The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Closed Thread

Old January 29, 2000, 05:42 PM   #1
Gale McMillan
Member In Memoriam

What a group! Its not hard to figure out why I love this group and the people who put it together. I was floored at the reaction to my problem and to see the heart felt reaction to Lawdogs accident gives me a sound confidence in the future of this country as long as there are seeds like the members of TFL to draw from, we are going to get through this period of darkness our oour country is going through With all the bleakness its easy to forget how great people can be. God bless every member of the TFL they are something special
Old January 29, 2000, 06:47 PM   #2
Jim V

Gale, I think of members of TFL as family, a dadgum big family at that. We may bicker and argue, what family doesn't, but we sure seem to stick together. We know that from the responses to the thread about Lawdog and the one about Sandy.

I am glad I came to this place.

------------------
Ne Conjuge Nobiscum
"If there be treachery, let there be jehad!"
Old January 29, 2000, 08:11 PM   #3
Futo Inu

A 4,000+ member family? That'll be one heck of family reunion for Rich to organize! I agree. You guys (& gals) are great.
Old January 29, 2000, 08:11 PM   #4
Gwinnydapooh
Retired Screen Name

(In best Cartman voice)

I luv you guys . . .
Old January 29, 2000, 09:04 PM   #5
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

You can't have my Shiner Bock, Gwinny.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 29, 2000, 09:14 PM   #6
Futo Inu

Fitz, I thought you guys in CO drank "Fat Tire" beer. You know, be true to your local brewery....
Old January 29, 2000, 09:19 PM   #7
Coinneach
Staff Alumnus

Futo, I drank Laughing Lab... until Dennis, damn him, started raving about Shiner. Now my local booz-o-rama sets aside a sixer a week for me.

------------------
"If your determination is fixed, I do not counsel you to despair. Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance."
-- Samuel Johnson
Old January 29, 2000, 09:22 PM   #8
Gwinnydapooh
Retired Screen Name

I drink American Guinness and long for the day I can taste the "real" Guinness which eyewitnesses have assured me must be observed to be believed.

No offense, guys, but I never heard of Shiner Bock before I came to TFL. Is that kind of like Keystone?

(True story--the first beer I ever drank was Keystone, and I didn't have another beer for over a year and a half. Take that as you will.)
Old January 29, 2000, 09:27 PM   #9
Ottergal

I agree, Gale. What a group! I am glad Sandy and Coinneach brought me over here. In the short time I have been here I feel I have made some very good friends, along with becoming part of a very large family. You know, some people say you can't choose your family but you can choose your friends. Well, by making the choice to start posting here I feel I now have the best of both worlds! You all are awesome...and a big heartfelt thank you goes out to everyone! It is nice to know that when I do commence with the Otter Relocation Program (i.e. moving out of Kali) I will have friends wherever I end up!!!

And Coinneach...aren't families supposed to share??? Hand over some of that Shiner!!!
Old January 29, 2000, 09:57 PM   #10
Hard Ball

We are a neat bunch aren't we?
Old January 29, 2000, 10:25 PM   #11
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>I drink American Guinness and long for the day I can taste the "real" Guinness which eyewitnesses have assured me must be observed to be believed[/quote]

Gwin,

Are you talking Guinness Extra Stout (bottle) or Guinness Draught (can)?

The Draught is much Much MUCH better then the Stout. (Black Can, 4 pack). Soooooooo much smoother and very little after taste.

I'm told by a friend that has visited The Pub that stout is the Bottom of the barrel stuff.

The Draught, OTOH, has this neat little plastic "pill" in the bottom of the can. Upon popping the top, presure is released in the can causing the "pill" to carbonate(?) the brew located inside. When you transfer this immediatly to a glass receptical of the appropriate size it will be all "foamy", rolling and moving before your eyes. Slowly settleing to the top of the receptical. (which is what I believe your eyewitnesses are talking about)

Aaaaaaaaa Ginnuess Draught... Not only a pallet pleasure fit for the Gods but also a visual pleasure as well.

Which reminds me... I only have one left... must pick up more.

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited January 29, 2000).]
Old January 29, 2000, 10:45 PM   #12
Outlaw1

Good grief, y'all are makin' me want to pop the top on a cold one, and I haven't even touched a beer in over 2 1/2 years.
Oh well, guess we gotta' have SOME vice!
I just love this place, and a TFL family reunion is a great idea!

------------------
We ARE the Militia!
Old January 29, 2000, 11:28 PM   #13
Gwinnydapooh
Retired Screen Name

Must be Stout, Schmit. I don't drink much 'cause alcohol is expensive, but when I get to a decent place with friends I'll get a Guinness. Don't drink even that very often. But my fiancee has a friend that did a semester abroad in Ireland. She claims the Guinness they sell in country that hasn't been shipped is so thick you can stand a fork upright in the foam and is a much smoother flavor than the Guinness you can get in the US. The only other beer I've really enjoyed is Killian's Red. I have limited beer experience, shall we say.
And I've still never seen Shiner Bock around here, but I'll look for the cans of Guinness Draught. You learn something new every day.
Old January 29, 2000, 11:33 PM   #14
Ruger guy

I'm only a recent member but I love this place. Any one who hasn't kicked me out yet is o.k. with me. No really, I've been amazed by the nature of individuals on here.

