The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 31, 2001, 12:09 AM   #1
HKUSP45C

Hello everyone,
After about two weeks of doing research, I finally narrowed down my decision for a new 9mm compact (not subcompact) to the "Final Four." Need opinions and suggestions.

Glock 19 - Love the reputation on this gun but I don't like the trigger too much and the fact its not DA/SA

Walther P99 - Love the feel, SA trigger (very sweet), and looks of this thing but heard that it is very picky with ammo.

HK USP9 Compact - Love everything about it. SA is not the best though. Problem? I already have a USP40, USP9, USP45c Kinda want something new for a change.

Sig P239 - Cool gun but don't like the 8rd cap.

Decisions are tough so your opinions count.
I've bumped my budget up to a healthy $950-1000.

Old January 31, 2001, 12:17 AM   #2
BigMike

I'd go for the G19 all things being equal. Depending on where you are, they will run slightly cheaper($) than the other three. Used ones are generally a bargan.

Mike
Old January 31, 2001, 12:20 AM   #3
sigmund

Don't buy a Glock without shooting one, preferably more than once. Most people love them or hate them. It's the only handgun I ever got rid of, and I don't miss it.

The only other on your list I'm familiar with is the SIG P239. I've got one, and it's great. I have large hands, and like the feel much better with Hogue rubber grips. Tried Hogues on other SIGs, and went back to factory grips. The 8+1 capacity is the trade-off for the small size and ease of carry. The mags are small enough that you can always stick a spare in a pocket with no inconvenience.
Old January 31, 2001, 12:20 AM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

If you're considering the Sig P239, why not go for the P228? Hi caps are readily available.
Old January 31, 2001, 12:23 AM   #5
Quantum Singularity

My 2 cents:

Glock 19: Very durable, "combat" accurate, and easy to shoot quickly (good trigger reset). Overall accuracy is only average, but for "combat" it is enough. Overall, a good gun, but not a great gun.

Walther P99: Above average accuracy, decent grip; however, they seem to be somewhat unreliable. I have shot one that was 100 percent reliable; but, the majority I shot have feeding and extraction problems. I would wait on this model until the bugs are worked out.....

HK USP 9mm Compact: Very good accuracy and durability. I don't like the grip feel, but overall this is an excellent compact 9mm.

Sig P239: Long term durability is not good--my other Sig, a 228 is already loaded with moderate "frame rail gouging" and there is a small heirline crack forming (only about 7,000 rounds through it). But, on the positive side it is a tackdriver with very good trigger pulls (mine is anyway). My P239 has been 100 percent reliable (as has every other Sig P239 in 9mm I have shot).

Here is the order I recommend (HK getting the highest score, and Walther the lowest).
HK USP 9mm Compact
Sig 239
Glock 19
Walther P99

MOLON LABE!
Old January 31, 2001, 12:25 AM   #6
IanS

Glock 19 - if you don't like the trigger, don't get it.

Walther P99 - relatively new gun and seems to be having teething problems.

HK USP/C- Don't get it if you want a change of pace.

Sig P239 - great gun but if you don't like the 8 rd mag then you'll have to move up in size to P228/P229.

I'd recommend the P229 its slide is stainless steel and it has the best DA/SA on the market. Also, its a similar weapon system save the safety/decocker.
Old January 31, 2001, 12:29 AM   #7
DougB

This is mostly personal preference, but I'd go for the Walther P99. I have an SW99 that I like fairly well, although, in retrospect, I kind of wish I'd bought the 100% Walther version. You can still get 16-round magazines for the P99 (though they will probably cost you $125 or so). I don't care for the Glock trigger system either. The USPs are nice (would be my second choice), but I rather have a high-cap in a 9mm. I also like the CZ 75 PCR Compact (a little heavier than the plastic guns, but very well designed and made).

Doug
Old January 31, 2001, 12:33 AM   #8
IanS

Ooh, good one. CZ 75 Compact.

But the bottom line is try out the ones that interest you if you haven't fallen in love with one yet. Then only your heart can tell you what to do.
Old January 31, 2001, 12:36 AM   #9
Quantum Singularity

CZ 75 compact

Great Pistol! If you can find one, get it ASAP. The CZ line is extremely accurate and a pleasure to shoot.

MOLON LABE!
Old January 31, 2001, 10:06 AM   #10
branrot

I've got a USPc and P99, both in 9mm, as well as a Glock 23 and a Sig 229. All are good guns, but I'd go with the P99. I'm still breaking in my USPc, but have experienced some jams (especially with the last round in the mag). All the other guns are reliable, although the P99 is slightly ammo sensitive. However, I just love the feel of the P99. Great shooter, and especially sweet with the 16 round hi-caps which are still available (though expensive and rare).
Old January 31, 2001, 10:13 AM   #11
Scooter2

With 3 USP's, what you really need to become a HK nut is to buy a P7M8. The major disadvantage is the 8 round capacity, but it is outweighed by the speed of the gun in shooting and reloading.
Old January 31, 2001, 11:42 AM   #12
RON 1

I think the glock is the best overall value. I really cant see why anyone would buy a sig when you can purchase a makarov for less than $200 which has all the best features of the sig plus they dont crack frames or rust excessively. maybe that is why there is so many used sigs forsale...just my 2 cents worth........
Old January 31, 2001, 11:54 AM   #13
oktagon

Did you give consideration to used or refurbished HKP7M8?
Actually, for a grand you MIGHT be able to find one NIB!

