The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

View Poll Results: Would you shoot the people who come to your door after your guns?
Yes, definitely. Kill them all 79 53.74%
No, I would hand them over. No complaints 9 6.12%
It depends who it is. Like the UN or the National Guard. There is a difference. 36 24.49%
Undecided. 35 23.81%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Old May 3, 2002, 10:15 PM   #1
nsf003

Would you shoot the people who come to your door after your guns?

Anonymous poll. Would you shoot the people that go door to door to pick up your banned weapons. This is assuming that all guns are banned.

nsf003

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old May 3, 2002, 10:29 PM   #2
Ewok_Guy

I'd kill them all and become an outlaw.

---------------------
" I like big fat men like you. When they fall they make more noise!
...and sometimes they never get up."
-Tuco Benedicto Pacifico Juan Maria Ramirez
Old May 3, 2002, 10:58 PM   #3
Waterdog

Who's asking?? We sure have been getting a lot of questions like this.

How about a question about who cheats on their income taxes, see how many people reply.

What I will do, is in my mind.

Waterdog
Old May 3, 2002, 11:05 PM   #4
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Y'know, Waterdog,

In the movie Dr. Strangelove the Russkies built the ultimate deterrant; a bomb that would automatically destroy the world if they were ever attacked with A-bombs. Except it didn't deter them from being attacked, see, because no one knew they had it.
Old May 3, 2002, 11:23 PM   #5
Blackhorse

coming to my door is one thing, coming through my door is quite another.
Old May 3, 2002, 11:30 PM   #6
gorlitsa

I think I managed to vote for 1,3, and 4. What's with the check-boxes?

I think this issue is very case specific, and one of those things that you really don't know for sure until it comes down to it. I know of 'commando' types who would growl that they certainly would "kill 'em all' but who would probably have already registered and then kindly dropped said guns off at the sheriff's office months before.
Old May 4, 2002, 12:22 AM   #7
capnrik

Hokah Hey.
Old May 4, 2002, 01:18 AM   #8
mattjoe

it would certainly be a sad day for this country if those blue helmets were ever allowed on this soil to carry out any form of mission
Old May 4, 2002, 01:33 AM   #9
BobR

mattjoe,

then that day has already passed for you. The UN has been on US soil, performing missions since shortly after 9/11. But, it will come to an end soon. But the precedence has been set.

bob

http://www.reuters.com/news_article....StoryID=906801
Old May 4, 2002, 01:41 AM   #10
Jeff OTMG

Although I voted yes, more than likely it would be no because if it came to that point I would probably be at there offices, at a road block on the street near their office, at their house, or at their children's school LONG before they had a chance to show up at my door. As an individual, or small group, you will be MUCH more effective on the move and taking the fight to them, especially if it is in a place where they feel secure and have their guard down. Also remember the principle of magic, redirect attention. Take every advantage possible and sitting at home waiting for them is not the best choice. Look at the Branch Davidians. They were all inside the building, a small group near the bus or lake could have been very effective creating a cross fire shooting the BATF goons as they hid behind the horse trailer.

Last edited by Jeff OTMG; May 4, 2002 at 06:45 PM.
Old May 4, 2002, 01:42 AM   #11
Jamie Young

I'd turn in all My guns if that happened. Sure I would
Old May 4, 2002, 04:28 AM   #12
Byron Quick
Staff In Memoriam

BobR,

When did NATO forces become UN forces?
Old May 4, 2002, 04:45 AM   #13
BobR

Spartacus,

you are right, I just got carried away..thanks for the correction..

bob
Old May 4, 2002, 07:45 AM   #14
nascarnhlnra

Wouldn't need too I would have already lost them all on that last crazy camping trip in the mountains.............
Old May 4, 2002, 09:03 AM   #15
Gewehr98

I think C.R. Sam stated it best somewhere else on the forum.

Something to the effect of "One man wars usually don't work"

How many of 'em, and with what kind of artillery, would be a deciding factor. My family could lay down a withering field of fire, but it'd be a butterfly fart in the wind if they show up with crew served weapons or larger.

