The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 16, 2004, 01:50 PM   #1
reildeal

Hi-Point .45 or .40

I've seen these things at around $170! Anybody know much about these things? Are they very decent guns(accurate/reliable/easy to break down and clean)? Sorry if someone has already posted about these in a thread. Did a search.
Old December 16, 2004, 01:56 PM   #2
reildeal

Also,

I checked the website, and it seems that these handguns are loaded with little extras that make the prices seem ludicrous. Also, can you remove the compensator on the 9mm compensated?
Old December 16, 2004, 01:59 PM   #3
Handy

On the one hand, Hi-Points certainly seem to work, and for much less than the $170 your were quoted.

But on the other, they use the most appalling materials which wear out quickly; have a safety that should not be trusted; and are enormous due to the primitive blowback operation they use.

These are good guns for poor people who need protection, or for dropping behind enemy lines.

For the hobby gun owner they are to be avoided. $130 will buy you a beautifully made Makarov, and $250 will get you into a really nice used 9 or .40. All of which will last for decades or more of shooting and have modern safeties that allow safe carry with a round chambered. They can also be resold for near what you paid, while only a fool would buy a well used Hi-Point.

If you're posting on this forum, you likely appreciate guns and aren't looking for the cheapest possible way to kill a home invader. Treat yourself right and buy a real firearm.
Old December 16, 2004, 02:01 PM   #4
Invicta

I'd stay away from any Hi-Point firearm. They are pretty cheaply made. I don't even think they are worth $170. If you want a cheap handgun I'd look at the Ruger P series or S&W Sigmas.
Old December 16, 2004, 02:06 PM   #5
reildeal

Hehe, well, I guess that answers my question in a nutshell. I guess I knew there had to be something that just wasn't right about these fire arms! Thanks Handy. Wans't really considering getting one of these things as I just got a decent S&W .45. Just saw the HI Point referenced in a couple of the other threads and looked it up. Thanks again. Love this forum. Learning a lot every day.
Old December 16, 2004, 02:13 PM   #6
Handy

Keep in mind, that is just my opinion. Some forum members really like theirs and don't seem to care about the size, safety system or use of pot metal.
Old December 16, 2004, 03:27 PM   #7
Ignition

i would rather throw my bullets then use Hi-point's pistols.

now their carbines arent bad at all. very reliable and at $170 and a full lifetime no questions asked warranty you could saw your gun in half send it back to them and they would fix it.

they are coming out with a .45 carbine in early 2005

no plans on hi-cap mags

i love the carbine but hate the pistol

hi-point carbine owner and i have tried shooting the pistol and was very unhappy but if it helps some poor person have a firearm who needs it for self defense then i say keep them coming mks supply.

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old December 16, 2004, 06:02 PM   #8
TiP99

Step 1: Get a Hi Point Pistol

Step 2: Retrieve string

Step 3: Find a sturdy stick

Step 4: Ad bullets for weight

Tie the following together and you have a tomahawk.

In conclusion dueing the following will provide a more useful defensive weapon than a Hi Point firearm.
If you want peace - prepare for war
Old December 16, 2004, 06:16 PM   #9
Tom2

Raven maniac

The highpoints seem to me to be giant versions of the Raven .25 automatic I have had for about 20+years. Cheap and ugly but goes bang every time (unless the magazine springs get weak). Now, it is just a conversation piece, you understand.
Old December 16, 2004, 06:40 PM   #10
reildeal

It seems to be a general concensus that these things are made extremely cheap. Are there any stories of these things giving way to catastrophic failure of any sort?
Old December 16, 2004, 06:49 PM   #11
WillBrayjr

My friend gets them in for repair all the time because of broken firing pins, which is a $50.00 repair bill. Hi-point pistols will have maybe 1,000rd service life before completely falling apart. My friend also has a FFL because he is a gunsmith and he won't sell them for anything. He'll special order them for people but won't stock them! Makarovs are far better and are about the same price.
Old December 17, 2004, 01:16 PM   #12
Te Anau

You people are nuts.Hi-Points arent nearly as bad as any of you claim them to be and believe me as I OWN one(and have shot many)--they DONT have a 1000 round life before falling apart (Ive never heard of (that can actually be verified)or seen one fall apart)and even though they have a zinc-aluminum slide (like S&W and Walther have used without predjudice) they work-PERIOD.And would someone PLEASE refer us to this .45acp Makarov-im dying to get one.
Old December 17, 2004, 01:30 PM   #13
Te Anau

Dont get me wrong,there are good bargains in better made (materials wise) inexpensive handguns.Arcus,FEG, are the two I quickly think of and admire and have personal experience with.It just really annoys me that people continually recommend Makarovs (I own two)to someone who is wanting a .45acp--it makes ZERO sense.
"Hey Joe,I need a good small truck to haul railroad ties what should I get?"
"Mike,if I was you id get a Hyundai accent.Theyre inexpensive and reliable"
Old December 17, 2004, 01:39 PM   #14
Ignition

Quote:
My friend gets them in for repair all the time because of broken firing pins, which is a $50.00 repair bill. Hi-point pistols will have maybe 1,000rd service life before completely falling apart. My friend also has a FFL because he is a gunsmith and he won't sell them for anything. He'll special order them for people but won't stock them! Makarovs are far better and are about the same price.

well it seeems that your friend forgot to mention to his customers that these pistols have a lifetime no questions asked warranty, no matter if your a 1st or 25th owner. and everything is covered. all they have to do is contact hi-point and ship the defective parts and they will replace for free. and in some instances you may not even have to ship the parts they will just ship you new ones.

