The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 19, 2023, 09:48 AM   #26
ciwsguy

Already did that. The 180 was the worst, as is stated by the OP and me
Old December 19, 2023, 11:09 AM   #27
Unclenick
Staff

Stated where? A text search of the thread shows my mention of the 180 was the first in the thread.

Alaska Mike made a favorable mention of the 200-grain weight, and there are a couple more mentions of that weight that are neutral but not negative. Problems with short bullets often have to do with alignment in the cartridge during seating (runout, which is not something normally considered in a handgun context but which can affect the distortion of lead bullets). Anyway, it's just another thing that can be tried. I have had some commercial cast 180-grain full wadcutters that shot well, but those present feeding issues in lever guns.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 20, 2023, 09:03 PM   #28
jetinteriorguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by ciwsguy View Post
Isn't that a dead caliber for new firearms production? No thanks. I have enough calibers to reload already and don't see the point in increasing the herd. I'll just have to keep separate ammo for the 44 revolver and the 44 lever gun.
Henry is still making them in their BBS. I was mostly being facetious, us .41mag guys are kind of different. Until you get bit by the bug you’ll never get it.