Keeping my ear to the ground would serve a better purpose, getting myself and the guns out of their reach before it happened.

Neural Misfires
Old May 4, 2002, 10:06 AM   #16
Lavan

I think I would give up ALL my guns.

After all, I seldom shoot that British Bulldog with the missing hammer.
Old May 4, 2002, 11:05 AM   #17
DMK

To take a serious note: If it were to come to that, the folks at your door would not be those responsible for the real problem. They would likely be some local official following orders. Misguided? Yes. Traitors? Possibly. Deserving a bullet? No.

I however, would not give them up willingly. Of course, a warrant would have to be presented before they could enter my home. If not, that is unlawful breaking and entering with the intent to commit a felony (theft of thousands of dollars of my property) and according to the laws of my state, is justification for lethal force to defend myself.

Assuming a warrant was presented to me, then I would fall back on passive resistance (chaining yourself to your gunsafe?) and would spend every earned dollar I had fighting it in court and encouraging others to do the same.

Now if it was foreign nationals attempting to forcibly enforce their will on U.S. citizens? Well, that's an invasion force folks....
Old May 4, 2002, 11:22 AM   #18

There are so many decisions to make before this one, so many lines in the sand that will or will not have been drawn. The actual house calls would be pretty far off, if they come at all. After registration will come the handgun and "assault weapons" bans. You'll one day get a letter which says something like:" By June 1, 20__ firearms numbered AW23456 and HG 9876543 must be received at ______. The penalty for non-complience is ....." The grittier among us will ignore this letter. After the big day has come and gone they will receive another letter which tells them that if they do not comply within 60 days a felony warrant will issued for their arrest. Now, normal people cannot live anything like a normal life with a warrant out for their arrest. Most will comply with the second letter. The few remaining die hards should be easy to pick up at their place of employment or during traffic stops. Those that go the hermit route can be safely ignored until they either come in or die off. I don't think "they" will ever show up and give anyone a clear target.
Old May 4, 2002, 11:32 AM   #19
Lavan

Actually this thread is depressing. What have we come to? We better either get rid of the politicians who are leading us down this path or get ready to throw the tea in the harbor.
Old May 4, 2002, 11:58 AM   #20
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Old May 4, 2002, 12:27 PM   #21
Phil Ca

California is inacting a new law come Jan 1,03. All handguns must be registered at a cost of 35FRNs each. Perhaps this will cause a similar response that the so-called assault weapons ban did. Major non-compliance with that one.

A country that encourages a person to join the service at an early age, learn all sorts of ways to damage and blow things up, and then turns around and wants to disarm the public does not have our personal best interest in mind.

I personally have carried firearms on duty for a total of 42 years and I do not intend to "go gently into that good night", as the line goes.

England, Australia and pretty soon Canada will all be in the diarmed box and who will pull their bacon from the fire like we did G.B. in WW2?? Remember the rifles and shotguns sent to England to aid in holding off the huns??
Old May 4, 2002, 12:55 PM   #22
K80Geoff

I think it depends on which part of the country you are talking about.

Here on Long Island the sheeple will hand in their guns and kiss the hand of the people who confiscate them.

In Pennsylvania they will find a bunch of dead BATF/Federal agents and local Cops scratching their heads as to whodunnit
Old May 4, 2002, 02:20 PM   #23
bastiat

"And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling in terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand? [...] The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt!" —Alexander Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago (Chapter 1 "Arrest")
Old May 4, 2002, 10:24 PM   #24
Spackler

Guns? Who, me? I don't have any guns. I guess I lost them all. Sure, come on in and look around. You won't find any guns, though.
Old May 4, 2002, 11:55 PM   #25
Courier

I wouldn't shoot them, just smile at them and say that I was just on my way to report them as stolen. Obviously this wouldn't happen out of the blue, so when circumstances started pointing in the direction that this scenario was even slightly possible, my guns are going to be well hidden. Actually, if the indications started pointing towards this being remotely possible, I would go to the police station and report them stolen, in advance...