The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old January 10, 2010, 01:43 AM   #1
dustinmarciniak

Taurus 627-.357 Tracker

Hi just wondering if anyone has and knowledge they would like to drop on me about the 627 Tracker. I just went to the gun shop today and put it on layaway. Now I know I can sy this till I'm blue in the face, but I'm not getting a Ruger or S&W revolver. The Tracker is what I'm getting, anyone who's owned or shot one let me know what you think.
Old January 10, 2010, 02:55 AM   #2
Qwiks draw

just happen to come from where the Taurus Trackers roam. Cue the "Home on the Range" music, please.

Now that we have that bit of silly stuff out of the way I have to say that I do not own a 627 Tracker, but know those who do.

I do own the Tracker's alike kin, the model 66 (2 of them), the model 65, and the 82.

What follows is only a fraction of the 627 links that can be brought forth.
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=2594.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=3327.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=3654.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=4183.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=5414.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...p?topic=8806.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=27670.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=29238.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=19518.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=25072.0
http://www.taurusarmed.net/forums/in...?topic=22682.0

There's the scoop on them.
Old January 10, 2010, 08:41 AM   #3
rodwhaincamo

I own the Tracker in 44 Mag. The barrel isn't straight and the cylinder is canted downward. The trigger isn't great, but that can be fixed. It also repeatedly hung up when I used Blazer 44 Spls. I do love the grips and how manageable the recoil is due to the porting. The finish is good as well. Wish I would have saved a few more pennies and looked harder for a used Redhawk.
Old January 10, 2010, 09:58 AM   #4
roaddog28

I owned a 627 Tracker for three months. I put a total of 50 rounds in the gun. The shell casings were sticking so bad after firing I had too use a screw driver to pry them out. I took the gun back to my gun store and the gunsmith looked at the revolver. He said quote: "this is the worse cylinder bore finish I have ever had". I sent it back to Taurus and after two months of waiting finally got the revolver back. They did not fix the problem.

Long story short, I sold the gun back to my gun shop and bought another revolver.

Good luck with yours,
roaddog28
Old January 10, 2010, 10:28 AM   #5
Para Bellum

Geee-susss! :barf:
Old January 10, 2010, 05:25 PM   #6
Colorado Redneck

357 in a Tracker

I owned a 357 tracker with a 4" barrel for a couple of years. My wife has a S&W 66 in 357. Seriously, I could not tell the difference. They both shot the same for me. Wifey liked the 66 and I wanted something else...can't even remember what I traded the Tracker for. Never had a misfire, never had a problem. It had 7 round capacity. The sights worked fine. Probably put 800-1000 rounds through it.

I took it up the kazooski when I treaded it...cause of this claptrap about Taurus guns.
Old January 11, 2010, 10:19 AM   #7
MoBart

I've been carrying a 617 (same frame as the tracker) in .357 Magnum. My only complaints are 1; I hate the factory grips and the only option I have found is a soft rubber grip from Houge. 2; the weight is a little much sometimes but, it holds 7 rounds so not that bad to be honest. I use a good don hume belt and paddle holster. I think its a good set up and even if heavy it isn't that uncomftrable after several hours. I have shot it with all kinds of loads over the last year and a hlaf, I usually carry 125 +p .38 specials in it. I thought about usuing 125 gr magnums whenit got colder and we were all wearing heavy coats but, after shooting several cylenders full decided the .38 would be fine, lol.

Yours should be, if I'm not mistaken, a 4" ported gun. If so, your going to be alot more comftrable shooting full bore magnums.

I love Ruger revolvers, and nobody would argue against a smith revolver, but give taurus a break, they have retooled in the early 90's and have been making very high quality revolvers ever since. I also have to say, if you'll guarntee something for the life of the product, its probably a good piece of gear. I've had several over the years and I love taurus revolvers. Even the semi auto pistols are way better then they used to be. When I was a security geek years ago we would see guys carry the taurus 92's as duty guns and made fun of them. Some of our more misguided associates even called them gehto beretta's. Now, I have had a chance to play with a couple, and I like them as much as my beretta. I prefer the placement of the safety, but thats where the original beretta design had it. The finish on them is a little iffy, I'll give you that, but they are good pistols. I would not hesitate to buy one if I find a deal on a used one.
Old January 11, 2010, 02:37 PM   #8
Ian0351

You should go over to taurusarmed.net (just follow the links above). The bashers who abound on this board have primarily zero experience with Taurii and hate on them because they are gun snobs. The other forum was made specifically by Taurus owners to share practical information about decent, cheap workingman's guns.

Sure, decent is not superb, but it gets the job done.

