The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old November 30, 2009, 09:58 PM   #51
Sweet Daddy D

Where some see loss, others see Opportunity

Let's face it. Remington's offer sucks. It is nothing more than a ploy to sell you another firearm. Why would you want to buy anything else from them when they are already trying to rip you off? Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. What happens when there is a problem with the replacement, are they going to offer me $250.00 for it too?

I have over 3000 rounds of 17HMR ammo (thank god it is not Remington) and I am not in the market for another caliber rifle and they didn't have any other 17's I was interested in buying.

I started to look at their competition and bought a Savage 93R17. To my surprise, it is probably the best rimfire I have ever owned. I had always been a little biased against them, but after reading the reviews, I decided to give them a chance and I am really glad I did. I have heard great things about Savage's customer support as well.

In a strange way I guess I really owe Remington a favor. Because of them, I found a better product from what seems to be a better company. I'll never buy another Remington product again. Next time I am in the market for a rifle, I will definitely give Savage a another look.

Now for the rest of the issue. What do I do with my 597? Well, the way I see it, I am going to give them until the end of the year to come clean and do the right thing. If not, small claims court it will be. I am not going to give them the satisfaction of rolling over on this.

You should think about it. There is no problem with bolt action rifles, so it is obvious that Remington didn't test this product out very well. In my opinion (and I am no lawyer), that means they are liable as there is obviously a flaw with their product. They realize this because they are offering you chump change to buy it back. Why would they spend any money to buy it back if they weren't afraid they had some liability?

The way I see it, you can take it in the rear or fight back on this.

Here is the deal with small claims court. Depending upon where you live, it will cost you between $60.00-$100.00 to file a case. The court will serve Remington with the papers, and they have to respond. If they ignore it, they lose and have to pay you for your claim. If they respond, it will cost them at least $1,000.00 (or more) to send a lawyer. You can sue for court cost, and the amount of actual damages (cost of firearm and miscellaneous expenses). If you lose, you are out your court cost but you still have thier measly 200.00-$250.00 offer. If you win, you get just compensation.

Again, I am not a lawyer and please use your own discretion, but I for one, do not like being treated like a chump and would encourage anyone else that is not happy with the "buyback" program to stand up and be counted. Life is not fair, and you get only what you are willing to fight for.

My two cents

Last edited by Sweet Daddy D; November 30, 2009 at 10:26 PM.
Old December 5, 2009, 10:16 PM   #52
NoBambi

Even though it is not their fault, Magmun Research is at least offering the purchase price for the rifle.

I have heard this is the only semi auto that is trustful in 17 HMR

http://www.magnumresearch.com/docs/17HMRCombined.pdf
Old December 6, 2009, 11:52 AM   #53
MoBart

Sweetdaddy, Savage make some lower end rimfires that are so so, but I've got a mark II that is amazing shooter for $340 that I paid. With a BSA AO scope that was also fairly inexpensive for good rifle scopes, its a one hole shooter at the range and caused alot of long ears to become gravy. The standard for econamy and accuracy has been the 110 for about 50 years or so. I bought a 597 when they first came out, mine was a .22lr, and it sucked. The extractor would goof up occasionaly, the ejector sucked most of the time, the plastic magazine it came with was a poorly made as it could be, and the scope mount holes in the top werent true, they were at a weird angle but they were all the same angle at least. The 597 was an iffy design to start with, and production quality sucked like Monday morning.
Old December 10, 2009, 04:37 PM   #54
Lowell

Follow the other blogs too . . . . . about the 597

There's strength in numbers.I have been following the blog below.Maybe,with enough dissatisfied people getting after Remington,we'll get something done right.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2...-597/#comments
Old December 10, 2009, 04:42 PM   #55
MemphisJim

There may be some hope for salvaging our 597/.17HMR receivers. Volquartsen Customs is considering a run of .22WMR barrels. I have been exchanging emails with Scott Volquartsen who advises they will be bull barrels if the company proceeds with the project. If that's something you'd be interested in, send an email to [email protected] expressing your support.
Old December 17, 2009, 03:27 AM   #56
andrewstorm

rem recall

I case anyone hasnt noticed,remington (the big green) has allways had saftey recalls,mainly to cover their own ass,they dont care about the consumer,or they would rebarrel or replace all the recalled guns,even cva a smaller co. was good enough and smart ,to replace any dangerous gun, and defective plastic sights , big green dumb giant!mad:maybe they need a class action suit started against them.

