The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 12, 2000, 11:31 PM   #1
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Someone better let all those killed by the khopeshes of the Egyptians, trampled into the dust by Assyrian war chariots, impaled on Macedonian sarissas, overcome by the crack legions of Rome, ridden down by Carolingian heavy cavalry, transfixed by the arrow storm of the English at Crecy, and butchered by elite Swiss halberdiers at Nancy that they can all stop playing dead and get up. Since they lived in a world where absolutely NO ONE, not cops, not crooks, not soldiers, not citizens, NO ONE had guns, then Rosie says they can't possibly have been victims of violence, and they may arise and join us for a chorus of Kum Ba Yah.

The mental flatulance of this viewpoint astounds me...

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!
Old May 12, 2000, 11:37 PM   #2
Tecolote

You need to remember that these are the same people that are confounded by simple syllogisms like:

All mammals walk on land.
Whales are mammals.
Whales walk on land.

I once said this to a rabid HCI guy. After several minutes he came back and seriously asked me where the terrestial whales lived.

------------------
So many pistols, so little money.
Old May 13, 2000, 06:03 AM   #3
Sword

I have a friend that was with me in Nam. He stepped on a trapdoor, and ended up with his foot impaled on a couple punji sticks. They amputated his leg. Perhaps he could wave his prosthesis in Rosies face, while singing hallelujah!, hallelujah!, it was a non-violent injury! (His wife left him shortly after he got out of the hospital, she didn't want to be married to "less than a man".)

------------------
When they try to take away my 2nd Amendment rights, tell them Hell's comin' and I'm comin' with it! Armed and Dangerous
Old May 13, 2000, 07:19 AM   #4
jeffer

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Sword:
she didn't want to be married to "less than a man".[/quote]

Sorry to change the subject but she doesn’t know what a man is.

Old May 13, 2000, 08:18 AM   #5
slabsides
Member In Memoriam

slab drops to the floor and bangs his forehead forty times in homage to the brilliance and wit of Tamara's historically brilliant arguement. I'm gonna print and save this one!
--slabsides

------------------
If they take our guns, I intend to let my hair grow long and acquire the jawbone of an ass.

Old May 13, 2000, 10:27 AM   #6
Marko Kloos

Well, if that's all it takes to be non-violent, I shall switch to different carry weapons once guns are outlawed. My Gladius with the 29in tempered steel blade ought to be capable of some pretty good non-violent defensive use at close quarters. For longer ranges, I'll either bring a pilum or a Swiss halberd...and the English yew longbow with 100lb. pull weight in the trunk, with a sheaf of Bodkin arrows for kevlar-wearing vermin. That ought to be non-violent enough for Rosie. I wonder if the ER personnel will appreciate the new and gentle kind of self-defense once they get muggers on the table with limbs missing and arrows sticking through their bodies instead of neat little bullet holes.

Concealed carry with a Gladius is going to be a bit of a bear, but If It'll Only Save One Child...

I wonder how long it would be until they propose string locks for bows, outlaw evil armor-piercing cop-killer arrows, and propose a waiting period for bladed weapons, with a ban on military-style swords.
Old May 13, 2000, 10:35 AM   #7
Don Gwinn
Staff Emeritus

Do you think this counts in the "Court of She Who Must Be Obeyed" as evidence that I really do need the new Himalayan Imports katana?

Oh, yeah, and the wife--I do feel for her, but where's her feeling for her damn husband? Did she really think she had it tougher than him? Twerp.
Old May 13, 2000, 10:44 AM   #8
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

"Varus, Varus, give me back my legions..."
"It's OK, Tiberius, Rosie says they're not really dead."

T'-hee.

Sword, I'm sorry your friend had to find out he was married to an insensitive clod of a woman the hard way. Hopefully he's had better luck since.

------------------
"..but never ever Fear. Fear is for the enemy. Fear and Bullets."
10mm: It's not the size of the Dawg in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!
Old May 13, 2000, 12:37 PM   #9
pack_rat

If firearms ever get deep-sixed, buy Cosmoline and Barnett stock.
And I still say Bossie can go sit on a sharp stick.
------------
That Tam is a real Peach.