The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old October 24, 2006, 08:07 PM   #1
Glenn Bartley

Guns You Were happy To Sell...

I have seen several threads in various gun related forums asking which gun is it that you were not happy you sold, or whether or not you ever regretted seeling a gun. I cannot remember seeing anyone ask whether or not anyone ever sold a gun that they were really happy about selling - whether it was ebcause they got a good price, got rid of a lemon, or just sold something they did not want for whatever reason.

I have sold a few that I was happy to have sold. For instance, my first and only Ruger Ranch Rifle, in .223, was just not my cup of tea. I was disappointed with the weld marks in the receiver, the lack of accuracy when I shot from a rest, and how many times this rifle jammed with different types of ammunition. I sold it over GunBroker.com, and was honest as to why, and the guy who bought it was tickled pink with it when he got it; he loved it. That made it a happy sale for me.

I have heard that Ruger has made some changes as to how they make em nowadays, maybe I am due to try another.

All the best,
Glenn B
Old October 24, 2006, 08:51 PM   #2
OneInTheChamber

My Walther P22, even though it was a fun little gun and was decently accurate for its barrel length. My hands grew out of it and I acquired more and more centerfire handguns I didn't feel the need for it. I also had a .22 conversion kit for my Glock, which allows me to shoot rimfire when I want to. I sold it to a good friend of mine and he likes it.

I still regret selling that 870 at trade in for $75 though
Old October 24, 2006, 09:07 PM   #3
deadin

I had an Armalite M15A4 that I was extremely happy to get rid of. I am an experienced handloader and after 3 months of trying to find a load/bullet combination that would work, I never managed to get much better than 3" MOA. I had picked it up used and, at the time, it appeared to have had very little use. All I can figure is that it was a lemon. I wasn't impressed enough by the AR15 platform to pursue major repairs, so I sold it.

Dean
Old October 24, 2006, 09:12 PM   #4
springmom

The Bersa .380 I bought late last year, and traded a few months later for my .38 snubbie. Spat hot burning gunpowder onto the back of my hand and wrist. That is not my idea of a good time.

It was a nice little gun otherwise, and I shot well with it, but....OUCH.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 24, 2006, 09:18 PM   #5
joab

Beretta 92FS Compact L type M

Never heard of it?
There's a reason

Apparently made for the Euro market it never took off here

Barely smaller than a full size with a single stack mag

A cousin bought it in OK and later hocked it to me for $300, it took me two years to sell that thing

Last edited by joab; October 25, 2006 at 08:26 AM.
Old October 24, 2006, 09:50 PM   #6
Glockamolie

Kimber Pro BP Ten II. Bought it new, and it wouldn't make it through a mag with out a FTF/FTE. Tried several mags. Tried different ammo. It wouldn't even eat ball reliably. Sent it to Kimber. "No problem found", they said. Traded it for a net loss. If you're happy with your Kimber, great! Several of my friends are. I'll never own another, so I don't have to say, "Fooled me twice, shame on me."
Old October 24, 2006, 10:10 PM   #7
skeeter1

Yeah, I had one I was happy to sell. A Beretta Jetfire chambered in .22 short. Nicely made little pistol, but .22 short? What was I thinking? I'm glad I found a buyer for it.
Old October 24, 2006, 10:22 PM   #8
FS2K

I buy alot of junk.

So it's natural to have a few I really loved getting rid of.

Star Firestar .45 ACP. Heavy. The frame wore through right about the slide release. TOO CHROME.

Sig 220. Bought it dirt cheap and made a killing from it.

AK22. Some chinese el cheapo gun.

My 1st 10/22. Must've had a half a million rounds through that thing, slide stop pin would fall out without the stock, and the barrel looked like a muskets...but a guy offered me $400 for it! I bought a brand new one and all the goodies to make another one just like it with the money.

Davis .22 Mag Derringer. Couldn't hit a soda can 4 ft away from me with that thing.
Old October 25, 2006, 04:59 AM   #9
mjrodney

Two, and both in the same day.

One fine day, my bride and I, side by side, each bought a new handgun.

Shortly thereafter, we took both of them to the range and it didn't take long for both of us to realize we made a mistake. There wasn't any question or doubt about it. Sometimes, you just know when things aren't right for you.

Kinda like a shoe.

The next day, we went back to the dealer and traded them in.

At a loss to us, of course, but there is no sense in keeping two guns that you knew weren't for you from the very beginning, and that would spend most of their useful lives in the safe until you finally got around to selling them.

FWIW, we now try to rent, and multiple times, the next new handgun in the collection, before we buy.
Old October 25, 2006, 08:22 AM   #10
ebd10

Charter Arms Bulldog Pug. The recoil was so violent that it would unseat the bullets from their cases, causing them to protrude from the front of the cylinder, making the whole gun a 19 ounce club.

I also sold a brand new Taurus Model 85 that had a problem with the cylinder binding up. That was 20 years ago and I've never bought another Taurus.:barf:
Old October 25, 2006, 08:30 AM   #11
Edward429451

Two. Cobra Patriot 45. Thats just too little gun for too much bullet. Recoil & fireball were just too much.

Streetsweeper 12 ga, POS. I almost didn't want to sell it to the guy out of conscience but I was honest with him about it and he had hollywood in his eyes so wouldn't hear it. Good luck with that.
Old October 25, 2006, 04:09 PM   #12
Shooter 973

Happy to sell!!!

