The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 24, 2005, 01:00 PM   #1
kraigster414

CCI primers and the Dillon 550 don't mix!

I have never liked CCI pistol primers even before I got my Dillon - they never seated smoothly in my RCBS 4x4 but at least they went in. Using them in a Dillon 550 primer feed tube is not recommended IMHO especially if you mix them with Winchester or other brand primers in the same tube. My tube got all screwed up with stuck primers and I had to disassemble the whole setup to remove them - Dillon 550 owners know what a hassle this is. I was very careful removing them as this could be dangerous. 'Called Dillon and they recommended NOT using CCI primers in the 550. Just passing on if you don't already know.

I now stick to Wincherster or Federal primers only.
Old April 24, 2005, 02:47 PM   #2
J.D.B.

What dimension is different between the CCI's and the others?
Josh
Old April 24, 2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Unclenick
Staff

If you take any hand tool, like a Lee Autoprime or, better still, a benchrest rifle priming tool like the K&M (my favorite) or the Sinclair (another good one) you will feel the CCI's take a great deal more effort to seat. They are about a half-thousandth bigger, if I recall correctly. This is great for water-proofing, but not much else. I run Federal 150's in both my Square Deal and my 550B.

Nick
Old April 24, 2005, 03:33 PM   #4
kraigster414

Nick called it 100 percent. I will never buy CCI primers again. Period.

Winchester and Federal that's it for me from now on.
Old April 24, 2005, 03:58 PM   #5
yorec

Huh. Never had a problem with CCIs in my 550B. A half a thousandth of an inch? Guess that explains it - the dimensions of the insides of 550 primer tubes probably vary by at least that much! Guess I'm glad I got a bigger one...
Old April 24, 2005, 05:45 PM   #6
armabill

I never had any problem with CCI'S in my 550B either.

In fact, I never had any trouble with ANY primers.
Old April 24, 2005, 05:47 PM   #7
G56

CCI isn't my normal choice for primers, but I picked up one box of CCI small rifle for 223 loads, I've loaded about 500 so far with absolutely no problems on my 550. I don't mix different brands of primers at the same time in a primer tube.
Old April 24, 2005, 07:52 PM   #8
kraigster414

"I don't mix different brands of primers at the same time in a primer tube."

You can bet I'll never do it again.

Once burned, never return and this applies now to CCI pistol primers. Plus the fact that Dillon "discouraged" me from using them in the future is enough for me.

Given the potential for problems, I don't know why anyone would opt to go with CCI when the Win and the Federals works so well. I have nothing against the company per se but am ticked about the extra effort I had to expend to fix a messy problem. I can screw things up on my own - 'don't need any help from an outside source.
Old April 24, 2005, 10:19 PM   #9
Gewehr98

I've run many thousands of CCI primers through my Dillon 550B...

And never had a problem with them, both Small Rifle size and Large Rifle size. They move through the primer feed tube with nary a hitch.
Old April 24, 2005, 10:49 PM   #10
caz223

I never had problems with CCI in my 550.
Matter of fact, I have problems with winchester primers getting embossed by every tiny little piece of dirt that gets near them.
The CCI prmers have no such problem, and I've never had a primer fail to fire.
Old April 24, 2005, 11:10 PM   #11
BigBoreKindaGuy

I've used nothing but CCI small and large primers in my Dillon 550B and 650XL and have never had a problem whatsoever so I am not sure why you are having such a difficult time with them.

The answer that Dillon gave you I would consider to be blowing you off since it is easier for them to say use Winchester since they are a tad smaller in dimension than CCI primers. It would be the quickest answer to give you in order to get them off the phone.
Old April 24, 2005, 11:29 PM   #12
xmastree

I usually use Winchester, but I've used CCI when that was all I could get. No problems at all with my 550B.
Old April 24, 2005, 11:32 PM   #13
Robert M Boren Sr

Never had a problem with cci and have been using them for the better part of 30 years. Never a problem in my 550 either. The one's that gave me problems in the 550 were the winchesters, but I seldom use winchester anyways. I never ever mix primers, I use one up then load up the other brand.
Old April 25, 2005, 05:04 AM   #14
WESHOOT2

so far.......

I have used over seven trillion CCI's through my XL650.

I use R-P, W-W, Federal, and CCI, with my personal preference (based on specific load) being CCI.

Oh, I polished the insides of my thirty tubes.......

