The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old October 20, 2001, 05:21 PM   #1
swabjocky

i once thought i had to have a glock

untill i sat down a few minutes untill the feeling went away.just kidding ,i dont want to upset the glock fans out there. swabjocky
Old October 20, 2001, 05:27 PM   #2
Zundfolge

I used to have the same feeling, then I got a real good deal on a Steyr...I don't miss the Glock at all
"There's no way to rule innocent men. The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws...you create a nation of law-breakers – and then you cash in on guilt."
Ayn Rand
Old October 20, 2001, 05:38 PM   #3
CANIS

I had that urge...

and satisfied it by buying a Glock 19 which ahs become my best shooting and favorite handgun!

Shot a perfect score today with it on my CHL class qualification.

Flawless performance thus far. 1000 rounds in two ranges sessions!

canis
Old October 20, 2001, 08:08 PM   #4
Legionnaire

Quote:
i once thought i had to have a glock
. . . but the feeling passed when I purchased a G27 to go with my G23!
Old October 20, 2001, 08:10 PM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

So did I...

...and 3 G23's, 2 G23C's, 2 G33's, 1 G29 and a G30 later, the thought is still there.

(At the range today I went shooting with two other shooters; between the three of us, we own and love plenty of 1911's, wheelguns, Berettas, etcetera, but when we pulled off our jackets and sat down to the benches for some serious rifle shooting, I couldn't help but notice that all three right hips bore a Glock of one type or another. Go figure...)
Old October 20, 2001, 09:15 PM   #6
Fred Hansen

Glock & Roll

Let's Roll! Todd Beamer American Hero
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore
Old October 20, 2001, 10:18 PM   #7
355sigfan

The first glock I owned I did not like a 27. It was not reliable for me. I tried them again a few years later with a police trade in 17 and it was a good gun. I got the courage to buy a 31. I still planned on carrying my sigs. I started carring the glock and sold all but one of the sigs. I now own a 33 and a 20 as well. I have done it all, Beretta's, Sigs, HK's Walthers, Star's Para's Springfields and Kimber and Glock is what I carry. Enough said.
PAT
Old October 20, 2001, 10:28 PM   #8
jtduncan

swabjocky:

Got to hand it to you. You're right. Glocksters will bum rush you in a heartbeat.

But after spending hours in my gun room, tuning, adjusting, adding lighter springs, stoning this, filing that, you realize, with my Glock, I can just drop in any part in less than 5 minutes, no gunsmith required.

I haven't shot any of my Glocks in weeks but its hunting season so the Redhawk in 44 mag is booming along with my Rem 870.

And last time I checked, you can shoot traps or skeet with a Glock.

I do agree with you though. Your collection should be deep and wide like an ice cream parlor.

Even I can't eat strawberry for three weeks in a row.
Old October 20, 2001, 10:45 PM   #9
Marko Kloos

I have my handgun collection, and then I have my Glock. My battery seems strangely incomplete without at least one Glock, and guess which pistol gets toted more than all others?

The most impressive property of the Glock after its almost boring reliability (never had one fail to chamber, launch, or eject a round), is its incredible toughness. You just can't do anything to them to scratch them or make something break off. They may not be as ergonomic as my 1911, or as beautiful as any of my wheelguns, but they are extremely efficient self-defense tools.

the munchkin wrangler.
Old October 20, 2001, 10:57 PM   #10

I agree that your safe must be as diverse as possible. That is why I bought the Glock 17. I don't particularly like it, but then I don't dislike it. I almost never shoot it. But I don't think that any collection would be complete without one. One you cover the essentials with the first couple dozen handguns, the rest are just icing on the cake.
From behind each fence and farmyard wall,
Chasing the redcoats down the lane,
Then crossing the fields to emerge again
Under the trees at the turn of the road,
And only pausing to fire and load.
Old October 21, 2001, 12:59 AM   #11
Mark IV Series 80

I acquired the G17 as a survival tool.

The things that sold me on it:

9mm ammo. - NATO standard, available almost anywhere in the world.

Easy to maintain - Field-strip and cleaning is easy - parts replacement is easy.

Availability of parts - In an emergency situation, with all the police and individuals using the Glock, you are likely to find replacement parts and/or be able to cannibalize other guns to keep your gun running. The parts are interchangeable from gun to gun.

Reliability - The Glock is known to be reliable. I haven't had a failure. I hear that the Glock will run for a long time without cleaning or maintenence, but haven't tried it.
Old October 21, 2001, 01:10 AM   #12
IanS

My G23 can get dinged up, exposed to the elements, basically treat it like $%!# and I wouldn't feel broken up about it.

My Sig P220 could probably take the same punishment and still perform (scratches, rust, and all else) but it feels well, too "precious" to treat it like that.

My G23 kinda says, "I'm ugly, I'm a friggin' tool, leave the pretty boy P220 back home, and let's go to work."

*For the record: I know that guns do not actually talk. But I do consider them family.
Old October 21, 2001, 09:25 AM   #13
9x19

"Lose that nickel plated sissy pistol... and get yourself a Glock."

I live that line...
Old October 21, 2001, 10:02 AM   #14
Bandit

No gun collection is complete without at least one 1911.... and at least one Glock.. The guns I have in my collection now are all keepers. After weeding out the riff raff from my collection, 3 Glocks remained...

Rick
Old October 21, 2001, 01:30 PM   #15
Westicle

Get yourself a Glock or 4....

