The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old October 15, 1999, 11:01 PM   #1
Vagabond

I had asked about a Winchester Model 1905 SL on the barrel of this rifle it says self loading model 1905. On the right side of the trigger it has a serial number 27910 on the back strap it says "Winchester Model 1905 SL" also on the barrel is .35 Caliber except for patents, these are all the visible numbers on the gun..It appears to look like a model 1894 Winchester without a hammer..there is a knob that sticks out approx. 2 1/2 inches under the barrel that cocks the bolt. If anyone has any information on this old rifle..we would very much appreciate it..Thank you in advance for your help
Old October 16, 1999, 06:19 AM   #2
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

VAGABOND:
My records indicate that the Model 1905 Winchester is a larger version of the Model 1903, developed by T.C. Johnson to handle the more powerful center fire ctgs. It was chambered for the .32 Winchester Self loading and .35 self loading ctgs, loading by means of a detachable box mag. It was available in takedown only.

This model was offered in two different styles.

SPORTING RIFLE:
.22" ROUND BARREL PLAIN WALNUT STRAIGHT GRIP, (CHANGED TO PISTOL GRIP IN 1908) STOCK WITH PLAIN FOREND.

FANCY SPORTING RIFLE:
22" ROUND BARREL, FANCY WALNUT CHECKERED PISTO GRIP STOCK WITH CHECKERED FOREND. THIS MODEL WAS THE FIRST WINCHESTER SEMIAUTOATIC RIFLE TO FIRE CENTERFIRE CTGS. PRODUCED FROM 1905 TO 1920. ABOUT 30,000 RIFLES WERE SOLD.

I am sending you a photo of the piece by separate email. I hope this helps. It is always best, when requesting information, to provide all the markings on the firearm. This way it makes it easier to identify.
Your rifle was made in 1918.

HJN

[This message has been edited by Harley Nolden (edited October 16, 1999).]