The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 28, 2005, 05:01 PM   #1
Doug.38PR

can someone explain why

My father owns a replica Colt .45 Cimmeron single action made by either Uberti or Pietta. It was NOT made by Colt. BUT it is, as far as I can tell, probably the most accurate gun in our household. I've let people use it that have never handled a SA "cowboy" gun in their lives and have put the shot dead center (not exaggerating there) on the FIRST shot at about 10-15 yards. I took the gun recently and (after a few shots) planted one in the center of a strip of paper the half the size of a business card that my mother taped to the center of a target at 25 yards.
Why in the world did I pay about $450 for that and the cost of a genuine Colt Single Action army would be about $900-1200 just because it has Colt's name on it? The Italian replica works at least as good as a Colt (you can't get much better than what I described above) What is it? Does Colt get enough suckers to pay that kind of money for a gun with their name on it? Or is it cheap European labor for a quality gun?

If it's the latter than Pietta and Uberti need to go move on to 20th century Colt guns like the Official Police or the Python and Anaconda. Man they will sell like hotcakes and put Colt out of business.
Old February 28, 2005, 05:12 PM   #2
Avizpls

http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=163799
Old March 2, 2005, 09:25 PM   #3
Majic

Quote:
Why in the world did I pay about $450 for that and the cost of a genuine Colt Single Action army would be about $900-1200 just because it has Colt's name on it?
Because you bought a clone and not the original. If you go to sell your clone you may be lucky to get $300 for it if it still looks new and the Colt will still be worth close to $1200 with almost no finish on it.
Old March 3, 2005, 12:02 PM   #4
DPris
Member Emeritus

Different steels, the Uberti has a cast frame the Colt is forged, the case coloring is done differently. Essentially the Colt will most likely run longer if properly set up, and as pointed out will definitely retain resale value much better.
Denis
Old March 3, 2005, 12:26 PM   #5
Gazpacho

Why buy a Ferrari when a Corvette will do the same or better for a lot less money? Because of the Pony on the hood!
Old March 3, 2005, 02:00 PM   #6
Mike Irwin
Staff

someone once told me that you pay 4 times the price for a Colt only because it has 4 letters in the name.

Imagine if you wanted to buy a Harrington & Richardson...

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.