The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old December 17, 2002, 07:13 PM   #1
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

A Walk in the Woods....

It was the last Saturday in the regular firearms season. I eased the door to the Toyota closed and shrugged into the heavy wool coat, lifted my 870 and slowly wended my way into the woods, using an almost hidden logging road.

This shall be known to my family as the Year Dad Didn't Get To Hunt Much. Wonderful Wife had some surgery, has been off work for a year, and I've been working two jobs to keep things together. Mostly it's been work, sleep, care for WW, repeat, with a little trap shooting to dull the ache.I may have been a bit grumpy at times, like a dog chained up too much...

I live to hunt. It's my escape from a world more cruel,crazy and complicated than it needs to be, a return to my roots, and yours.It's a drink from the wellsprings of our origins.

People have been living in clumps and growing most of their food for a few millenia. For many more millenia, we were social predators like lions, wolves and orcas. There's little evidence to my theory, but I bet the first true humans out of Africa were part of a bispecial hunting pack, us and wild dogs. Yup, the partnership goes back that far,IMO. It works, and the combination ended up moving us to the top of the food chain.

And we were hunters long before the first orphan pup was adopted instead of eaten.

But no dog today, this is deer hunting and I'm alone.

20 yards in on the track,I stop and remove 4 slug loads from the little nylon belt pack, dropping one in the ejection port and closing the action, then snicking the rest up into the magazine. This holds 7+1 with the extension, but 4 is more than I've ever used, or needed in the woods. I double check the safety, and take that first tentative step into the wild. I'm hunting...

I move quietly in the drizzle,with the low light levels adding a film noir air to the proceedings. The little Bean boots make no more noise than moccasins would, with more traction on wet leaves.

I eye the foot long piece of fly tying floss hanging off the front sling swivel stud, but with max humidity and no wind it hangs limp. A great day for still hunting.

Still hunting involves moving so slowly it's excruciating to watch. It takes a while for most folks to slow down from the modern pace and relearn the magic of moving in nature's rythyms. This time,it's like slipping into a warm bath. I need these woods and I need this day.

I glance down at my 870, a classic "Serious" shotgun that serves as my goto deer gun. It shoots its slug of choice into a bit more than 4" at 100 yards if I do my part, but shots today,if any, are more likely to be VERY close.This new place is thick jungle,bramble hells, blowdowns, reeds and cattails in the wetter spots, and a ton of deer. Shot opportunities today might be best measured in feet, not yards. This logging road is the only easier access to about 300 acres of brush, greenbriar, and lots of deer.

Best buddy leased this just this year, and has begged me to reduce the does. The farmer's hurting from a 100 deer per square mile density, and the DNR has been lavish with crop permits. Today though, I'll take one if I can on my license.

A few dozen more yards into the woods, I note a scrape made right in the track, to be refreshed by the buck as soon as weather allows, and checked by any estrus-positive does ASAP. I could set up and wait for a sighting, but this isn't a big buck hunt, but for meat. I'll not bother the bucks, they're for Best Buddy and his clients.

An hour later I do set up, finding a down log that gives maybe 75 yards either way up and down the trail. There's been more scrapes, some rubs, and enough dung to fertilize a good kitchen garden. No sightings yet, but there's something electric around, some change in the earthly carrier wave we ignore in the "Civilized" places, something wild and basic as our heartbeats.

Many young hunters are louts of some sort, but every hunter over 40 I know has depths of spirituality they've acquired in the wild and silent places.

I know there's a Creator, there's way too much beauty in this world for it to be happenstance. And because there's so much beauty out there,I know the Creator wants us to be happy.

As for organized religion, I'm as cynical about that as I am about politics or the other things men make to understand the world or to make others do as they want. But here's my cathedral,and the Geese overhead sing their Hymn,with organ solos Praising He Who made geese.

I pray also, while waiting to prey. I thank the Creator for the blessing of this day, however it turns out.

The mist has thickened a bit, turning into a faint drizzle. The faded colors of winter fade more, giving hues and shades that Ansel Adams spent decades showing folks, or like those Chinese paintings on rice paper, where the spaces in between tints are as important as the tints, Yang and Yin personified.

