The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old October 15, 2002, 01:10 PM   #1
DeBee

Sweet Sixteen Disassembly?

A friend recently passed a FN Browning 16 ga Auto to me saying it was his dads and if I could fix it up a bit... I'm more of an 870 man myself but I like a challenge...

First, it is evident the gun is very well made and fitted. I really don't want to mess with it too much if I don't have to. It badly needs a thourough cleaning having weeds and fouling and gunk in the receiver. Does anyone know where I can find detail stripping instructions for this model- links, books, etc???

Also, since the gun was stored in Florida, there is some rust. Heavy patches above the ejection port and superficial rust (i.e. no pits) on and in the barrel. The stock finish is thinned in some places, and the forearm is good...

The gun does NOT say Sweet Sixteen anywhere on it but is instead engraved with a vine or floral scene which I am loving.

The guy asked for a reblue and stock refinish but I think that would harm the value- I'm wanting to do more of a detail clean, rust management and touch-up job...

I've been to the Browning website but couldn't decifer the SN code- the SN# is X21911 Saftey in the triggerguard 2 3/4 chamber St Louis address on the plain barrel, plastic FN butt plate, round knob stock, matching serial numbers- anyone know the year of manufacture? Is it anything special?

Thanks.
Old October 17, 2002, 02:10 PM   #2
Benjamin

Oh gods, disassembling an A-5.....good instructions are available in the big book of dun disassembly, shotgun volume (#5, I think..)

Another gentleman on this forum requested instructions some months ago, and I still have the scans. If you would like I can provide them to you via E-mail.
Old November 2, 2002, 02:41 PM   #3
bismark

Serial # indicates 1948 manufacture. If it were a Sweet 16 it would say so in the scrolling on the reciever opposite the ejection port side in cursive script. Get out the Hoppe's # 9 and some fine steel wool and rub the rust out, don't torture this noble old Browning with a reblue, my bet is that you'll have her looking just fine in no time.
Is it anything special? All old Brownings are something special
Old November 4, 2002, 10:20 PM   #4
Matthew Courtney

Do not reblue that weapon.!.!.!.
Old November 5, 2002, 06:39 AM   #5
Harley Nolden
Staff In Memoriam

If you will provide an email address, I will send the instructions w/photos.

HJN