The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old July 3, 2009, 10:56 AM   #1
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

The day the squirrel won...

Since a few bit finger tales comes forth from the "right tool" thread in shotgun section, I decided to share a little diddy 'bout the day the "baby" the pet squirrel and the "Meter Reader" (mr from here on out) got themselves aquainted.

So we had raised this little bugger that fell from the nest since just after some fur started and eyes were not yet fully opened... He lived a charmed life. His cage that sarted as a 2X3X4 wood frame was enlarged as he grew to become a 7 foot tall double decker condo.
Had all the amenities a squirrel would expect, hand made nest box and fresh bedding always available as he seemed like a tidy bedroom. Always peanuts and corn available and during holidays we would stock up on the mixed nuts so he usually had walnuts, brazil nuts and hazel nuts stashed all over. We would handle him often and he knew he was a spoiled little brat. Since he was a wild captured animal he still had that tendency... so I put a little sign on the cage that read "My Name Is BABY, I BITE So Watch Yer Nuts"....
I arrive home from work one day and there is blood everywhere in the carport... The walls, ceiling and obviously the floor. It looked like someone had killed and butchered a one ton bull with a claw hammer and hatchet. I look around to see evidence of B&E and possibly a dead dog or clothing items from a dog bit perp.

None was found so as the month passed I was perplexed... One day I am sittin' out there in the carport "for shade" swilling a few beers and tossin' back some of that fine mountain grown "unaged corn liquor" when the black mr shows up to read it. Black doesn't matter much but a high class respectful black man can be hilarious to hear and watch tell an exciting funny story...

So the story goes a little like this... He had been seein' "Baby" for many months and had even been bringing him candies like Bit-O-Honey or Squirrel Nut Chews and would give him a piece and poke his finger in the wire and pet the loving cuddly bugger a few minutes... On this particular month he forgot to have a piece of candy... but as a meter reader he carried little milk bone dog biscuits to make friends with customer dogs. He offered one to baby, baby took it but right when mr stuck his finger in, baby decided that the dog treat was unacceptable and showed his disdain by sinking his teeth into mr's index finger tip right behind the nail. MR instinctively jerked back but Baby didnot let go, this caused a nasty 1/4 inch wound to the bone... but wait there is more... Baby made sure he had a good oral grip now but teeth are now just 3/16ths in from tip and as mr pulled this time, the nail and tip of finger popped right off... mr goes to trying to shake the searing pain away (like a hammer strike induces on the thumb and we always shake it) and realizes there is some blood... he freaks when he sees the blood shooting 6-12 inches out of the tip and goes to runnin' around staring at it and trips over something on the floor and instinctively puts out his wounded hand to break the fall which really set the pain to raging and he jumped to his feet nearly wiping out slipping on the wet blood but caught his balance by grabbing the metal pole supporting the outside end of the roof. This set off a whole new session of hand shaking....
I asked why he didn't read and obey the sign... he said he thought it was a joke and that the squirrel had always chattered at him and seemed like a perfect angel but was now sure it was a demon seed of satan!
He described it as "What felt like an hour" before he got his composure to leave... I probably didn't do the story justice but I hope it got you a chuckle...
Brent
Old July 3, 2009, 11:02 AM   #2
cornbush

I just about blew my coffee out my nose onto my keyboard. Chalk one up to the squirrel.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:30 AM   #3
fisherman66

I love a good yarn. Especially a plausible one.
Old July 3, 2009, 11:39 AM   #4
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Fisherman, I swear on everything I cherish... I didn't even have to embellish at all on this here "yarn" I even offered the guy a beer or shot and he said "It's all good man... it was my fault." I told him the beer or shot ain't for making amends, it was a thank you for tellin' me the gut ripping funny story!
Brent
Old July 3, 2009, 11:58 AM   #5
rantingredneck

. At least I kept the tip of my thumb.......

In my case the teeth went in just at the edge of the thumb on both sides of the thumbnail. I had to pinch and pry that little bugger's jaws off me.

A PO'd squirrel is the spawn of Satan.....

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old July 6, 2009, 06:42 PM   #6
FrontSight

a good reason to always carry mace...
Old July 6, 2009, 07:46 PM   #7
flyguyskt

and you want me to go grab pigs with you....riiiiight...i can already see the story in print here....south dakota redneck meets fired up florida hog and gets whooped! photos inside
Old July 6, 2009, 08:00 PM   #8
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Just think of all the laughs that would get though! Naw I wasn't home to help out the meter man. I would do all i can to keep ya safe! Wouldn't want to lose a huntin' spot cuz a life flight chopper landed in a pasture, frightening the ponies to haul out a severely wounded yankee who met the north bound end of a mad hog! Spots are hard to come by...
Brent
Old July 6, 2009, 08:12 PM   #9
langenc

When I shoot one I usually observe it-where it lays for a while. They are all teeth to be sure.
Old July 6, 2009, 08:19 PM   #10
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

lang, I don't shoot hogs. we just grab 'em by the legs while the bulldog keeps the sharp end occupied... flyguy is just the latest I got itchin' to give it a whirl. It is a real rush even if you are just grabbin the stinky end
Brent
Old July 6, 2009, 10:57 PM   #11
fisherman66

Brent, you should try noodling some time. Same kind of technique, but fer fish (except yer grabbin the head end).
Old July 6, 2009, 11:03 PM   #12
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

Naw! HECK NO WAY!!!! I know what else lives in them holes! The worst being a big ol' alligator snappin turtle! I will pass on that! Heck I don't like crossin a beaver pond at night gettin to a bayed up hog! I won't wade... I swim keeping my hands and feet on top where I only have to worry about 'gators!
Brent
Old July 8, 2009, 11:20 PM   #13
FrontSight

Damn good point...not to hijack, but do people not lose fingers by noodling?
Old July 8, 2009, 11:31 PM   #14
srt 10 jimbo

Got a pet squirrel I raised from a baby ( she was about to get pounced on by neighbors cat) Have had her for over 2 years now. Hammy, my kids love her, my wife hates it and she's like part of the family now. dont tell wife squirrels live up to 20 years in captivity. I even made her a 5 level tower, It's the squirrel trade center.
Old July 9, 2009, 01:42 AM   #15
KC9LDB

hahahahahaha! well done, great story!!!
Old July 31, 2009, 02:54 PM   #16
Cope's Dist

Guess the squirrel figured if mr was gonna treat him like a dog (giving him dog biscuits) ... he was gonna act like one.

www.copesdistributing.com
Old July 31, 2009, 03:14 PM   #17
davebig

Awesome tale