The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 19, 2001, 10:10 PM   #1
IanS

Firearm Instructors Only: So What Do YOU Carry?

If you are or have been a licensed firearm instructor (LEO/Civilian) what is your favorite sidearm based on your experience?

*If you'd like, some GENERAL background on your teaching past would give some context.

Thanks All.
Old November 19, 2001, 11:37 PM   #2
Blue Duck357

Not an instructor but if you don't mind;

I know two police instructors fairly well. One carries Beretta 96, (same thing everyone is issued, no choice) on duty and a kel-tec off duty. The other carries a Glock 21 (in his department about anything goes) on duty and a SW Model 60 off duty.
Old November 19, 2001, 11:48 PM   #3
IanS

Sure, I'll amend it to include; Or what sidearms did you see on the hips of firearms instructors? But it'd be helpful to know the specific model esp. if its a 1911 (Colt, Springfield, other) and any modifications?
Old November 20, 2001, 12:28 AM   #4
Ala Dan
Member in memoriam

Not an instructor, but to myself

I carry a West German manufactured and
assembled Sig-Sauer P220A in .45ACP.

Background: 20+ years as a LEO

Best Wishes,
Ala Dan, N.R.A. Life Member
Old November 20, 2001, 01:14 AM   #5
JMC

Retired LEO w/25 years experience.

Firearms instructor for 24 while working and currently still doing it part time. 29 years total.

I carried a Glock on/off-duty for my last 6 years working and then as a retiree until just lately when I changed to the Walther P99 in .40S&W w/the traditional DA/SA.

Why?

I bought the P99 because I wanted one. I found that I liked it better than the Glock 27 or 23. It conceals as well as the G23 in a Milt Sparks SS2 holster.
Old November 20, 2001, 01:32 AM   #6
Fred Hansen

G29

N.R.A. PP & H.F.S. Range Officer and WA St. Hunter Ed. Inst.
"This started out as a documentary on gun violence in America, but the largest mass murder in our history was just committed -- without the use of a single gun! Not a single bullet fired! No bomb was set off, no missile was fired, no weapon (i.e., a device that was solely and specifically manufactured to kill humans) was used. A boxcutter! -- I can't stop thinking about this. A thousand gun control laws would not have prevented this massacre. What am I doing?"

Michael Moore

Last edited by Fred Hansen; November 20, 2001 at 02:10 AM.
Old November 20, 2001, 01:57 AM   #7
mrat

LEO firearms instructor.

Carry a Sig 226 .40 on duty, and a Kahr Arms P9 offduty. I am thinking of going back to a Sig 226 .40 on duty, I think it fits my hand better and seems better balanced.
Old November 20, 2001, 08:20 AM   #8
Captain

I carry as a primary gun either a S&W CQB or a Glock 23 ( depends on the time of year...ease of concealment) and as a back-up I carry a S&W 642 in an Alessi ankle holster. I work at an Indoor Pistol range and teach firearms classes 4 days a week. Been teaching firearms for 8 years now.
Old November 20, 2001, 08:37 AM   #9
JKeith

NRA IPA, IRA, ISA, IHA, IVA instructor; NC CCW instructor:

Depends on the situation, but most of the time I carry a Glock 27. If I need to go lighter or need something more concealable, I carry a CZ 52. In situations where I'm not concerned with concealment, I carry a Springfield 1911.

............Keith
Old November 20, 2001, 09:09 AM   #10
Master Blaster

I'll chime in here,

At my club civilian firearms instructor who teaches NRA self defense and the Delaware CCW course Carries S&W model 36 revolver and a speed loader.

NRA instructor who owns a gunshop and teaches ccw, and is also an IDPA/ ISPC competitor. Carries a S&W .357 mag snubbie a 686+. He used to carry a 1911, says the revolver is better for upclose and personal civilian defense.

Target master instructor also the springfield Pa PD armorer he teaches CCW classes and self defense. He carries a Glock 27 which is also his duty sidearm. Backup one of the lightweight S&W snubbies in a pocket holster.
Old November 20, 2001, 09:45 AM   #11
LIProgun

I am an instructor but not a LEO. What I carry depends on how I am dressed (which typically depends on weather) and where I am going. Most common selection will be a S&W Centennial in .38 Special, a .40 Glock, or lightweight Commander-length 1911 pattern .45.

- Leonidas of Sparta, 480 B.C.
Old November 20, 2001, 10:40 AM   #12
M1911

I'm NRA certified to teach basic pistol and personal protection, but I only teach basic pistol. I do so on a part-time basis, half a dozen times per year.

I usually carry a Kimber Compact. If the occasion requires, I might carry my Kahr MK9 instead. On rare occasions, I'll carry a full-size 1911.

M1911
Old November 20, 2001, 11:56 AM   #13
RenegadeX

One problem is LEOs are often limited to what they are issued. So their answers may or may not be reflective of what they really think is the best gun, but what they are required to carry.

A more interesting question is what would you carry if you could, throwing regulations and cost out of the equation?

I currently carry a G19 of my own free will.
Old November 20, 2001, 12:06 PM   #14
Deaf Smith

Summer, either Smith Centennal or Glock 26. The Centennal only when there is just no other way (summer in Texas can be that way).

If Winter, and large coat, Glock 19, shorter jackets, Glock 26. Same 19 shot Glock 17 plus 2 mag as spare. IF I carry a second, it is usually a Kel-Tec .32.