But there are other brands available, so use what works, ay?
Old April 25, 2005, 06:34 AM   #15
kraigster414

Thanks guys but to rule out any further problems, no more CCIs for me. Maybe my primer tube is cut a little narrower, who knows. And I don't think Dillon was blowing me off.
Old April 25, 2005, 07:09 AM   #16
HSMITH

I have had the same problem with my 550B's, totalling 24 pickup tubes and 6 magazine tubes. No combination was 100%. I measured the primer cups and some of the CCI were as much as .004" larger than the smallest ones. .0005" I could live with, but I saw much larger variations. The bad part is I bought 25K of them that time, and only managed to trade off about 6K, I had to use the rest. Never again for me too.
Old April 25, 2005, 05:17 PM   #17
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Ditto on the CCI primers. Don't like 'em. While I've never had any problem with them feeding in my Dillon, I have had to throw away entire boxes of 500's because of oversize. One box seats easily, next box won't seat at all. Lousey quality control. They also seem a little hard. I've had misfires with the CCI's where the primer was barely dented, but never had a misfire with the Winchesters. As to Dillon blowing you off, I really doubt it. The one thing Dillon's noted for (besides great gear) is their customer service. They were more than patient and very helpful when I first started reloading.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old April 25, 2005, 05:31 PM   #18
kraigster414

I couldn't agree more as far as Dillon is concerned and I take major exception to the negative comment made by someone else in an earlier post. They (Dillon) go out of your way to help the consumer. And they seem to be "on duty" whenever you need them.

I wouldn't buy CCI primers now no matter what the price. Why risk a problem when you don't have to.
Old April 25, 2005, 06:09 PM   #19
Dogjaw

I've been using CCI primers almost exclusively in my 550 since I got it some 15 years ago. Not a single problem with them. I do have to question the judgment of mixing primers while reloading.
Old April 25, 2005, 06:16 PM   #20
kraigster414

You are absolutely correct Dog and it's something that I will never again do. I am new to the Dillon having recently upgraded from an old RCBS first generation 4x4. It was never a problem with the RCBS. A newbie mistake pure and simple.
Old April 25, 2005, 08:19 PM   #21
BigBoreKindaGuy

To kraigster414: Take exception if you wish to my "negative" remark...
When I wrote my answer I was not even thinking anything "negative" about Dillon...I was thinking that before a customer service rep is a company person they are first just a human being in a job that has to deal with lots of people's concerns and complaints every day.

And the particular problem reported by the caller had a quick solution that would solve the callers problems (regardless of root cause) and would allow the customer service rep to move onto other callers having problems that are not so easily resolved instead of having to do an in-depth analysis-paralysis on a problem that has such a known simple solution (again regardless of root cause).

And so as to not waste anymore band-width on my "negative" comment that is all I am going to comment on my comment.
Old April 25, 2005, 08:54 PM   #22
1911ONR

Another vote for CCI. Both large and small pistol primers and have had no problems with thousands of reloads. I have not reloaded rifle cartridges with by 550B (yet ).
Old April 30, 2005, 04:40 PM   #23
kraigster414

Big Bore, I appreciate the follow-up (seriously) but you're doin' the Texas 2-Step with me. Not to belabor the point but it was hard to construe your first post as anything but a ding against Dillon. Having said that, it's no big deal and I appreciate you chiming in.

What I got was validation, i.e., others have also experienced probelms with CCI primers and that's enough reason for me to avoid them in the future.

Enjoy and I am sure there are plenty of things we agree on.
Old May 1, 2005, 10:38 AM   #24
BigBoreKindaGuy

To kraigster414 said " but you're doin' the Texas 2-Step with me".

I went back and read my original reply and you are absolutely right...when I read it my words do sound like I was putting down Dillon. I must of been in a sarcastic mood when I wrote it because I have just run into too many customer service folks that seems to have forgotten their job description.

In any case I really do respect Dillon as three of my four presses are Dillon presses. BTW here is a great link of a cartoon about off-shore customer service. I am sure everyone here can relate to it in one manner or another. The link is:

http://www.lifesdigitals.com/wap/tech.swf

Also another thing....I guess I need to find me a nice Texas cowgirl to teach me not to step on toes while doin the Texas 2-step !

Your a good person. Cheers man!!
Old May 1, 2005, 11:59 AM   #25
kraigster414

LOL. This could be the beginning of a great friendship!

Not to worry Bigster. And good luck with the cowgirl!