The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old March 5, 2001, 08:01 AM   #1
Digger

I was having buyer's regret that I didn't spend an extra $85.00 to get the S&W airweight, until I went to the range.

My Taurus M85 Ultralite 38 snub is terrific!! The trigger is great. The double action trigger was very easy to keep on target. The single action trigger was very crisp at the break. I was hitting 4" groups at 20 yds (single action).

The most impressive part was the little 2-finger grips. They really helped soak up recoil and make the pistol a natural pointer. I was hitting within a 12" target on 7 yard draw and point shoot drills. For a non-aimed shot, I think that's pretty good out of a snub.

The best.... it went BANG every time. I'm very comforted carrying my new little friend!

Who has a S&W airweight? Are they worth the difference in price? What are the differences in shooting? Any other Taurus fans out there?
Old March 5, 2001, 05:28 PM   #2
sox

I have both an 85UC ported and a SW 342PD, I do really like my Taurus better, but I think because it is more comfortable to shoot with the porting. I am going to magnaport my SW and see. I would like to shoot one of the 13.5 oz. 37s to see if it is the weight that makes the difference, but I believe it is the porting. The Taurus has a better trigger out of the box by far.
Old March 5, 2001, 05:46 PM   #3
Lightsped

I like my Total Titanium Taurus 85 so well, I bought a Stainless Steel version of the Taurus 85 too. They are cool guns. Very cool.
I would recommend staying away from leaded ammo though. Leaded ammo causes the ports and front sight to get really dirty....

Old March 5, 2001, 06:04 PM   #4
Ezeckial

I've depended on an 85UL for personal defense for quite a while now. It replaced a Stainless 85.

I carry a Kahr MK9 or Glock 19 too...but the most often is that little light weight .38.

Glad it worked well for you...I had a problem with light strikes initially (fairly common problem, if you do a search on TFL).

I'd use standard velocity .38's for most of your shooting...keep the +P's for carry.
Old March 5, 2001, 06:35 PM   #5
AUTiger73

Taurus M85

Purchased a Taurus M85 Aluminum frame (pre-titanium version)revolver over 4 years ago and have had no problems with it. One of my sons has a Taurus M85 all steel version, again with no problems. Both equal the accuracy of comparable S&W revolvers.

While I have a nice collection of S&W "J-frame" revolvers and prefer the S&W Model 60, Model 36, et.al. J-frame revolvers, the Taurus is the best buy for the dollar. Taurus quality has improved greatly in recent years. As I continue to buy used (pre-agreement) S&W revolvers, the Taurus would be my choice for a new titanium revolver.
Old March 6, 2001, 06:29 AM   #6
denfoote

My wife, and I both own Tauri. Hers is the Aluminum M85UL, and mine is the blued steel version. She carries hers, while I have gravitated to bigger things. I have stated before that I do not consider her to be ill armed.
One thing, I do not advise shooting lead bullets through the light framed Tauri. The crimp on the bullets is not strong enough to resist the recoil of the frame. Use jacketed bullets only, or you will lock up your gun!!!!!!
Arizona: Flush the Johns!!!
Old March 6, 2001, 11:59 AM   #7
mini14jac

Digger,
Congrats on your purchase.
I bought a Model 85, UL (Aluminum and Stainless) about 3 weeks ago.
We have put about 125 rounds through it so far.
I too was very pleased with the accuracy, both SA and DA.
I am not sure that I agree with denfoote about the lead bullets.
Lead are the cheapest, and most aluminum frame guns are heavy enough that the bullets won't unseat.
Most of the rounds that we shot were lead, with no problem.
We also have a S&W Airweight, 642 ( I think).
Internal hammer, and about 2 - 3 oz. lighter than the Taurus. Because the backstrap on the S&W is exposed, it is much more uncomfortable to shoot than the Taurus.
When I bought my 85UL, there was a used Airweight, just like my wife's available, but it was $30 more than the new Taurus.
I emailed S&W to see if the life time warranty applied to used guns.
I got two replies from different individuals at S&W.
One said "Yes, if it was an ovbious manufacturing defect."
The last one said " NO, the warranty only applies to the original owner."
I prefer a warranty on my guns.

