The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > Law and Civil Rights > Legal and Political

Old June 14, 2001, 10:02 AM   #1
CarbineKid

Bank snubs gun stores

A friend of mine works for a large bank in the New England area. I dont want to say the banks name...I don't want my friend to lose his job I was shocked when he told me it was against his companys policy to do business with Gun Stores, pawn shops, and strip clubs. When I asked as to why, I was told it was basically a PR move. Has anyone else heard of this, and would this be considered discrimination??? Needless to say I'm going to withdraw all of my money from that bank.
Old June 14, 2001, 01:08 PM   #2
Tshoes

Yes, it's becoming common

Carbinekid, go ahead and let the folks know the name of the Bank, no one will know WHO you friend is, and if YOU don't tell all of us, then how can WE remove OUR funds from the scumbags depository?.
They are in a concerted effort with the Brady bunch, and HCI, to demonize firearms, and anyone who owns them, by associating them with immoral, and / or illegal activities.
Guess what??.......I ain't buying it............how bout ya'll????
Old June 14, 2001, 01:18 PM   #3
Master Blaster

Youve obviously never seen Marcia handle a 1911.

Please don't malign the Brady Bunch!!!!!
Old June 14, 2001, 02:46 PM   #4
thumbtack

Go ahead and tells us the name, we won't tell on your friend.
Old June 14, 2001, 02:57 PM   #5
Mr. James

CarbineKid,

Please reveal the name of the bank. After all, "the New England area" is a pretty damn big piece of real estate - how would anyone track the name of the bank to a single individual employee? Problem is, there are precious few "local" banks anymore; even the banks that have retained old local names are cogs in some mega-Bank in Delaware, or San Francisco, or North Carolina, etc. I don't want my money being used as a source of income for these [unbelievably vile character assassinations deleted]. If my bank is affiliated with the New England bank, out go my humble little deposits. A pox on 'em.

"When law and morality contradict each other, the citizen has the cruel alternative of either losing his moral sense or losing his respect for the law." —Frederic Bastiat
Old June 14, 2001, 05:36 PM   #6
PreserveFreedom

I know CitiBank is one of them anti-gun banks. If you have a credit card from them, call them and let them know why they just lost a customer.

Old June 14, 2001, 06:03 PM   #7
nralife

PreserveFreedom

Quote:
I know CitiBank is one of them anti-gun banks. If you have a credit card from them, call them and let them know why they just lost a customer.
I think it would be wise when making such a charge to give us some documentaion to back up what you say. Simply calling or writing Citibank with no facts to back us up is not the best way to go about things.

I think I remember at story about Citibank and a Las Vegas gun dealer months back, but if I remember correctly the situation has been resolved to everyone's satisfaction, including the NRA.

Recently, there was another bank (which name escapes me right now) who was also giving gun stores less than the red carpet treatment, but I think that now even THEY have changed their tune as well.

CarbineKid you really need to let us know the name of this bank, so that we can put the full weight of the gun lobby/community against them. I can assure you that they WILL change their tune...

Joe
Old June 14, 2001, 07:42 PM   #8
croyance

Bank of America is another bank that does not do buisness with gun stores. I do not know if this has changed recently.

Unfortunately, BoA also has branches nation-wide, which is also of use to those who move around every few years. The complications of moving are less with them.
Old June 14, 2001, 09:50 PM   #9
Arizona Fusilier

Bof A? Hold the phone! We just had a thread here a month os so back about a small gun-related vendor that was denied banking services, and it was alleged that they quickly back-tracked and gave them their account. The merchant stated as such. Do we have new information? Need facts, please. I have a Bof A account, but dropped my desire to switch because they were brought to to task by our internet campaign.

The stakes are high, guys; we cannot afford to be factually wrong, ever.
Old June 14, 2001, 10:03 PM   #10
CarbineKid

Hi Guys. I am going to check with my friend in the morning. I want to make sure the info I got is 100% correct. I don't want to start tossing names out, before I get the evidence. I am rather surprised that this is a standard pactice through out the country
Old June 16, 2001, 01:52 PM   #11
PreserveFreedom

Here is more on the CitiBank thing: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...threadid=34659

Old June 17, 2001, 10:17 AM   #12
papercut

And here is more on the Bank of America thing:

http://www.arizonaresponsesystems.com/bofa.htm

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...nk+and+America

Looks like it's over.
Old June 17, 2001, 10:47 AM   #13
Quartus

Over? Not for me. Not for a lot of GIs who had to put up with their arrogance back when they had a de facto monopoly in overseas military posts. They had you, they knew it, they showed it. They almost literally spit in our faces and laughed.

BTW, they were originally the Bank of Italy. They changed the name to fool Americans.

I'm glad they took it in the shorts on this one.

Anyone know the current status of CitiBank on this issue?

Better to know what you don't know than to think you know what you don't know.
Old June 18, 2001, 11:11 PM   #14
straightShot

PreserveFreedom:

The Citibank issue was resolved over a year ago. Please contact them and see if any issues still exist with respect to legitimate firearms businesses and their lending of money to such groups. If you find anything irregular, please post your findings.

I do believe Citibank does not discriminate against firearms businesses.

straightShot
Old June 19, 2001, 12:10 AM   #15
PreserveFreedom

straightShot:
I hope you are right. CitiBank seems to be one of the largest credit card banks out there. It sucks to get a new credit card that you think is from a safe source and find out that they are an affiliate.