And then mist and light go solid, and two spike bucks, like as peas, materialize out of shadow. They move by unmolested, unknowing that a predator with ethics gave them their barely begun lives back. I don't do little bucks,and here I've promised Best Buddy to only take does. It would have been a gimme shot too, 15 yards or so and broadside.

The last hour before I have to start back goes by in a flash, the way good times do when there's a deadline. I slip back to the car a bit faster than I came, still looking for meat, looking more for renewal.

I get back to the road and unload, keeping the action open until I get to the Toyota and wipe it down before casing it. The fanny pack and coat go into the big zip bag with the cedar shavings, and I settle behind the wheel knowing I'll feel this in the morning. For now, I'm somewhere between euphoric and numb.

As I head into the traffic on 301 headed home, to eat, change clothes and then go to work, I call the family on the cell phone to let them know I'm OK. Daughter answers, and asks if I got anything.

Telling the truth, I take a deep and free breath and say, "Yes, and No".....
Old December 17, 2002, 07:30 PM   #2
ATTICUS

It's what church should be like....isn't it.
Old December 17, 2002, 08:39 PM   #3
C.R.Sam

And...
Yes, it was a good day at the hunt.
Another memory string to treasure and to share.

Thanks again Dave.

Sam
Old December 17, 2002, 10:19 PM   #4
gordo b.

That was a real well written story. My prayers for your wife's medical problems and you for being such a wonderful overburdened husband. You are a exemplary man in my book and worthy of a prize.
Old December 17, 2002, 10:21 PM   #5
ACP230

Dave:
I fished for brook trout with my youngest son until bird season was halfway gone this year. As soon as the streams were off limits on Sept. 30, my knee started giving me trouble and kept on through the end of black powder deer season. My lungs also staged a series of mutinies along the way (asthma).
So I didn't hunt at all this year.
Your deer hunting story did me a lot of good. Thanks.

Are you trying to sell this stuff?
If not, I think you should be.
Old December 17, 2002, 10:41 PM   #6
HS/LD

That was fantastic!

Thankyou.
HS/LD
Old December 17, 2002, 10:49 PM   #7
HS/LD

Dave,

I hope you don't mind I printed your post out and gave it to my wife to read.

She loved it too.

Best Wishes,

HS/LD
Old December 18, 2002, 12:17 AM   #8
Dave R

'Nother chapter for the book. A good one, too. Needs no illustration. You painted it well.
Old December 18, 2002, 05:21 AM   #9
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thanks, folks, I write for myself but I'm glad others like it also.

Dave R, you're right, it may be the first one in the book.

HS, printing it out for private use is OK. Glad your SO liked it.

Gordo, it's nothing most MEN wouldn't do. The big difference between men and women and boys and girls is that men and women take care of their families, communities and themselves. Boys and girls, of whatever age, get taken care of. We shoulder the burden,nose the grindstone, because it needs to be done.

WW will be back at work around the first of Februrary, At some point after that, when Daughter finally graduates and we get some credit cards worked down,I'll re-retire. Meanwhile, neither of my jobs are onerous and the one that's not a bit dangerous is often fun.

Best wishes for this Holiday season,

Dave McCracken....
Old December 18, 2002, 07:17 AM   #10
JohnPL

Dave-
You speak so well of the healing and regenerative powers of the woods. Thanks for the Christmas gift of your story. Best Holiday wishes to you and yours.
Old December 18, 2002, 03:49 PM   #11
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

You're very welcome, John.

The story just wrote itself. Sometimes it's like that, kicking around the subconscious until it clamors to be born. It may have been conceived while I sat on that log...

BR to all, and Happy Holidays...

Dave McCracken....
Old December 18, 2002, 04:35 PM   #12
No4Mk1

Thanks from me as well. With TFL going away I will miss your writing and wisdom. I didn't always jump in and sound off, but I have learned a great deal from simply reading. Guess the old saying that you have two ears and one mouth for a reason applies in the electronic world too.

Hope to run across you another day.

