The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old October 1, 2006, 06:47 AM   #1
FiveG

Why is 44 Special Ammo So Expensive?

I really like 44 Special, even as a carry revolver. Advantages of bullet size/weight, and not having to rely on expansion. Easy to shoot, too. BUT, practice ammo is so bloody expensive that it's really tough to afford to keep up with these wheelguns; indeed, I've considered taking mine to a defensive course, but if I had to pay for 1000 rounds, I might as well sell the house.

Does anyone know why that round is so expensive? Why should a box cost something like twice the cost of 45 ACP? Example: PMC on CTD: 45 ACP is $11.76; 44 Sp. is $19.78. And does anyone know any cheaper sources, shy of reloading?

FiveG
Old October 1, 2006, 07:16 AM   #2
shoots awe lots

You ever hear there is strenght in large numbers? Well that goes for price also. Handgun ammo-9mm-38spc-40sm-45acp-357mag-44mag-44spc. I own a Kahr K9 for good cheap shootin.
Old October 1, 2006, 07:36 AM   #3
WESHOOT2

like complaining about gas prices

Check here: www.georgia-arms.com

High quality, great value.
Old October 1, 2006, 07:53 AM   #4
FiveG

Unfortunately, they don't seem to carry 44 Spl except in Cowboy loads.

Shucks.
Old October 1, 2006, 09:44 AM   #5
woodpusher

supply and demand

Old supply and demand. little demand and little supply.
Old October 1, 2006, 10:29 AM   #6
RevolverLover

the .44spl is more of a reloaders caliber if you want to shoot alot.
Old October 1, 2006, 10:34 AM   #7
fairview mick

To Weshoot2

Check out the sites at www.natchezss.com, www.cheaperthandirt.com and a couple others. I think they're actually less expensive than Georgia Arms. Notice I say less expensive. I think .44 special is a great load out of a .44 mag handgun and super accurate, but very pricey to do a lot of practice.
Mickey
Old October 1, 2006, 10:47 AM   #8
rick_reno

I've got a few boxes of here from when my Dad died - he liked to shoot 44 special too. I reload, so I've never used his.
Old October 1, 2006, 11:10 AM   #9
22-rimfire

I think it is one of those deals where people talk about shooting 44spls but usually shoot the 44 mag. Reloaders just load down the 44 mag, so it is not an issue. Cost is a supply and demand thing. Think about it.... you own a gun shop and have 20 people buy 9mm, 15 people buy 38spl revolver, 15 people buy a 357mag, 1 buy a 44 spl revolver, and 8 buy 44 mag. Which ammo do you stock the most of....? Stores buy it and put it on the shelf where it sits until sold. The reason is obvious.

I have a similar problem with 41 mag loadings. But the number of choices have been increasing of late. I prefer the 50 round boxes and dislike the 20 round boxes. I view it as a sales gimmick where you pay the same for two 20 round boxes as you do a 50.

Find a gun shop that carries it and spend you money there. They will continue to stock it if it sells. Or, buy mail order and pay the substantial HAZMAT shipping fee relative to the small quantity sold.
Old October 1, 2006, 01:16 PM   #10
bottomscratcher

I roll my own, load down mag cases for the 29-2 so I don't have to clean the chamber ring for target work and up for hunting. You can tweek the fps from 950 to 1450 if you roll your own.

I do have a 624 3" and all I can find is PMC 240gr lead SWC locally, does cause a bit of leading, so I load it also and use .44spl Speer Golddot for the nightstand. Plan to experiment with plated lead target load soon.
Old October 1, 2006, 01:40 PM   #11
Skeet69

sportsman's guide...

I found some of that A-Merc 44 specials for like 13 bucks per 50! Its 240 gr RN lead, and shoots nice, and has nice reloadable brass!
Mike B
http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=180366
Old October 1, 2006, 02:27 PM   #12
omegapd

skeet,

Have you had any problems with that ammo? I bought a box too and about 10 out of the 50 rounds won't fit in my Charter Arms Bulldog cylinder. It's like they're sized incorrectly (too wide for the chambers)...