Last edited by andrewstorm; December 17, 2009 at 03:32 AM. Reason: added comments
Old December 24, 2009, 08:22 PM   #57
jimmutchler

other recalls

A few years ago, I received a recall notice from Vektor in South Africa for my CP1. They not only reimbursed me for my gun (which i had never shot) they also paid for shipping and gave me a check for an extra $100 above the gun's cost. They were always available via an 800 number, and very courteous and helpful.
Remington, an American company, offers us a token, with no admission of culpability, and expects us to purchase another of their products. As evidenced from the many posts I've seen on the web, their customer service leaves a lot to be desired.
Evidentally they hadn't even test-fired this gun when they put it out on the market. what the heck Remington - !! This just shows how much you think of your loyal Remington collectors and users!
Old January 3, 2010, 08:57 PM   #58
ww2freak27

Glad my 597 is in .22lr. Even if I had the .17hmr version, I wouldn't hand it over. Like others have said "instant collector's item" and "the recall is a rip off" are both very true. Cheers
Old January 14, 2010, 04:22 PM   #59
mwmjones

Graet News

I just spoke to a customer service rep at Remington and they are currently swapping out the barrels and converting this rifle to 22WMR at no cost

Call them @ 1-800-243-9700 option #3 and have your serial # number ready to have them send you a postage paid mailing label

Good Luck!

Michael
Old January 14, 2010, 11:09 PM   #60
StainlessButcher

I looked at this and even with my hillbilly physics, I can see what is happening. Basically, you are attempting to pour a mason jar full of corn squeezins through your powder funnel into a straw from dairy queen all in one shot. For you more sophisticated folks, it appears that the powder is not burning completely in the chamber and it continues to burn as it's leaving the chamber to be ejected. If you do that often enough, your chamber will foul, then you'll end up firing out of battery which is where your magazine seems to explode out of the bottom of your gun among other things. And we act surprised when someone necks down what is undoubtedly one of the weakest pieces of cartridge brass on the planet and it has failures? Just a wild guess here, but I would not be surprised if the bolt action 17s don't have the problems seen in this article.

http://www.eabco.com/17HM2Testing.htm
Old January 15, 2010, 10:28 AM   #61
MemphisJim

Thanks for the post, mwmjones. I'm going to sneak by the house today to get my serial number so I can make the call and (maybe) get the process going.
Old January 15, 2010, 03:59 PM   #62
MemphisJim

I made the call to Remington a few minutes ago. If you want to salvage any value from the rifle, I recommend this course. I'd rather have a duplicated .22WMR rifle collection than a "safe queen" .17HMR in the personal battery. Certainly, I had no intention of participating in the previously announced "recall on the cheap" by Big "R". When it's returned, I may even reconsider my personal boycott of all things Big "R" branded. If you call for the shipping label, you MUST have your rifle's serial number.
Old January 16, 2010, 11:04 AM   #63
TXGunNut

Theory

Fist of all, I'm not a Remington employee or a firearms engineer. I do, however, have a theory that may explain what is happening with the 597 in 17HMR. I've been an active shooter and careful handloader for over 30 years. I've read dozens of posts, here and elsewhere, and I have owned this rifle since it was the newest, hottest thing in rimfire rifles.
In a nutshell, my theory is bore obstruction, plain and simple. My rifle's bore was shipped with something awful in the bore. This gooey black garbage would have caused dangerous pressures and a disastrous malfunction if I hadn't discovered it and cleaned it out. I think that may explain a few posts that described a failure within 8 or 11 rounds. Any new or newly acquired firearm should be cleaned and inspected before firing! Like many rimfire fans I generally don't clean my rimfire rifles' bores very often, sometimes for hundreds of rounds. Some .22's simply don't need it, some even seem to shoot better dirty. That ended when I was policing brass after shooting a feral dog and noticed pressure signs near the base of the case. A thorough cleaning removed quite a bit of fouling for such a tiny bore. Think about this: a .17 caliber bore has a fraction of the surface area of a .22. The .17HMR fires as much powder as any rimfire and it doesn't all make it past the muzzle, some residue remains in the bore. Each round fired adds to the residue and soon the bore effectively shrinks in size and will not allow even a tiny .17 caliber bullet to travel its intended path without a dangerous amount of pressure in the bore, chamber and the cartridge case. The case is by design the weak point here and will fail under these conditions.
I think Remington is making a mistake by letting the lawyers run the company. I'm not a fan of RP rifles but I like their ammo. I'm going to keep my 597 because it's worth more to me than $200. But I'm going to keep it clean. I suspect the posters who have had no problems will agree with me. I don't believe the engineers @ RP have a bad design. I think the lawyers guiding corporate decisions don't understand simple physics and firearms maintenance.
Old January 19, 2010, 09:59 PM   #64
toolguyb

