The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old November 11, 2001, 05:23 PM   #1
swabjocky

who lives in the most gun friendly state

here in south carolina carring a gun is not hard to do.we have to have a permit and are allowed to buy one gun a month.we can buy from private citizens from the newspaper adds when they have a gun for sale.this state votes conservative thank goodness.
so we dont have any one trying to disarm us at the moment.
Old November 11, 2001, 05:46 PM   #2
Tall Man

A question already answered

In my opinion, the most "gun friendly" state is Vermont, with respect to the absence of modern nuisance laws that serve to hinder the ease of lawful ownership of firearms.

Let's give my home state, Pennsylvania, a chance for second place:

1. "Shall Issue" - $19.00 for a five year permit; cost varies by county. No training requirements at all. Modest permit reciprocity with a few other states.
2. Long gun transfers between private parties do not require background checks or any sort of special paperwork (apart from paper money, that is!)
3. We do not have a "One gun per month" purchase provision written into state law. Buy one today, and one tomorrow, and one the day after that...
4. Continuing from #1: Unlimited carry, which is to say that our weapons do not need to be illustrated on our permit in order to allow us to carry them.
5. PA Instacheck System ("PICS") costs $5.00 and takes 5 minutes, barring system problems. Some dealers charge $10.00; it's something to live with.
6. Ammunition and other accessory purchases, regardless of volume, may be made in a completly anonymous manner when transacting the sale in person.

Now, to keep this balanced, the PA State Police do maintain a registry of all firearm purchases, despite the unambiguous language of state law that specifically prohibits such registries as illegal. The approved purchase (i.e., the record of sale) is not destroyed after approval is issued, despite the requirement to do so.

I was privy, if you will, to witness the testimony of one of the PSP's designated lackeys at a legislative hearing. The PSP was responding to a challenge regarding the existance of the aforementioned registry. The PSP designate stated that the registry does exist, that maintaining it was necessary for crime investigation and prevention, and that any state law that prohibits the creation and maintenance of a purchage registry would certainly warrant "further investigation". Ugh - what arrogance.

Tall Man

Free, to a degree
Old November 11, 2001, 09:46 PM   #3
RenegadeX

Texas. We have no laws regarding buying/selling of weapons. We just need to comply with Federal Laws. Our CHL exempts us from Brady, No CHL needed to carry long arms open or concealed, we can have NFA weapons, we can use deadly force to protect property at night, and justified shootings result in a no-bill (and quite a few unjustified ones).
Old November 11, 2001, 10:08 PM   #4
Daniel

I do!

Only takes one week for the guberment to approve the permit to acquire, compared to one month like the other states.

Someone rescue me please.
Old November 12, 2001, 12:20 AM   #5
WESHOOT2

FACT

In Vermont any adult (not required to be resident) may carry concealed AS LONG AS there is no criminal intent.

Now, check the size of my (well-armed) brain...............

Contact me for jobs, housing, snow-driving advice, etc.
Old November 12, 2001, 01:25 AM   #6
fastforty

who lives in the most gun friendly state

"Not I" , said the farmboy
Old November 12, 2001, 01:38 AM   #7
Redlg155

Florida isn't too shabby. We issue Concealed Carry Permits to both Residents and Non Residents...that's kinda hard to beat!

The permits are "Shall Issue" type and mandatory training is required, something I strongly agree with.

We also have reciprocal agreements with many states.

Good Shooting
RED
Old November 12, 2001, 01:42 AM   #8
WESHOOT2

WHO DECIDES?

The concept of "permit" and "mandatory training" is totally abhorrent and completely unacceptable.

I AM an American.
Old November 12, 2001, 01:57 AM   #9
Redlg155

I agree with it on the basis that it does expose people to some sort of safety training and familiarization. I personally believe that we would see an increase in the amount of accidents if we didn't. That would make us all...meaning concealed carry permit holders in general look bad.

It also gives the folks basic instruction on the laws concerning concealed carry and self defense. Unfortunately most folks aren't as "gun savvy" as we are. They don't look to increase their knowledge about guns and tactics. And most really don't care. They just want a gun to stick in their car or purse just in case of an emergency. Otherwise they could care less.

So Training isn't such a bad thing to get your CC Permit..

Good Shooting
RED
Old November 12, 2001, 02:44 AM   #10
PaladinVC

I'm an American too

and if the American that is sitting next to me is carrying a gun that he or she doesn't know how to use, that puts me at risk. I think everyone should be able to carry, but I think that everyone should know how to use what they carry. I'm in NY now, but I'm from PA, and so is my CCW. I wish they had given me a chance to show them how well I shoot before they gave me this little rectangle of plastic, because I want people to have more faith in me than I had in some of the other people in that waiting room.

Carrying a gun is a right, but it's also a responsibility. Those who aren't up to it shouldn't do it. I don't think the government should decide, but it still eats my lunch just a little bit to know that there are guns in the hands of those who are not fully capable of using them for good. When a citizen draws a firearm, the situation should become less dangerous. I've seen people with CCW's that would have just the opposite effect.
Old November 12, 2001, 09:24 AM   #11
PDshooter

Illinois SUCKS Not as bad as it used tobe!
All the "Lib, Dems"You will never see a CCW in this state

Can't wait to "Retire" and move west!
Old November 12, 2001, 10:14 AM   #12
SW 586

Missouri DOUBLE SUCKS!
Old November 12, 2001, 11:05 AM   #13
mike killian

gun friendly states

I live in Michigan which is becoming more gun friendly than it used to be.
I have applied for my CCW after taking a class that requires 3 hours range time and 5 hours classroom time. I resent the requirement of this class when I feel I already have the right to carry in the first place.
I said I resent being told I have to take the class ($160) ....but while I was in the class I saw some people that I didn't feel were ever going to be proficient so I'm glad that they had at least that much training.
I feel that I wouldn't even be able to apply for a ccw if it weren't for a fine organization by the name of "Michigan Coalition For Responsible Gun Owners" this org. was and was key in getting the state govt. to put the issue to The People.