I am heading to the woods for 5 days next week. Being outdoors washes away the grind of the concrete jungle that I live in for now....

Thanks again, Dave.

Lee.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old December 18, 2002, 04:37 PM   #13
FPrice

Dave...

I am not a hunter myself...but I sure hope that we end up on another forum together. I'd miss your posts.

"No matter where you go, there you are." Buckaroo Banzai
Old December 18, 2002, 04:54 PM   #14
Seeker

Dave I have really enjoyed reading your stuff, it is always excellent. Where will I be able to find it come January?

"The oppressed should rebel, and they will continue to rebel and raise disturbance until their civil rights are fully restored to them and all partial distinctions, exclusions and incapacitations are removed." --Thomas Jefferson
Don't Tread On Me!
"Equal and exact justice to all men, of whatever state or persuasion, religious or political; peace, commerce, and honest friendship with all nations, entangling alliances with none" -- Thomas Jefferson

In order to rally people, governments need enemies. They want us to be afraid, to hate, so we will rally behind them. And if they do not have a real enemy, they will invent one in order to mobilize us.
-Thich Nhat Hanh
Old December 18, 2002, 05:32 PM   #15
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

(Snuffle, sniff, sniff)....

Thanks guys, lotsa warm fuzzies tonight. I'm doing some research, trying to find a home AND a publisher. As for other material, look here. I'll post more before they sing Auld Lang Syne....

Meanwhile, I've a messa stuff to move to files....
Old December 18, 2002, 07:23 PM   #16
BlackJack

I think I will miss your posts more than almost any other part of TFL after it's closed. Perhaps you'll come over to GunSpot.com to make a post or two from time to time. At any rate, I'd really like to get the book you're writing before our very eyes. Thanks for another great vignette.
Old December 18, 2002, 08:02 PM   #17
Ledbetter

Dave McC

You are the best. Thanks for the patience and the learnin' you have expended on all of us. Here's to the future.

Ledbetter
from thefiringline
TFL #4573
NRA for Life
Winchester Canyon Gun Club for Life
Old December 19, 2002, 12:34 AM   #18
No4Mk1

Dave McC,

Your PM box is full and I have an idea. E-mail or PM me if you can.

Lee.

http://www.guncollectorsforum.com
Old December 19, 2002, 02:46 AM   #19
sm

Dave McC
Thanks for sharing
Old December 19, 2002, 04:57 AM   #20
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Thank you, everyone.

BlackJack, thanks for the tip, I'll stop by Gun Spot later and check it out.

To All, my PM is not full, but glitched up. Contact me elsewhere, I'll reach you ASAP.
Old December 20, 2002, 03:27 PM   #21
ReadyOnTheRight

Dave -- I mostly just read and learn on this board.

Your story captures exactly why I hunt. Thank you.

Merry Christmas and best of luck for you and your family.
"Personal weapons are what raised mankind out of the mud, and the rifle is the queen of personal weapons. The possession of a good rifle, as well as the skill to use it well, truly makes a man the monarch of all he surveys." -Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle-
Old December 20, 2002, 07:25 PM   #22
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Happy Holidays back, and thanks. It's really warming my heart....
Old December 20, 2002, 10:45 PM   #23
Kathi

Dave,

Happy Holidays to you and your family. That was a very nice post but what is happening to The Firing Line?

Kathi
Old December 21, 2002, 05:07 AM   #24
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Good to see you, M'Dear, if indeed you're the Kathi I'm thinkin' of. Got your card, thanks. How's Bob, the kids and critters?

TFL is closing down shortly. A successor bb has been started by Oleg Volk, check the General Discussion forum for details. Li'l ol' me will be moderating the Shotgun Forum there(Gasp Wheeze).

Happy Holidays!
Old December 21, 2002, 09:00 PM   #25
Kathi

Dave, Yep, it's me and since I'm ONLY 3 years younger than thou,
get off the gasping and wheezing routine
Bob, the kids and critters are doing fine. Bob, Dad and I will be leaving for Maryland in the early am hours to be with family for Christmas.

Take care and have a great New Years!

Kathi