I don't mess around carrying custom stuff. Most service grade pistols will do well enough. Smith 3913, Sig 239, Colt CCO, Glocks, fine and dandy. I just pick the Glock because I shoot IDPA with it.

Deaf
Old November 20, 2001, 12:31 PM   #15
James K
Member In Memoriam

In one period as instructor, I carried nothing, since I was a "hired gun", not a cop. At other times, a Chiefs Special 3" square butt, or a Model 19 4". Usually a speedloader. Oddly, I never felt the need to have 17 or 20, or 40, or 200 rounds in the gun, or to carry more than one gun. Never encountered that screaming mob of 10,000 Taliban terrorists riding camels and waving scimitars.

Jim
Old November 20, 2001, 12:37 PM   #16
OF

I've been an NRA pistol instructor for not quite a whole year so far .

G29 10mm with AO tritium sights and ProLoad GDHP's.

- Gabe
Old November 20, 2001, 01:36 PM   #17
Sierra

LEO/Firarms Instructor for 13 years. Glock 19.
Old November 20, 2001, 01:53 PM   #18
yorec

LEO instructor.

I've carried my issue SW40F for the past 6 years and bought it for personal use when we turned in for new issue SW40Es. I'm curious just how far the F model will go as I have over 10,000 rounds through it with no problems, but I would have switched the dept to Glocks had the choice been mine (RenegadeX spoke too truely) - too many questions about Sigma quality from outside sources and my personal dislike, OK hatred, of thier politics. The new E model seems to be doing well so far though...
Old November 20, 2001, 02:03 PM   #19
Gravity

On duty:
Glock 19

Off Duty:
Colt 1911

LEO
Old November 20, 2001, 02:41 PM   #20
Steve Smith

NRA IPA

Springfield Champion 1911. I would prefer a full size or an officers model. Maybe soon???

I also carry a Blade-Tech combo pouch that holds an extra mag and a Sure-Fire 6Z light.

Steve Smith
NRA Life Member
Old November 20, 2001, 03:59 PM   #21
Jake 98c/11b

95% of the time a Browning Hi-Power with spare mag, other 5% Star Firestar and spare mag (or two).
Old November 20, 2001, 04:22 PM   #22
Jay Baker

Retired Peace Officer, Weapons Training Instructor, five years, seven months, FBI Firearms Instuctors School, Gunsite, etc.

When I was sworn, everyone was issued the S&W Combat Masterpiece, Model 15, .38 Spec. Also, we could carry a backup revolver, Dept. approved, S&W, Colt, Ruger, but had to use and qualify with Dept. issued .38 Spec. duty ammo. On or off duty, no one was authorized to carry anything other than the above. (Caveat: undercover officers could carry other guns, so as not to be "made" as coppers.)

Later, the Dept. authorized certain semi-automatic pistols (with Dept. qualification courses completed) for OFF DUTY carry. These were specifically 9mm, S&W and H&K mfg. Again, Dept. issued 9mm ammo.

In 1988 the Dept. switched to Beretta 92FS pistols. It took a long time to transition 9,000 officers, but the 38 Spec revolvers were still authorized for backups and off duty. Also, if an officer wanted to carry the 92FS off duty, it was authorized, as were the S&W & H&K pistols, previously authorized.

I understand now, that the officers who qualify with larger caliber pistols, S&W, H&K, Beretta, .40, .45ACP, can carry them, but not when I was there. They have to buy their own.

Therefore, I carried the Dept. issued handgun, S&W revolver, then the Beretta, plus my S&W Model 60 as a backup. I still carry my Model 60 EVERYWHERE, and when it comes time to wear a jacket, my old Colt Lightweight Commander .45ACP goes on my hip. (I am very fond of the Beretta 92FS and there is one in a special place in my wife's car, but I like .45s better.)

FWIW. J.B.
Old November 20, 2001, 05:48 PM   #23
Stephen A. Camp
Staff In Memoriam

Hello. Retired after 25 years continuous service, with the last 11 years being an NRA certified police firearm instructor in addition to being state certified. Currently, I'm a certified CHL instructor in Texas.

When in police service, I normally carried either a Browning HP 9mm or Commander .45ACP in an inside-the-pant holster covered with a shirt in the summer or the same choices in an old Askins' Avenger on the belt under a coat in cooler weather.

Now, I carry a Glock 26 in a Galco pocket holster.

Best.
Old November 20, 2001, 06:31 PM   #24
Prof

NRA IPA, IRA, ISA, IHA, IVA instructor; California CCW instructor; normal carry is a Colt 1911A1 Series 80 customized by Novak's; if in a hurry or in hot weather, a S&W (pre-sellout) .38spl snubbie.
Old November 20, 2001, 06:35 PM   #25
RAY WOODROW 3RD

What I preffer........

N.R.A Certified:

Pistol
Rifle
Shotgun
Range Safety Officer

Instructor. I've been doing this formally for about 3 years and informally since I've owned firearms. The main class taught is Basic Pistol. I live in N.J. so I can't carry in my State but I have a Pennsylvania permit to carry and when I do I carry my .44 special Rossi 5 shot stainless revolver in a Bianchi Shadow high hip right handed holster. 5 shot you say? Of course! It only takes one!

"The key to success in ANY battle is effective communications."

From NJ? Check out "njcsd.com"