I called Remington today and they are sending a RMA in the mail. I am glad Rem finally decided to do something about this. Converting my 17 to 22mag is not ideal for me, but much better than a safe queen. I was for sure not biting on their first deal I guess now I can look forward to finding a 17hmr in a bolt gun
Old January 20, 2010, 03:40 PM   #65
racin

I already sent my rebate in and also cashed my check. I wonder if there is any way of giving back the cash and getting my gun back?
Old January 23, 2010, 12:26 PM   #66
one.shot.one.kill

17 HMR swap for bolt gun

toolguyb: I have a 597 17 hmr, and as was stated earlier, I do keep in clean; cleaned it before I shot it and continue to polish the bore. I have no intention of getting rid of it. And is shoots incredibly. Also, my Marlin 917V is an amazing shooter for the money. If you're considering a bolt 17 hmr, I don't see how you can improve much on the Marlin (although I redid the trigger in mine).
Political Correctness: A doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up excrement by the clean end.
Old February 22, 2010, 12:24 PM   #67
gunmandanhunting

597 Remington .17 HMR barrel swap

I got in touch with Remington and indeed they have came to their senses, somewhat and have deceided to re barrel the 597 to .22 mag at no cost. They will send you a UPS pickup notice if you give them the serial number of your gun. I had a .22 mag 597 and loved it ,but bought the .17 when it came out and sold my .22 mag. At least I'll have a shooter instead of a wall hanger. I purchased my .17 in 2003 and had absolutely no problems with it.
Old February 24, 2010, 04:03 PM   #68
mountain

Remington .17 Cal Just Blew Up! Blew Magazine Apart

Looking to return mine ASAP. Today it cooked a round off and blew the magazine out in pieces. Until today it was a decent gun. It's toast now
Breech is blackened and it does not cycle. What a waste. I saw no mention of a recall on the remington web site. I found this thread on google. LAME LAME LAME. Someone.... maybe the company that sold the gun would/should tell registered owners.
Old February 28, 2010, 04:25 PM   #69
mountain

Remington 17 HMR is Dangerous

My 597 blew a magazine the other day so I cleaned lubricated the gun and put it in a gun vise. First shot went ok, but the second shot it blew magazine out again. I snaked the bore and it shot accurately several times with just one round in chamber and none in magazine. The brass had a 1/4 inch long crack from the neck. I have had this gun for years and it always been reliable until now.
Old March 3, 2010, 04:49 PM   #70
spotter123654

this stinks in some ways ........ period
Old March 10, 2010, 01:46 AM   #71
brucey44

Does this product recall/warning apply to pellet guns as well?
Old March 11, 2010, 12:56 AM   #72
SigP6Carry

Airguns... in .17 HMR... I'm just confused.
Old March 11, 2010, 05:21 PM   #73
slab11

my buddy and i have been hashing this over for some time now. i think it also has something to do with the spring and the cartrige pressures, since the ammo warnings up at the sports stores say dont use ANY 17hmr ammo in a semi-auto gun. also, to lend some support to this, you can buy a volquartsen gun which has some special action couterweight to solve the pressure issue.
check it out. now, this one will cost you, but appears safer...
https://www.volquartsen.com/products...emi-auto-rifle
Old March 12, 2010, 10:39 AM   #74
Te Anau

Quote:
The 597 was an iffy design to start with, and production quality sucked like Monday morning.
I completely disagree.My 597 in .22lr has been a great gun and is extremely accurate.There is nothing wrong with the design of the gun.The magazine has been fine tuned but so what?
Old March 22, 2010, 10:42 PM   #75
stevenofmo

597 recall

I hadn't heard about this recall until today. As a friend of mine said, "you shouldn't continue to shoot my 597 in the 17 HMR". I am also disappointed that they only offer about half the cost of my rifle. I did find another semi auto manufacture of the 17 HMR that is offering a full refund or trade for equal value. I wish and hope Remington will do the same as it is only right. Here is the link to Magnum Research with their offer. http://www.magnumresearch.com/docs/17HMRCombined.pdf
I think we need to push Remington to do the same thing. I was never a big Remington fan, but have had great fun with this gun. I was also impressed with how well it grouped for this type of rifle, now it will be sad that it could possibly fail one day.