It is a VERY FINE pistol. While you don't get high cap pistol, it is very easy to hide. Just pack two reloads.
If you need more than 25 rounds in a gunfight, shoot 24 and reserve the last one for yourself .
The main reason for spare mags is to shorten delays due to magazine malfunctions, not to have more rounds.
Old January 31, 2001, 12:04 PM   #14
Will Beararms

Lose those overcomplicated range guns and get yourself a Glock.
Old January 31, 2001, 01:49 PM   #15
leapfrog

Another vote for the CZ75 compact. It's the most ergonomic of the guns listed(IMO) and there are still 13 round high caps available from either CZ USA or CDNN or maybe others. Wonderful accuracy, durability, reliability, and has a price advantage over the others also. Night sights available from PT.
Old January 31, 2001, 02:46 PM   #16
Paochow

My vote goes for the P99, the SA trigger is awesome. The grips fit my hand perfect. I've owned mine since last summer and had none of the afforementioned feeding or extraction problems, despite shooting a lot of cheap ammo (WOLF crap, and Winchester White box). Your chances of getting high caps for the gun are dwindling each day you wait. So with your budget, pick up the gun and a few extra mags.

This may not matter to you, but it sure did to me, its a Bond gun. It has a sleek shape with few sharp edges, which for a CCW, it works pretty good.
Old January 31, 2001, 03:35 PM   #17
ED CHAVEZ

Two great guns:
1. Glock 19.
2. P-95DC.

"They may kill me, but there will always be more like me" -ED CHAVEZ

They told me,"throw down your guns, return to the earth...HAH! time enough for the earth in the grave". -ED CHAVEZ

"Do not fear the governments, that fears you". -ED CHAVEZ

Proud Member of: NAHC LIFE, GOA, JPFO, CRPA, and NRA.
Old January 31, 2001, 05:41 PM   #18
RBull

1. CZ75D Compact PCR
2. Glock 19 (with non-serrated trigger mostly seen on full size Glocks!)

Try them both! Good luck :-)
Old January 31, 2001, 06:00 PM   #19
VonFatman

Try the compact CZ 75B...worth a look and you will have lots of ammo money left over.
Old January 31, 2001, 08:07 PM   #20
HKUSP45C

Thanks for all the info and suggestions so far. And yeah, Paochow, the SA is sweet on the P99. I hear people say that the P99 has teething problem. The question is, whats teething problem?
ST
Old January 31, 2001, 09:06 PM   #21
faiello5

Give the Steyr M9 some consideration. About the same size as the Glock 19 but with a better grip/grip angle and much better trigger. The pull is shorter and much crisper. The only downsides are the 10 round capacity compared to the 15 for the G19 and the pyramid sites. I hated them so I purchased a set of PT Nightsights. Mine has been 100% reliable and it is easy and fun to shoot. Good luck with whatever you chose.

Regards,
Frank

Old January 31, 2001, 09:23 PM   #22
AAChang

Personally, I don't think you can go wrong with either any of your choices. I personally like the Sign and the HK. The HK have the advantage of the fact you don't have to learn a new manual of arms to operate it since you already have 3 of them. I personally feel the Sig is erogonmically very nice. Good luck
Old February 1, 2001, 12:18 AM   #23
HKUSP45C

Hey everyone! Thanks so far for all your opinions. According to the DOJ list, the Sig 229 9mm is now on the list. That bumps the P239 out of the four. Anyone have comments on this. Whats up with all that stuff I hear about Sigs frame cracking and wearing prematurely? Does that apply to the 229?
Originally, I really wanted to look into the 229 but since it was not one the list for the 9mm at the time, I did not do any research on it at all. Now, its a new story and I got another to think about.
ST
Old February 1, 2001, 12:24 AM   #24
Quantum Singularity

HKUSP45C,

Any Sig aluminum alloy frame can crack and / or experience fatigue prematurely. My P239 is still going strong; however, my Sig P228 has a frame heirline crack and frame gouging with less than 7000 rounds! The Sig P229 is justs as vulnerable (unless you buy the Sport model). Considering the price of Sigs, I consider such a performance a POS. Do NOT buy an alluminum alloy sig if you are going to shoot it a lot. The stainless steel Sigs (Sport models) will last a lot longer IMO.

MOLON LABE!
Old February 1, 2001, 01:37 AM   #25
vyper005

Sigs are a great choice...:)

HK,
Remember...Thats just Quantums one opinion...229's are awesome and any Sig for that matter....By the way...between me and my friends,I never seen any frame gouging....