I was looking for a small pocket type handgun in 22lr that could live in my fishing box. Bought a Jennings 22 for about $35, used and tried to get it to shoot with some kind of regularity. Never would function well!!!:barf: . Found a Phoenix 22 that was much better, sold the Jennings for $50 and never looked back. Told the guy that bought it that it was a POS and didn't work well. He still thought it could be made to run, Good Luck!!!
The problem with America is stupidity. I'm not saying there should be capital punishment for stupidity, but why don't we just take the safety labels off of everything and let the problem solve itself?
Old October 25, 2006, 04:52 PM   #13
UglyGlock

I was pretty happy to get rid of a Llama 1911 in 9mm. That gun was definately what biased me against 9mm.
Old October 25, 2006, 06:28 PM   #14
44 AMP
Staff

yes there were some

Llama .357 Comanche, and a 1911 style .45. Neither was reliable, and I was happy to pass them on to someone(s) who thought they could do better.

A Monkey Ward pump gun that somebody had bobbed, just a tad short. That one went for parts.

A .303 SMLE that had been chopped, barrel sawed off just legal (no crown), stock butchered, no sights, etc. paid $10, sold it a year later, for $15!

A .25 auto, that I was just happy to see leave.

I'm sure there have been others, I just can't remember them right now.
Old October 25, 2006, 06:36 PM   #15
BILLDAVE

An Old Browning

:barf: I had a Belgium Browning A-5 with mfg. date in the forties. The safety was a push/pull lock system on the front of the triggerguard. I'm use to the button safety (on the rear) on newer Brownings that I could never get the thing off during sudden or not so sudden flushes. Missed a lot of birds with that one. One day I told a guy before hunting the gun was for sale for $500 he was very interested until after the hunt he said he wouldn't give me $100 for that gun. I'm still glad I got rid of that gun. It was a nightmare.
Old October 25, 2006, 06:44 PM   #16
Ammo Junky

S+W sigma ,went back to the factory 2x and still wouldnt strip a rnd of the mag with the slide locked and droped. :barf:

I apologise in advance for spelling errors.
Old October 25, 2006, 08:17 PM   #17
Meatco1

British .303 Jungle carbine. POS couldn't hold a 10" group at 100 yds.

Worst rifle I ever owned,

Richard
Old October 25, 2006, 09:25 PM   #18
9mmsnoopy

the two walther ppk/s that i used to own. good riddance to bad rubbish is the way i felt.
Bushmaster AR15
Old October 25, 2006, 09:55 PM   #19
tomh1426

H&K usp .45 , Nothin wrong with the gun Itself it just didnt fit me.
I dont know why I got it but I dont like double stacks or plastic guns
Old October 25, 2006, 10:44 PM   #20
oldbillthundercheif

Kahr Thompson... begone foul junker! I hope I never see one again.
Old October 26, 2006, 07:00 PM   #21
Dave R

I dunno. Never sold one outright. Traded a couple in, which I felt fine about.

Had a Mossy 835. Bought a Rem 870. Liked the 870 better. Traded the 835 on P-32. Later traded the P-32 in on a P-3AT. Happy with that trade.

Had a Colt Mustang for 2 weeks. It was just shot out. Too worn. Shot shotgun groups. I couldn't hit a tin can with it at 7 yards. Traded it in on some other handgun.
Old October 26, 2006, 07:08 PM   #22
Apple a Day

CZ-52. The extractor blew off after 114 rounds. I replaced it. Good ammo was hard to find. I went through a lot of hard primers and some hangfires which freaked me out. It shot pretty well but trigger slap was bad. Grips sucked but I wasn't about to spend $50 on grips for a $135 range gun.
Old October 26, 2006, 07:55 PM   #23
2rugers

Ruger mini-14. Paid $450.00 dollars for it around '90. Would not do much better than 2.5" regardless of ammo. It would jam if you used ANY high cap. magazine.
Sold it at a gun show a year later for $425.00, and immediately bought a Win. 30/30 from a guy walking around with one at the show for $175.00.
Also spent $199.00 on a new scoped 10/22 with the left over cash at the same show.
That 30/30 will do 1 1/2"s with Win. power point 150 gr. and is always zeroed.
The 10/22 has killed more of everything than I care to count, from bottle caps to big pigs.
Another "BAD BUY" was a Taurus Tracker 7 shot .357 Titanium. The cylinder face began to pit after about 50 rds. of .357.
Sold it for a loss and bought another Ruger Mkll.
When I find things that work and work well, I tend to buy them in pairs.
2 Ruger GP-100's, etc., etc., etc.
Old October 27, 2006, 06:42 AM   #24
Nail Shooter

ONLY gun I've ever gotten rid of was a Colt Combat Commander--in 9mm (bought it new). What a beautiful firearm and it fit my hand perfectly.

I just cannot keep a gun that is not reliable, so it went. Traded it in on a G19 with nights. I have numerous other Glocks now. Not near as pretty as the Colt was, but ALL of them ALWAYS go bang. Stay safe. Regards,

NS
Old October 27, 2006, 07:44 AM   #25
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

I don't really regret selling any of them. Can't think of many I sold that I'd be pantingly eager to buy back, either...