The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 24, 2010, 10:55 AM   #1
nottelybill

taurus tracker 627SS6 ??

I am thinking about buying a Taurus Tracker 627SS6 to hunt with and I need so reviews from y'all before I buy it. Please tell me all pros and cons and best price known. Thanks for the help.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:12 PM   #2
rodwhaincamo

I bought a Tracker in 44 Mag. the finish is nice, but the fit is horrible. The barrel looks to have been overtightened so that the front sight sits off to the side a little, there is a bit of play in the cylinder when cocked, and it appears to be canted a little. The forcing cone is thin. That might be part of the reason you cannot fire heavy loads in it.
Since Taurus seems to be a gamble I'd suggest buying used.
Old February 24, 2010, 07:30 PM   #3
Taurus_9mm

I have one and it never has had any issues regardless of what I've ran through it. Primarily I've put 125 gr. and 158 gr. fodder down the tube, haven't had a need to go to any lower or higher bullet weights. It locks up tight, is accurate and the weight of the revolver coupled with the ribber grip and porting make even heavy loads more than manageable.

I didn't like the ribber grip initially but after holding it in my hand over time, I became accustomed to it. Also I don't think the porting is necessary and wish Taurus would have released half of the 627s without it. Other than those minor things, it's all aces. I'd check out gunbroker.com and see what deals they may have.
Old February 28, 2010, 10:11 AM   #4
N.H. Yankee

My two 41 magnum trackers have been great, very accurate well finished and reliable. Mine are a few years old with quite a few rounds and still as good as day one. I have to wonder if the newer guns aren't as well fitted as the older ones. I did buy a 24/7 40cal a couple years ago that been a great gun, only thing I wish was a bit better is the trigger, its smooth but it has like a little hitch at the very end of the travel.
Old March 1, 2010, 12:17 AM   #5
Qwiks draw

The scoop on the 627.
http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=497898
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=392751
Old March 1, 2010, 12:20 AM   #6
Qwiks draw

If more is needed I can go to the "other'forum and bring the overwhelming story on the 627 if need be.

That might not be needed though.
It's for informational purposes only.