Old October 21, 2001, 02:11 PM   #16
longship

I once thought I had to have a glock when they first came out. I was very intrigued by the minimalist design and was impressed by the mind that had created it. Although I was very, very familiar with guns as I grew up in an FFL family, I had moved away from home and I was at poverty level and had to seriously try to save my pennies for a two years to buy one. They weren't as expensive back then because people were still really uncertain about plastic guns. In fact, when I bought mine, I think they were just coming out with the G19, I bought a G17. I was rewarded with tremendous disappointments. Failure to feed on occassion. A few stove pipes, horrible trigger with lots of slack, a slamfire, one time the whole damn slide assembly went sailing off the frigging frame after I dropped the slide onto my third magazine at the range that day (I cleaned it and put it back together and it didn't do it again that day). After this last event, after two years of ownership, I took it back to the dealer and traded it in on a Springfield P-9 which served me flawlessly for 6 years before I sold her. I swore I would never even look at another glock again.

Having said that.... After these many years, last week I picked up a friend's glock (G-19) and was tremendously surprised. It was slick, great trigger, and much more ergonomic than the glock I'd owned. I immediately went to the gun store and handled as many as I could and was amazed at how different and much better they felt than my example had been, like a totally different gun (especially at the trigger). Now I wish I'd have kept all those high capacity mags at least cause I definitely would give glock another go around. Too bad they've gone up so much in price since then. After reading on-line a lot, it seems my first run was a real crappy example of workmanship and things have changes quite a bit for this company's work. Now I understand all my shooting buddies puzzlement everytime I was so vehemently opposed to even looking a glock. I surely didn't understand how they could have gotten so popular, until now.
Old October 21, 2001, 03:37 PM   #17
Bob Locke

I must admit to being a Glock "convert". I didn't like them for a long, long time; then I fell in love.

My first handgun was a Sig P239. Loved that little gun. WAY too accurate for its size. I had a Springfield 1911 on layaway at the gun shop where I worked when we got a G21 in. I handled it a few times, and asked the boss if I could put the Springfield back in the case and get the Glock instead. He agreed, and I bought it. It is now my favorite of all my guns, and I ended up selling the P239 to fund the purchase of a G19. I miss the P239, but I love the two Glocks that I have. They're perfect for me.

I still want to get a nice 1911 for the "collection", but it's going to have to wait a little while.

Glocks are what they are: ugly and utterly reliable. I'll take that.
Old October 21, 2001, 04:54 PM   #18
J. Parker

Had three Glock's, two were crap. Never have another one. In 2001 with so many good quality pistols out there one need not "settle" for a Glock. I'm a previous owner and believe me there's just nothing special about 'em. Happy previous Glock owner, J. Parker
Old October 21, 2001, 06:14 PM   #19
Mark IV Series 80

Westicle, tell us about that orange baseplate!
Old October 21, 2001, 06:17 PM   #20
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

J. Parker,

I've owned handbuilt 1911's. I've owned SIG's and HK P7's. I currently own a semi-custom 1911, a Springfield Professional, a Mateba, and a Performance Center *&* revolver.

I don't "settle" for junk.

I also have owned 9 Glocks, and all worked just fine. Still have four, as a matter of fact.

Maybe I just need exposure to some real quality handguns, eh?
Old October 21, 2001, 06:18 PM   #21
Westicle

Orange Floorplate

Thats a factory Glock Orange Floorplate..... they are costly but I am trying to find enough to do all 10 of my G21 mags, then I am looking for 10 of the Factory Glock Blue Floorplates to do my G20 Mags.
Old October 21, 2001, 06:53 PM   #22
J. Parker

Gee Tamara, I'm glad you've had good luck with your Glock's. Unfortunately I didn't. There's nothin' like paying good money for a pistol that doesn't work. Kinda pisses ya off...know what I mean? If you had bad luck with a two pistols of the same make would you ever buy another? You'd probably never go back. Well, neither have I.
That's very gallant of you to be Glock defender but it's falling on deaf ears. Say what?
Old October 21, 2001, 07:12 PM   #23
longship

Well, I meant to clarify that the fit and finish of the Glocks I've just toyed with was so much improved over the piece of junk that I got originally that I'm "assuming" they're more reliable when fired. I haven't yet shot a newer model so I don't actually know if they are better that my original Glock paperweight. Seriously, I come from a gun heavy family and friend background so I've shot some nice pieces and some junk pieces in my day. I still can't get over how bloody awful my first experience was with Glock relative to how much so many people revere them today.
Old October 21, 2001, 07:37 PM   #24
J. Parker

Well, for one thing Glock's are good pistols. It's strange though...I have never found it necessary to defend any of my Sig-Sauers but Glock enthusiests for some reason find it necessary to defend their particular make.
Old October 21, 2001, 08:32 PM   #25
IanS

J. Parker,

Its funny how opinionated most people are about Glocks. It really has become a love it or hate it kinda thing. I used to hate them too, swearing to only own guns that were all steel. But like many others I've realized my feelings were irrational and not based on fact.

I hated my HK USP/C 9mm because the thing couldn't function properly new and even after I got it back from the factory. But I don't criticize the USP line because there are a lot of satisfied USP owners out there.

If you don't like Glocks fine but don't think we're "defending" our choice here. (I smiled when I read that.) We're praising Glock for making a great combat/defense gun.

I can appreciate a nice 1911, Sig, or HK too. But for my primary defense pistol I recently traded in my P229 for a Glock 23, because I think its "better".