NRA LIFER
MCRGO
CPL HOLDER

Neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoset
Old November 12, 2001, 01:11 PM   #14
Jeeper

Arizona is still pretty good.

Will issue laws
Can still carry out in open - anyone can(Only state that can - I think)

We are on a slippery slope though. There are so moany people from Kalifornia moving here that our laws could change.
Old November 12, 2001, 02:08 PM   #15

Nevada is a shall issue state. Training is madatory. Also, at present, you are limited to two specific CCW weapons listed on your CCW (This is supposed to change next July). In the smaller towns throughout the state, open carry is seen fairly often. In the town I live in, a friend of mine does his grocery shopping with a 1911 carried openly. I have carried openly in Las Vegas and wasn't hassled, but I don't think I would count on that. NFA weapons are common in Nevada. Desert Sportsman's Club (I am a member) in Las Vegas has monthly full auto matches. Las Vegas has a number of Class III dealers with rentals. What makes Nevada a gun friendly state is that there are millions of miles of open land to shoot on. Want to see how your rifles do at 1000 yards ? Want to try that artillary piece ? How about having a mad moment with your M2 ? You could do all that and no one else would ever even know. Until you have spent some time in a state like this, you can't really appreciate what the term "out in the middle of no where" means. Nevada could easly swollow up the area of several of the biggest eastern states with plenty of room left over. And there is only one city in the whole state with a population over 1,000,000. Pretty much the rest of the state is rural or uninhabited. Hell, right over the mountain from my house "they" exploded an H-Bomb at Mecury Nevada. The most sparsly populated county in the US is adjacent to my county. Not many liberals live in a place like that; they don't have anybody to tell what to do. For me to drive to the county seat takes close to three hours at 70 mph the whole way.
We have the same problem as Arizona with the Kalifonians, probably worse. They have decided that Kalifornia sucks, so they move here and want to make it just like Kalifornia. I lived for a year in Pasadena. Kalifornia sucks. It should be a model of what not to do in a society.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old November 12, 2001, 02:16 PM   #16
El Rojo

Long live the PRK!

I live in the best state in the republic. Only in the PRK are we protected from those high capacity magazines that are constantly used in mass shootings. Only in the PRK are we protected from the deadly assault weapons that are slowly chewing your children up in your schools. In the PRK we insure that only the right individuals receive CCW permits.

If you want to see responsible firearms ownership or a lack of firearms ownership for that matter, come to the safest state in the republic. The People's Republik of Kalifornia! Just leave your high capacity magazines, old handguns, and assault weapons in Nevada or Arizona on your way in.
Old November 12, 2001, 03:18 PM   #17
ahenry

I have to say Texas. We have some problems when it comes to our legislature, but for the most part we have virtually zero regulations (state wise that is) on firearms. Plus as RenegadeX mentioned we have a better than most understanding of defense of self, others, and property. Major cities (i.e. Houston, Dallas, Austin, etc) are fast loosing the typical Texan attitude but there are still a lot of us that know what it means to be a Texan.
Old November 12, 2001, 03:34 PM   #18
EricM

My only concern about VT is no statewide preemption.

Idaho has good laws, and surprisingly many gun violations are misdemeanors . Not like Texas though and killing for property.

Shall issue with no range or CCW class requirement. Open carry. Statewide preemption. Class III. No requirements on individual selling firearms.
Old November 12, 2001, 03:36 PM   #19
KSFreeman

From the prespective of dealers or buyers--Idaho. From the prospective of lawyers--Kalifornia, New York Massachusetts or New Jersey.
Old November 12, 2001, 03:37 PM   #20
EricM

Quote:
So Training isn't such a bad thing to get your CC Permit..
IMO gun training has virtually zero impact on whether or not a CCW permit owner will have an "accident". Training on the law is another matter, and the old ignorance is no excuse applies.

Lott's work also shows that the fewer the requirements to secure a CCW permit, the larger the reduction in crime.
Old November 12, 2001, 03:41 PM   #21
EricM

Quote:
Arizona is still pretty good.
Will issue laws
Can still carry out in open - anyone can(Only state that can - I think)
No, that's incorrect. AZ also has stiff requirements for CCW permit. And it took a step backwards with the ridiculous preemption law passed last year.
Old November 12, 2001, 03:42 PM   #22
Bobshouse

calaBANALLGUNSifornia does not even recognize the 2nd amendment or the right to keep and bear arms in their state constitution.

They just keep passing new laws that make it very difficult for law abiding citizens to purchase guns. I sincerely think that is their goal, to eliminate all legal gun sales in the state.

Insurance companies do the same thing here. My motorcycle insurance increased from $32.00 a year to over $400.00 a year. When I called to question the increase, they told me that I was not required to renew with them and if I was unhappy to select another insurance company. Boycott Alstate!! If I had the money I would have renewed just for the heck of it...

Bob
Old November 12, 2001, 03:47 PM   #23
Al Norris
Moderator Emeritus

I thought we settled this question over in Legal?

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...5&pagenumber=1

Idaho is the place to be.
Old November 12, 2001, 04:26 PM   #24
FLM

I vote for Georgia. Great gun laws, Governor Barnes has an A rating from NRA and legislature is very pro-gun. Also a long way from Kalifornia.

Patrick Henry