The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old April 25, 2005, 06:21 PM   #1
REDCELL

Longevity of magizine springs

I keeps 2 Springfield .45 mag and 4 Hk 9mm mags loaded in my safe. I don't take them to the range, cause i bought chip mccormick mags(.45). Do the springs loose their tension if they are always loaded.
Also i was told and read that its good to leave one off of the full capacity of the magizine to ensure guarenteed loading. Its not like they won't load with max capc.
Old April 25, 2005, 10:49 PM   #2
JohnKSa
Staff

Single column magazines seem to handle being fully loaded for ages with just about zero problems.

Some double column magazine springs seem to weaken as a result of being left fully loaded for long periods of time.
Old April 25, 2005, 10:55 PM   #3
jonathon

Pretty much what John said... my dad changes out mags every 6 months just to be easy on them.

Don't leave 10/22 factory mags loaded for to long, I found that out the hard way(well I forget about 2 of them in my back pack for about 3 months, had a hell of a time unloading them).
Romans 12:21

Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good

More CZ M52 info than you can shake a stick at!
Old April 25, 2005, 11:04 PM   #4
gudel

I was wondering the same thing about shotgun spring in the tube.
Old April 25, 2005, 11:08 PM   #5
JohnKSa
Staff

I've seen people advocate leaving a shotgun tube mag half empty to prevent the spring from weakening. I don't have any experience in that area, but I do know that it's not uncommon for .22 tubular mag springs to get weak enough that they won't feed the last round reliably.
Old May 17, 2005, 05:31 AM   #6
big daddy 9mm

hey guys

I always leave my mags 75% loaded most of the the time. if you ever take apart a double stack clip you will see that when loaded they crunch the spring alllllll the way down which in tern dramiticly reduces its useful life. I would never leave a double stack mag loaded all the way for more than a week max. BUt I do know that I am a freak about my springs. I wont leave my bolt open either on my riflle.
Old May 17, 2005, 03:15 PM   #7
Duxman

Research on Mag springs etc.

Gentlemen,

I was wondering about this issue many moons ago, and got so many different opinions on it - I went deep into research. Right into metals and tensile strength etc.

In the end, the answer is it depends: Not on the type of magazine, but the composition of the spring. Some inferior springs that are not made to Mil-Spec standards have a tendancy to wear out when fully loaded to capacity: Circa: 1960's, 1970's M16 magazine springs used in Vietnam.

The QUALITY springs of any reputable manufacturer today was built to go back to its original form regardless of its current state: Whether its fully compressed or partially compressed or no compression at all (natural - unloaded state).

Some magazines are rated ammo capacity or shelf life - Beretta 92 Factory magazines are rated for 8,000 rounds. (for example)

While you can purchase titanum springs that are lifetime warrantied by expensive - my general thought is that magazines are expendable. You will end up buying new ones in the full life cycle of your weapon.

Personally I fully load my magazines full capacity, and the 3 (out of the 30 or so that I have) have issues with the last round in the magazine, I am in the process of replacing those springs. All of them except one are cheap aftermarket mags.

With the rest of the magazines - no issues fully loaded. I encourage you to do your own experiments and give us the results. But don't be afraid to put them mags to the test - thats what they are there for:

Whats the use of your hi-cap 9mm mag if you only load 6?
Old May 17, 2005, 06:50 PM   #8
Moe Mentum

Load them and leave them.
Old May 17, 2005, 09:00 PM   #9
unclestu

The springs in my Glock 22 magazines are so strong it's hard for me to believe they'll suffer any ill effects from being left loaded. Of course I could be wrong! Gettin' #15 in there is a real experience.

I've also left a factory Ruger Mk II mag loaded full for several years- it shot all 10 just fine.

As far as older guns: back in 1962 or 63, my aunt had had a pistol for many years that she wanted my Dad(her little brother) to get rid of for her. It was a strange looking .32 auto, maybe a Savage.(hey, gimme a break, I was 9 or 10 yrs old!) She had fired one clip through it when she first got it, I think that would have been 1943 or 1944. She then reloaded it, & kept it in a drawer, wrapped in a slightly oily rag, for all those years in between. So, when Dad took it(& me!) out to the dump to try it, it had been loaded full for 18-20 yrs. It fired the full magazine without a bobble. He reloaded, I got to shoot a coupla shots, & he later sold it to a local constable. And remember, that gun was old when my Aunt first got it. Dad always said he thought it was a little older than he was, which would put it pre-1927.

So, because of these experiences, I just don't worry very much about magazine springs.
Old May 17, 2005, 09:14 PM   #10
pistolpete

I think they wear out, but read this. What do you think?

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articl...27/ai_99130369
Old May 17, 2005, 11:16 PM   #11
IZinterrogator

After reading that article, I have a theory about spring set. My springs definitely set when I was in Iraq. I replaced the springs twice while I was there and replaced them when I got home. I was using the Wolff +5% springs. I think that these extra-power springs may be more susceptible to spring set since they are stiffer and less elastic. Mine shrunk an inch over six months. I thought I was doing the right thing by replacing the factory-strength springs, but I now believe I was wrong. Do yourself a favor and use factory-strength springs unless you have tricked out your gun with a recoil spring that causes the ammo to need to rise into feeding position faster.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old May 18, 2005, 05:45 AM   #12
tanto

Good mags (good springs I should say) don't suffer at all being left loaded, because they are well within thier elastic limit of deformation. All my mags are kept loaded to their fullest capacity and never have any issue.
On the contrary, I can tall you it's extremely dangerous, at least on the beretta 92 but perhaps on other guns as well, to fill the mag to max capacity minus one round: if the gun falls, the mass of the rounds compresses the spring further and the upper round can rotate inside the clip, so that the gun will jam after the first round (the one in the chamber) is fired.
I have first hand experience on this.
Get good mags with state of the art springs and don't worry about them.
Old May 18, 2005, 07:38 AM   #13
HSMITH

I have had 3 Para P14 mags loaded since the early 90's, I'll unload them and go to the range and load them up as soon as I get home. Nearly 15 years of being loaded to full capacity and they are flawless today.

I am not worried about spring set when using quality springs.