Enjoy,
JP
Old March 6, 2001, 01:22 PM   #8
pinetree

I really like my Ultra Light Taurus 38spcl. It may only be five shots, but it is handy, light, shoots a real round and concealable. At my property in the summer it is loaded with snake shot. other times it is with Hydrashoks. It shoots well for a snubby and I have no regrets. I sold a Colt Mustang to buy it. I didn't like carrying the mustang cocked & locked and found the safety too small.

tjg

Old March 7, 2001, 06:18 PM   #9
Doug S

I have a friend who recently purchased a model 85 ultralight. He is very happy with it. He has had the cylinder lock up twice when shooting the heavier 158 grain (he has only shot the 158gr twice) wadcutters. Upon inspection it appeared that the primers had backed out a little. He was using cheap magtech ammo, I think. This has never happened with the lighter grain stuff. I own a stainless 85 which I like very much.
Old July 23, 2009, 09:59 AM   #10
ECHOONE

Just remember DO NOT shoot any lead ammo thru the 85 ul titanium ultralite and you won't have any problems,it's right in the manual,alot of people fail to read those darn things! another words the semi leaded wad cutters are a no no, pick another round!
Old July 23, 2009, 12:12 PM   #11
dgludwig

And speaking of manuals, don't dry-fire your Taurus revolvers without using snap caps. Don't know what Taurus's reasoning is but it's right there in the manual.
Old July 23, 2009, 06:39 PM   #12
LightningJoe

Quote:
And speaking of manuals, don't dry-fire your Taurus revolvers without using snap caps. Don't know what Taurus's reasoning is but it's right there in the manual.

Yes. I broke mine that way. I think that breaks the firing pin.
Old July 23, 2009, 08:33 PM   #13
B.N.Real

I am very happy with the three 85's I have owned and the third one is a Ultralight that shoots great and is very easy to carry.

Looks great too.
Old July 23, 2009, 10:00 PM   #14
Doug S

This is funny, I posted to this thread about 8 years ago. Well, since someone saw a need to get it started again, I thought I should update. The Taurus 85 I owned broke. I had a number of Taurus guns after this date that also required repairs. I no longer purchase Taurus firearms as a result of my experiences. Don't honestly know what my friend did with his, but he has since moved on to other guns. I much prefer S&W and Ruger today. I had a lot of problems with Taurus reliability. I was a fan after the first couple revolvers in the late 90's, but they went downhill from there.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles." Col. Jeff Cooper, from The Art of the Rifle

Last edited by Doug S; July 24, 2009 at 09:12 AM.
Old July 23, 2009, 10:12 PM   #15
isanchez2008

Have a Taurus 850 and a S&W 642 with crimson trace rubberized grips. The smith is much more comfortable to shoot. Not that 38's are that painfull. The trigger on my smith is much smoother. No reliability issues with either. Both are good guns. By the way the crimson grips cover the backstrap and are softer than the taurus stock rubber.
Old July 23, 2009, 10:29 PM   #16
Shadi Khalil

Congrats. I had a Taurus 617 that had a better trigger pull then any of the S&W's I've owned.

Quote:
I would recommend staying away from leaded ammo though. Leaded ammo causes the ports and front sight to get really dirty
The 617 was also ported and it didnt matter what ammo I used, after a couple of cylinders of 357 the sites were gone.
Old July 24, 2009, 08:15 AM   #17
Jkwas

Quote:
The most impressive part was the little 2-finger grips. They really helped soak up recoil and make the pistol a natural pointer.
I couldn't agree more. My small frame Taurus (605) with the boot grips is the best pointing gun I have. It's also very comfortable and helps conceal the gun. I put the combat grips on but went back to the boots. Way better.
Old July 24, 2009, 04:45 PM   #18
10 Beers

Jersey huh, what exit?
Old July 25, 2009, 02:30 AM   #19
ECHOONE

I've had my Taurus 85ULB ultralite for over a yr now althought the trigger was great from the factory I had a local smith do a little trigger job on it and it couldn't be sweeter now.I find myself loving to carry it as it's like totting nothing,you forget you have a gun on you it's so light.for a snub it's very accurate,I never had a problem with it.I see people bashing Taurus all the time,maybe I just got a good one,maybe there customer service is bad and I never had to use them,I don't know,I do know My 85 is one hell of a revolver and I'd put it up against any s&w! for the price I just couldnt ask for anything better!
Old July 25, 2009, 04:24 AM   #20
dgludwig

I take it that you like your Taurus, ECHOONE!
Old July 25, 2009, 09:58 AM   #21
dpetreikis

nice to see a positive Taurus thread for a change...
Old July 26, 2009, 02:48 AM   #22
Qwiks draw

Own an older DAO 85CH made back in the 1980s. It is still going strong and giving good service.

Like the fact that the hammer is recessed enough not snag from a pocket or holster.

Many of you may be aware of this, but one can slip their thumb over the back of the hammer and use the thumb as a shroud while drawing. Keeps the hammer from catching on anything.

That or get a Taurus 650/651/850/851. LOL 650/850s have the internal hammer and the 850/650 have the a small section of hammer sticking through the shroud for single action shooting if so desired or needed.

Not much chance for that. Just that there are those who like that feature.
Old July 26, 2009, 02:22 PM   #23
Jkwas

Quote:
Jersey huh, what exit?
Believe it or not: "0" on the Garden State
Old July 27, 2009, 07:25 PM   #24
Qwiks draw

Taurus snubbies and Taurus pictures:
http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...d.php?t=369143