Semper Fidelis
Old January 11, 2010, 02:42 PM   #9
Stainz

We had a guy at the range who briefly owned a Taurus 627 - and sold it due to it's spitting with .38 plinker ammo. A close friend, now deceased, bought a new blued 4" 66 7-shooter, against my suggestions. It was a good one... I even resprung it, lightening the trigger tremendously - and Taurus sent him a different grip. It didn't spit any more than his old beater S&W 10, so he was happy. He only shot .38s, too. He would have been saddened to learn that when the EMTs didn't lock his door, someone took it - and a Beretta 92FS -from his home and after having his remains transported. They left a 6 month old S&W 63 - and a Taurus PT1911, which worked quite well, etc. There is a special place in hell for anyone who would rob a dead man.

Anyway, he did have a decent experience with his Taurus blued 4" 66 7-shooter, although he restricted it to .38 Special. I know you are dead set on the 627, and it may just be fine, but I know that the old axiom, "You can't pay too much for a good firearm!" is true. Consider - just consider - save your sheckles a bit longer - and buy a firearm with a known decent heritage. Or, buy what you want... you may get a good one - or not be as picky as some. Wear eye protection - and start with .38 plinkers!

Stainz
Old January 11, 2010, 05:12 PM   #10
dustinmarciniak

Yea the one I'm getting has the 6 and a half inch ported barrel. I love how many people are dead set against Taurus on this site. I'd rather buy two sub par guns than one great gun for the same price. Like I said before it's not for home defense, just for throwing bullets at watermelons and down range. I'm no gun expert I'm a novice at best. Oh and I already put $180 on the gun so I'm getting it either way.
Old January 11, 2010, 06:08 PM   #11
katana8869

I have had a 4" Tracker for a couple of years now. I reload both .38 and .357 and I shoot the gun regularly. I have never had a problem with it and it shoots as well as any Smith or Ruger that I have owned. The gun has been a great performer and a great addition to my collection.
Old January 11, 2010, 07:05 PM   #12
dustinmarciniak

Is it harder to find a 6in Tracker it seems like most ppl on here have the 4in and on youtube.
Old January 11, 2010, 07:07 PM   #13
hootey

Taurus

I have had a model 605 snubby and a model 608 6.5" since they came out with them nine or ten years ago. Shot the fire out of both with 38's and full mags, they keep on a hummin. It really surprised me when I first got them how well they shoot the full factory 357's. Very controllable, Very Loud(magna-ported), and easy to clean. Never had a problem one out of them. Can't say the same for Colt or Ruger. With Colt & Ruger, both times refunds were given with apologies.
Old January 11, 2010, 07:30 PM   #14
old bear

Taurus tracker and 617

I’ve owned a Taurus 617, same frame as the Tracker, about six months, and I’ve shot in excess of 500 rounds of assorted 38 Special +P, + P+, and assorted .357 ammo. So far I have been very happy with it. I’m able to shoot 3” - 4” D.A. groups at 25’.

It is not a nicely finished as a Smith would be, the single action trigger was almost as smooth as the Smith I compared it to, and the double action trigger is starting to work in, nicely. So for almost $300.00 less that a Smith I think the 617 has been an excellent value. Now the down side it’s not a Smith & Wesson, damn it.
Old January 11, 2010, 08:19 PM   #15
hootey

Taurus or Smith

Taurus or Smith?
Both are nice but, A Smith is still a Smith. As in Smith & Wesson. Like comparing a camero to a corvette. Both will get you there, the corvette will do it a little faster, a little slicker, and a little nicer..........
Old January 11, 2010, 08:20 PM   #16
roaddog28

Quote:
You should go over to taurusarmed.net (just follow the links above). The bashers who abound on this board have primarily zero experience with Taurii and hate on them because they are gun snobs. The other forum was made specifically by Taurus owners to share practical information about decent, cheap workingman's guns.
Well, I am not a basher of Taurus. My experience was real. I sold the Tracker back to my gun dealer because I could not get Taurus to fix the revolver period. I like a lot of the Taurus handguns. Both revolver and semi-auto. But when it takes two months of waiting to get my Tracker back and it is not fixed then anyone would be upset. All the revolver needed was a new cylinder that was machined right and the sticking cases would be fixed and I am a happy owner.
I still don't bash Taurus to this day. In fact I am a member of the Taurus forum.
Thanks,
roaddog28
Old January 11, 2010, 09:14 PM   #17
dustinmarciniak

Whats standerd prices for .357 and 38 and 38+p, the local gun shop has .357 Federal Indpendence 158gr and Fiocchi 142gr both for $21.99. Sounds like a good deal to me is it?
Old January 11, 2010, 10:26 PM   #18
Ian0351

dustin: The fiocchi 142 gr is awesome ammo, and that is a good price for it.

roaddog: I was referring to the people who have all kinds of nasty things to say about taurus but have never fired, let alone owned one (hence the word 'primarily'). Thanks for sharing your experiences with the OP.