Still cheap and the ones that did fire were accurate enough.
John 15:12-13

This is my command: love another as I have loved you. No one has greater love than this, that someone would lay down his life for his friends.
Old October 1, 2006, 02:42 PM   #13
gak

Five G - go to this page regarding hotter .44 Special and then call them about it. Doesn't mean it's cheap (the query of this thread) but it's something: http://www.georgia-arms.com/loaded_ammo.htm

As many have said - supply and demand. Like another Rodney Dangerfield'd round, the .32 Mag, it is a great round that just hasn't been talked up enough in the right circles (since Elmer Keith days anyway) - in the midst of .45 Colt this and .357 that - to really get the press (and thus pressure on manufacturers) going. I have invested fairly heavily in .44 Mag. While I probably should, I do not reload and will feel the frustration of the high priced stuff too when I'm getting low on the older .44 Sp boxes I have. I sure like shooting the .44 Sp in that about 75% of the time in that as well as a slick Cimarron Model P (SAA) antiqued .44 Special that's a joy to shoot. Great self defense round too: low pressure, mild recoil (for the bore) but big hole. I like the round so much, I'm thinking of getting a S&W Mountain Gun in .44 Mag and loading it most of the time with .44 Sp as a SD gun, and the hotter stuff for actual dangerous-animal-territory trekking.

Keep looking around as some have posted links here and you'll find fairly reasonable stuff--I haven't looked (closely) in awhile as I'm still operating off an old stash. I for one hope (but am not holding breath) that the likes of Ruger will bring back the .44-40 in the New Vaquero configuration in a .44-40/.44 Special convertible (They may surprise me, but it's my guess it's likely the only way they would get us a "dedicated" .44 Special re overall demand, as the .44-40 still seems to have a strong cowboy (CAS/SASS) following). That would make a great SA, on the newer smaller NV frame.

Post script: Note that, among commercially available ammo, the vaunted .45 LC (Long Colt) isn't much better - and in some cases worse...but more folks are talking it up and dabbling in it, so a higher likelihood of finding occasional deals and broader range of loads.

Last edited by gak; October 1, 2006 at 02:57 PM. Reason: addition
Old October 1, 2006, 02:54 PM   #14
Skeet69

Seems to chamber OK for me, though I haven't gotten all the way through my two boxes I bought... I have a Super Redhawk.
Good luck...
Mike
Old October 1, 2006, 05:57 PM   #15
FiveG

I agree with the comment on 32 H&R Mag: to me, it's the ideal round with a scandium J-frame. But, there's not a lot of options on ammo. Frankly, I've gotten to the point where I don't get a lot of "fun" out of 44 Mag, and given that I like the ability to get a few rounds of quickly if needed, 44 Spl really fits the bill.

Thanks all for the links. I'll keep looking.

FiveG
Old October 1, 2006, 06:19 PM   #16
22-rimfire

I'm planning a trip to Atlanta soon on a week day. I believe I'm going to look up Georgia Arms and buy a good supply of ammo in-person.

Thought I would add this link. Maybe what you are looking for with 44 spl loads. http://east.outdoormarksman.com/index.php?cPath=65_1_20
Old October 1, 2006, 08:30 PM   #17
brett30030

Georgia Arms is located in Villa Rica, about 1 hour west of Atlanta in 20. They make a great product, not the cheapest, but very reliable. I have been using their rilfe ammo for 10+ years and their pistol ammo ever since i got back into shooting. They are a great company to deal with.
Old October 1, 2006, 08:48 PM   #18
Dave R

Just wanted to point out that the .44 spc is a great reason to get into reloading. You can get all necessary equipment for as little as $100 (or a lot more.) Cost per 50 should be around $3.50 for plinking ammo and $5-6 for premium ammo. Do the math...

(And the math doesn't begin to quantify the increased enjoyment of the sport.)
Old October 2, 2006, 02:38 AM   #19
Diggers

When a .44 mag case is down loaded does it mess with the accuracy? I read some place that this could be a problem.
Old October 2, 2006, 08:21 AM   #20
gak

FiveG - Yes, keep the .44 Sp faith--too good to die. Georgia Arms also one of the better .32 Mag rounds around.
PS - I've got the .32 Mag in a J - S&W 431PD and it's great. Also in Ruger Single Six, also a blast.