its amazing how many people think they know everything about these not so nice pistols but are completely off the mark

lets push for legislation to ban toe-nail clippers because airports believe they are deadly

a 9mm is really just a .45 set on stun

KEEP YOUR BOOGER HOOK OFF THE BANG SWITCH OF A GLOCK!
~~~~~~~~~~
from MAFIA INFORMANT SAMMY "THE BULL" GRAVANO
Quote:
"Gun control? It's the best thing you can do for crooks and gangsters. I want you to have
nothing. If I'm a bad guy, I'm always gonna have a gun."
Old December 17, 2004, 04:03 PM   #15
reildeal

Ok, I'm glad we got some positive feedback on these things. I was starting to get a little worried that these things might be as dangerous or poor quality as said. Thanks for the input guys! Maybe I will get one one day. After my next purchase of course - the Ruger P-95. Gorgeous.
Old December 17, 2004, 08:22 PM   #16
mirage

I picked up the hi-point compact 9mm a few weeks ago at a show on a whim for $120. From the posts around here I wasn't sure what to expect. I took It to the range and it fired every time I pulled the trigger and was very accurate. I don't expect it to last forever, and it is obviously not the smoothest trigger pull out there. But it certainly fills a niche in the market, and was worth it to me. I have no intention of ever concealing it or ever pointing it at a person for that matter. I just wanted something to put holes in paper and am very happy with my purchase.
Old December 17, 2004, 08:54 PM   #17
preciseone

$170 for my life...

My life and my family's lives are worth more than $170.

A new S&W .38SP revolver goes for... $350 or so in my area...

A new Bersa .380 semi-auto goes for $250 or so...

Maybe a used Glock or revolver from a reputable dealer...

I like the tomahawk idea though...

Old December 17, 2004, 10:27 PM   #18
postal1911

the hipoint is great and id choose the 40sw......oh you ment as a pistol...not as an anchor .....ok then go for the 45acp cause itll weigh more....cause its a better anchor than a pistol
why do people see how cheap they can be when it may come to there life?
Old December 17, 2004, 10:49 PM   #19
Te Anau

What would you rather have,a $100.00 Hi-Point that goes bang when you pull the trigger or a $700.00 Kimber which may or may not???????
Old December 17, 2004, 11:06 PM   #20
WillBrayjr

My friend is in business. If someone brings in a gun to be repaired, my friend will fix it and take the money. Look at this way, if I was a gunsmith and someone brought me a gun to fix and they didn't know it had a lifetime warrenty do you think I would tell them, of coarse not. People have families to feed and bills to pay.
Old December 17, 2004, 11:21 PM   #21
PsychoSword

Quote:
and $250 will get you into a really nice used 9 or .40.
Aside from the high quality Mak/CZ52/ect. and used 9's/.40's, I'll even go one up on what Handy said. Just as an example CDNN has brand new Steyr M9's (9mm) for $250 as well as new CZ-40's (.40S&W) for the same price.

There's no reason to buy a Hi-Point. Ever.
Old December 17, 2004, 11:27 PM   #22
joab

Quote:
If someone brings in a gun to be repaired, my friend will fix it and take the money. Look at this way, if I was a gunsmith and someone brought me a gun to fix and they didn't know it had a lifetime warrenty do you think I would tell them, of coarse not.
As a service to other board members could you post his name so that he could be identified as someone without integrity or customer care skills
Quote:
People have families to feed and bills to pay.
For a business that should mean maintaining the above mentioned integrity and building customer loyalty which generates word of mouth referals

I have noticed on these Hi-Point threads.
1) The people that bad mouth them generally state that they would not own them, mostly because they are so inexpensive, which of course means cheap.
I read some where that a Glock costs $75 to manufacture.
If they would never own one how would they gain any personal experience with them?

2) They will usually cite the experience of their brother's, girlfriends , adopted cousin's, biological parole officer as the source of their expert opinion

3) Most people who have actually owned one have nothing unusually negative to say about them.

I wouldn't own one simply because they are too big and don't fill my needs. I've shot a friends, cousin's, bestfreiend's once and didn't particularly like the feel of it.
But that does not speak ill of the gun, because I also don't like Berettas or Sigs for the same reasons. ( I got girly sized hands)
The gun had no malfuntions that day after a couple hundred rounds and the owner told me that he only experienced malfs with one particular type of ammo
Old December 18, 2004, 12:02 AM   #23
postal1911

Hipointless

Quote:
What would you rather have,a $100.00 Hi-Point that goes bang when you pull the trigger or a $700.00 Kimber which may or may not???????
HUH are you kidding me.
a Kimber wont go bang.. but a Hi-pointless will!!!! thats real BS
not with hollowpoints and not for very long.
and if it happens to work you should be wearing a bag on your head when you shoot it.
it has a lifetime warrenty cause thats like 2 boxes of ammo and then the owner is too embarassed to send it in...
if you want to see how they work.....just watch COPS

oh i just heard the seal teams are now useing these HI pointlesses
oh but they are useing them as anchors, or paperweights

get the POINT
Old December 18, 2004, 12:31 AM   #24
bfox

I got a .45 to see what the fuss was all about .
Got a lot of better guns but my Hi-Point works .
Not that easy to disassemble but not to bad .
I can't believe that Dude is getting $50 to replace the
firing pin .He sure is screwing them .

Love watching you all get ticked off , Bill
Old December 18, 2004, 09:14 AM   #25
Te Anau

Well let me see,my Hi-Point always works and a friends Kimber has had nothing but issues since he got it.He keeps it because he thinks hes really cool when he goes to the range with it.Look at me I own a Kimber.Luckily,it just sits there most of the time since its unreliable.Its been back to the factory (where they arent real nice by the way)twice.The safety was the first thing to break and that happened on his first trip to the range.Im still waiting for my Hi-Point to have this catastrophic failure I keep hearing about.