Semper Fidelis

Last edited by Ian0351; January 11, 2010 at 10:29 PM. Reason: clarification-added segment in parentheses
Old January 12, 2010, 12:08 AM   #19
Taurus_9mm

I own two Trackers, a 627 and a 970 .22LR. I've shot the .357 more than the .22 and haven't had any problems with either. I primarily feed the 627 158gr. ammo followed by 125 gr. fodder. I don't have any qualms with the porting - some like it, some don't. Initially, for me the biggest thing to get accustomed to was the ribber grip. It felt a bit squishy and odd early on but after holding/shooting it for awhile I was fine with it. I'll be taking it out later this week to run a few more rounds through it.
Old January 12, 2010, 01:57 AM   #20
Qwiks draw

But there is a problem. One of the anti-Taurus crowd has been in practically every Taurus thread over the last few months. This person is the one who has had a 627. That is ONLY 1 example out of the many people who have 627s and find them satisfactory.

Like I said, I can bring the overwhelming nimber of links from those for whom the 627 and other Taurus models that he never had any experience with work just fine. Several years worth and to add to that a large number of those actual users have had their guns for a decade or more.

Add to that said person goes into other Taurus revolver model threads for which he has no knowledge or use of and yet complains incessantly.

I will let the jury decide on that.
This is about the 627 and nothing else. Especially for those who choose to make it about them rather than doing the OP a service.

An intelligent person will try out,handle, and inspect the gun before buying. Yes,they will need to get some feedback from those who actually have used them. In some cases that has happened.

So it is wise to look at the whole overall picture than just going on the word of one or several persons as to "what the truth is".
Old January 12, 2010, 02:22 AM   #21
azredhawk44

Quote:
I'd rather buy two sub par guns than one great gun for the same price.
So you can dual-wield them (as clubs) when the zombies come?

"Quality is long remembered after the price is forgotten."

Words to live by.

I wish to Gawd I saved another few sheckles and got a Smith 617 instead of my awful Taurus 94. Or found a Ruger SP101 in .22. Or found an H&R .22 revolver. Or got a single six. Or an autoloading .22. Anything other than that awful piece of claptrap in my safe.

Nothing says you have to get a prized $1200 Anaconda. Or even a new Smith 686.

Find a used Smith 10, or Ruger Security Six. $250 to $300, max. It'll be worlds better gun than a Tracker.

Or, learn the hard way.

"Quality is long remembered after the price is forgotten."
Old January 12, 2010, 07:25 AM   #22
Stainz

I will admit, here in mixed company, that I have pondered the purchase of several Taurus Trackers - in the 'Stellar'-clipped 5-shot .45 ACPs, .44 Special, & .45 Colts - in 4" & on closeout from CDNN. Sadly, or luckily, they were all 'comped', a deal-killer for me. A friend had a Ti .44 snubby - unlike my Airlite Ti 296, the Taurus was all Ti - and would not shoot more than 20/25 rounds of Blazer 200gr Gold Dots without dragging too heavily to continue. My 296 would shoot 'til your hand fell off. Sure, the 296 listed for almost twice the Taurus's price, but I got mine locally seven years ago - on closeout - for $349 - the Taurus was more!

The 'Stellar-clipped' 4" .45 ACP was a local closeout for ~$300. I didn't care for the porting - or the loose-as-a-goose cylinders their examples had. Some would close the cylinder with the .45 AR dummies I made, some wouldn't. I came close, but two such owners I know have had opposite end of the spectrum results. One doesn't shoot his much - and likes it - the other shot his once and had problems.

I hope you get a 'good one' - and it is a great intro to revolver handgun shooting for you. Check out the mail order reloaders, like Georgia Arms, for reasonably priced .38 plinker - and .357 Magnum - ammo. Get a good quality bronze bore brush - and a bronze cylinder brush, too - and clean often. Report back when you get your revolver - and have put a few rounds downrange. Best of luck!

Stainz
Old January 12, 2010, 09:28 AM   #23
dustinmarciniak

No I'm not going to get 2 guns and dual wield. I just know this is not going to be my last revolver, I'm 26 going to collage, and have plenty of time in my life to start to hate Taurus and get a S&W when I'm old like 30. But if I was going to dual wield wouldn't be with wheel guns.