The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 4, 2001, 01:33 AM   #1
NationalCCW

The time has come to boycott this business for its anti-gun discrimination. Another business must be made to pay as they refuse to do business with a gun related business. Action item at the "cat and mouse" icon at:
National CCW Reciprocity Foundation
http://www.NationalCCW.com
Old May 4, 2001, 05:39 AM   #2
45King

Well, they'll have to take their place in line behind me.

My Grandpa left me a small trust, the trustee of which was a bank on whose board of directors he had a seat. Through a series of mergers, this bank eventually became absorbed by BOA.
This trust has been in effect since 1975, and I never had a problem until fall of 1997, at which time BOA became the trustee. Since then, I've had nothing BUT problems with that bank. I'm currently filing a lawsuit.

They are lazy, stupid, incompetent people. Now, should I list their bad qualities?

Freedom is a consequence of the exercising of rights.
Old May 4, 2001, 06:53 AM   #3
BB

Quote:
From the ARS Website:
Bank of America Will No Longer
Refuse Merchant Services Applications from the Gun Industry.

(05-03-01)
Its been less than a week. A very busy forty hours as tens of thousands of people have received, written and forwarded e-mails and e-mail links to this page and my dispute with BofA. In 40 hours I got calls from several newspapers from Oregon to Florida, several national gun magazines and local and national talk radio shows. 40 hours of irate gun owners and second-amendment supporters canceling their BofA credit cards, checking, and savings accounts; writing angry letters and making phone calls. Just 40 hours as some of the 83 million law-abiding gun owners expressed their outrage at such blatant discrimination. 40 hours to make the Bank of America behemoth jump!
I received a call at 10 AM this morning (5-3-01) , from Loraine Stinmel at Bank of America. She informed me that BofA is now drafting a new policy letter to the effect of "We do not as a policy discourage any merchant selling firearms from submitting an application for merchant services with us . . . we will not decline an application based on the gun industry itself." Who was responsible for the definitive statement "Bank of America does not offer merchant services to the gun industry," that Daniel (just following guidance from his superiors) used as a basis for refusing my application? BofA isn't saying. Loraine could only say "If we did this in the past, why? It doesn't make sense. . . We are not quite sure why this policy was distributed."

Whether it was an official national change to the Merchant Services Policy, as BofA told me, or an unwritten national corporate policy, or a BofA Arizona regional policy, or the individual prejudice of someone relatively high up in the BofA Arizona hierarchy, we may never know.

I do know is that this a great victory for gun owners!

1. Bank of America will not discriminate against the gun industry (either because its wrong, or because it hurts them financially - you decide).

2. Other businesses will take heed of the incredible influence of gun owners as a consumer block.

3. Gun owners got to see how fast their network of like-minded Americans can force change in even a huge corporation like BofA.
Old May 5, 2001, 02:10 PM   #4
dick w. holliday

The good ole boy from north carolina retires and the bank goes to [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]. Hugh McColl was the MFIC and i'm pretty sure he was a shooter and he recently retired....Dick from NC
Old May 5, 2001, 03:19 PM   #5
4V50 Gary
Staff

Banco d'Italia.

I have a co-worker who, as a child, sat on the lap of A.P. Giannini, founder of Banco d'Italia/Bank of America. Be that as it may, I won't bank with them anyway since they seem engrossed with service fees for anything and everything. If a bank or credit union holds my money, they should be happy I give them the privilege and all my services should be FREE. That's what I have with my credit union and I'm very happy with them. BTW, they don't care if you walk in CCW either.
Old May 5, 2001, 03:46 PM   #6
sgoeing

It seems to me that these type of policies would be considered "Restraint of Trade" under the Sherman and Clayton acts. Are They? Has anyone ever tried to challenge them?
Thanks
Michael Goeing
Old May 5, 2001, 03:51 PM   #7
44rugerfan

So we won? They reversed themselves, right?