Oh yeh, I've had the draft in the can with the neat little thing in the bottom. CO2 I think. Deffinitely a great treat.
Old January 29, 2000, 11:37 PM   #15
DAL

For some reason, I'm getting thirsty. Mmmmm, Laughing Lab.

BTW, Lawdog's card from me is going out Monday.
DAL

------------------
Reading "Capitalism: The Unknown Ideal," by Ayn Rand, should be required of every politician and in every high school.
GOA, JPFO, PPFC, CSSA, LP, NRA
Old January 29, 2000, 11:42 PM   #16
Jeff Thomas

Gale, I agree with you 100% - a great bunch of people. And, as I told a good friend, this is like a huge, interactive encyclopedia. Ask, and ye shall receive ...

Besides, you've got to have a special place in your heart for friends that quickly forget what they're talking about, and turn to beer, cars, dogs, beer, motorcycles, ammunition, beer ... Just kidding ...

[I've haven't yet broken it to them that I haven't had a Shiner Bock yet - hell, I thought it was some kind of fish at first ... ]
Old January 29, 2000, 11:44 PM   #17
Dennis
Staff Emeritus

Gale,

Birds of a feather and all that. As you point out, it is the united goal and community spirit of TFLers (and the ability to discuss and debate with respect for each other) that makes TFL so great.

Add in the expertise folks like you bring to TFL and (working together) we become quite "Simply the Finest Firearms Information Site on the Web".
-----

Gwinny,
It is with regret I must inform you that Shiner Bock, and other fine Shiner products, are shipped only to 20 southern-tier states and D.C.(the Disgrace of Columbia).
-----

Coinneach,
This is the first time I've ever said this to an "official" politican.

"Here you go. Have a Shiner Bock on me!"
-----

Give your friends a Shiner - and bring them to TFL.

[This message has been edited by Dennis (edited January 29, 2000).]
Old January 29, 2000, 11:46 PM   #18
Rich Lucibella
Staff

Gale-
You ain't seen nothin' yet. Nothing can replace family. But, then again, nothing can replace kinship....and we certainly have that!
Rich
Old January 29, 2000, 11:58 PM   #19
Ottergal

Jeff...what's wrong with talking about beer???!!! Of course, it is more fun to drink it! First round is on me!!!
Old January 30, 2000, 03:58 AM   #20
Gwinnydapooh
Retired Screen Name

Hey, at least now Rich knows we haven't lost the family atmosphere after all. Well, now it's 3 a.m. and I have to go politely ask a jerk to shut off his stereo. See ya'll in the morning.
Old January 30, 2000, 04:55 AM   #21
oberkommando

What makes it great gale is people like yourself. and all the others here who are sincerly interested in our topics and ups and downs as a few of us unfortunatly have had. BTW got buddy of mine going out to pheonix in about two weeks for the relative thing and was wondering if you have shop open to public or by appointment. He aint got the money to buy now but would like to see a couple of examples and maybe a stock catalog? See ya around,

Have delivered over 160,000 cases of beer a few years ago and far as I am concerned will not miss smell of that stuff for a long while.

Hey otter you got room in your trunk when you leave this commie state?

Hey ruger man, watch out for some members here in regard to ruger guns. Dont forget the nomex fire suit.

[This message has been edited by oberkommando (edited January 30, 2000).]
Old January 30, 2000, 05:30 AM   #22
Schmit
Staff Alumnus

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Must be Stout, Schmit. She claims the Guinness they sell in country that hasn't been shipped is so thick you can stand a fork upright in the foam and is a much smoother flavor than the Guinness you can get in the US. I'll look for the cans of Guinness Draught. [/quote]

The foam from Draught isn't THAT thick, but it is thick enough to almost peak. My 3 year old like to stick his finger in it... he thinks it's a warm, soft ice cream (what can I say... beer and German's go together even at that early age).

Keep an eye out for it. I've yet to find it in a Resturant but some of the larger Food Marts carry it. It is hard to find but worth the search.

Once you go black (canned Guinness) you'll never go back!!

------------------
Schmit
GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

[This message has been edited by Schmit (edited January 30, 2000).]
Old January 30, 2000, 05:59 AM   #23
Caeca Invidia Es
Staff Alumnus

I think what makes this group great is the people here who are willing to waste hundreds of hours trying to explain things in really simple terms so I will understand what is going on. You all are great.

------------------
"Freedom has always existed in a very percurious balance. And when buildings stop blowing up, people’s priorities tend to change..." Enemy of the State
Old January 30, 2000, 09:08 AM   #24
RWK

It is a truly great group of people. Again, thanks to Rich and others for creating and maintaining this venue where our e-family can meet.
Old January 30, 2000, 09:35 AM   #25
M1A1John

http://www.shiner.com/home.html
Here is the home page for the Texas made brew.

[This message has been edited by M1A1John (edited January 30, 2000).]
Closed Thread