have both of these addresed). I was kind of leary of sending in a gun that worked fine, you never know what you get back. But no issues so far. The fixed all the issues and put on the newer slide lock.

I like to use the Remington Golden Sabers and the Santa Barbara FMJ. The Rem, is the heaviest 380 and the SB is the (or certainly feels like) the hottest FMJ.

For Florida its a great little pocket pistol, lightweight to fit in almost any type of shorts pocket.
Old January 3, 2010, 04:42 AM   #7
RockyMtnTactical

My brother has one. So does my Bro-In-Law. They seem to work well.
Old January 3, 2010, 07:22 AM   #8
Kreyzhorse

I bought a LCP when they first came out. Mine was a pre-recall model, but I had zero issues with it prior to the recall work and zero issues post recall. All and all, I'm very happy with it. It's well made and I've had zero FTF or FTE.

The gun is small, I've got big hands, and it's light so it does have some recoil and I can't keep a firm grip on the gun. It's not a range target gun, but it's accurate and is great for point and shoot reaction shooting.

I highly recommend the LCP.
Old January 3, 2010, 07:42 AM   #9
CDW4ME

LCP is a great pocket gun. Desantis Nemesis pocket holster, easy to carry it.
Old January 3, 2010, 08:38 AM   #10
jman841

I have shot a few hundred rounds through one. Very reliable, not a single malfunction. Takes a little while to get used to shooting it because the front sight is very small and the trigger pull is very long. The recoil is fairly snappy but thats to be expected for a small light pistol. The trigger also pinches my finger on each shot, which while not critical, its somewhat annoying at the range.

But, having said all that, it is an excellent carry piece and very reliable. I will be picking one up soon as well.
Old January 3, 2010, 09:52 AM   #11
Blue Gator Six

Thanks Guys. You have sold me on it. Now I have to wait for the dealer to get some more in. He has the best price in town and has sold out. Thanks again.
Old January 3, 2010, 10:18 AM   #12
tristar viper

How would you guys describe the recoil on this gun? My wife, before buying her Bersa, didn't even want to shoot this gun because she heard so many "horrible recoil" stories. I was kinda hoping she'd end up with the LCP, but I have to wonder now who was exaggerating the extent of the recoil among the people who told her how awful it was.....is it really that bad?? I have no opportunity to shoot one so all I can do is ask you guys what you think.
I could probably also go to youtube and see a video I imagine......I didn't think of that until now.
Old January 3, 2010, 10:31 AM   #13
Elvishead

Get a Hogue* universal grip sock for it.

Personally, I didn't like shooting one, but, that doesn't mean I wouldn't buy one in do time. My fingers were to long for the grip to trigger ratio.

PS: read up on the Sigma DA trigger. Hint!
Old January 3, 2010, 10:35 AM   #14
roman3

Your wife got a good recoil manageable gun in the Bersa. The LCP has much more bark and snap. I shot the Bersa and the recoil is very good. The LCP is not as good.

Your wife should stick with the Bersa...if she like it.
Old January 3, 2010, 10:41 AM   #15
tristar viper

She does like it.....she likes it a lot. It's a really pleasant gun to shoot and it shoots accurately too. On sale for $250, her Bersa .380 is VERY hard to beat.
I might want an LCP for myself, that's really why I asked. I had a friend who bought one, and before I got to shoot it he went to Florida til April!!!
Old January 3, 2010, 11:02 AM   #16
katana8869

Blue Gator Six I think that you are making a good choice. IMO The LCP is a huge improvement over the P3AT (and yes I have owned both). I will echo the others here in saying that I have had great results out of mine.

It is small though, no doubt about it and that can take some getting used to. Within 5-7 yards the gun will put everything where it needs to be, and I don't find the recoil of the gun uncomfortable at all. My 642 recoils harder actually.
Old January 3, 2010, 11:08 AM   #17
skydiver3346

Ruger LCP:

Great little pocket gun (with Desantis holster). Pretty accurate at distances it was intended for. The only thing I would suggest to improve this little dynamo is better sights.
Old January 3, 2010, 11:29 AM   #18
rgates

From everything I had read I was expecting pretty bad recoil. Now that I've got one I have to wonder where those stories come from. My 9x18 Makarov kicks considerably harder and it's not bad. Granted I've not found any 102 gr Golden Sabres yet to try(and I want to) and all I've used yet is 95 gr. Federal FMJ but if the Sabres were too hard for her the 95gr. FMJ would possibly get better penetration anyway.
LCP is a sweet shooter for it's size.
Old January 3, 2010, 12:04 PM   #19
roman3

Well for you I would recommend the LCP (as I did) the recoil is not uncontrollable, its just not the same as the Bersa. Physics...

The Remington are not to hard on the gun. The Corbon PP seemed to have more snap. And the Santa Barbara actually caused trigger slap, rather painful trigger slap. FWIW the Corbon DPX felt weaker than the regular Corbon.

There was some "unoffical" test of the heavyweight 380's, (Remington and Buffalo Bore) the link is gone now, on both the LCP and Kel Tec sites. Ammo fired into meat. The Remington expanded nicely and penetrated adequately.

This guys testing suggested in his view the top 4 loads were;

1. Remington GS
2. Corbon PP
3. Speer Gold Dots or the Buffalo Bore Gold Dots
4. Corbon DPX - He considered these overated as they did not do as well.

Given the price to round cost of a box, I usually go with the Remingtons but would not hesitate to carry the others. The local store has the Golden Sabers all the time...for big $.

I picked some up at the gunshow yesterday for a decent price.
Old January 3, 2010, 03:58 PM   #20
DanimalFL

It could be a gender thing I like my LCP but dont really like shooting it.
My wife thinks it just fine and Im a big baby same thing with my 357 I dont like shooting 357 magnums I would rather shoot 38s in it but my wife doesnt mind the magnums at all.
Old January 3, 2010, 06:14 PM   #21
Blue Gator Six

Thanks for all the input. You guys are great. It has been my experience with any Ruger that I have owned it has had a big recoil. So I'm used to it I guess.
Old January 3, 2010, 07:35 PM   #22
ttheel

All I can do is speak from my experience. I bought the LCP because I thought it would make it easier for me to carry. Turns out I was right. I carry concealed more than I ever have before since purchasing it. I have also been suprised at just how accurate these mouse guns are. Last time I ran a couple of magazines of Golden Saber's through it from 8 yards my group was the size of a baseball.