The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old May 10, 2002, 11:23 PM   #1
spleenandideal

I commited a Negligent Discharge tonight

I am stupid, stupid, stupid stupid, STUPID!

I was getting my gear ready to go shooting tomorrow morning. I was excited because I just got a new barrel for a shotgun. I wanted to compare it to the Remington shotgun I usually keep for self defense locked in my bedroom, so I had them both out earlier. Never did lock either up because I was going to be home anyway. Did my nightly treadmill run. Girlfriend came over at 8:00 to watch American Shooter with me.

I had ALWAYS in my years of shooting followed the commandments of safety. I ALWAYS check three times to ensure a firearm is unloaded prior to dry-firing. I ALWAYS in the past dry-fired at a safe backstop (usually in my basement). I always keep my guns locked UNLOADED in a safe, to the point where I unload my CCW and place it in the safe every night. With the exception of the 870 I keep loaded but locked upstairs. Mind you, this firearm hasn't been fired in a couple years.

My girlfriend was watching TV. Some mindless show about potential playboy bunnies. I had found the old Remington manual because I wanted to see if it could be safely dry-fired without damaging my firing-pin. I stood up and picked up the 870. I was not thinking. No, I was not under the influence of anything. I carelessly shouldered the shotgun, and without thinking pulled the trigger and put buckshot through my TV, through the wall behind it. Glass everywhere. The smoke alarms went off. Nobody thank God, got hurt. My GF is okay, surprisingly calm after all the chaos. After the initial shock and requisite clean-up, we both sat down and looked at each other. I cried like a baby. I cried so much it hurt to breathr. The thoughts of worse outcomes kept flashing through my head....I could've seriously injured or killed my best friend, I could've hurt or killed myself. I coulda damaged my home even more. Luckily the buckshot missed the piping behind the wall, but there was ricocheted glass/plastic/lead everywhere. The TV can be replaced, the plaster can be patched, but I will never again forget to triple-check.

I feel so ill to my stomach. I learned a valuable lesson tonight. I was careless for the FIRST TIME in my life with a firearm and this happened. I'm usually the person at the firing range that yells at people for doing things carelessly. I always pay attenition to the marshals at competition. I always unload my firearms and keep them out of hand when other shooters are downrange. I do not feel like shooting with my friends tomorrow. I need to go to another firearms safety course.

I hope all my fellow TFLers remind themselves rigorously about safety...sure there have been posts in the past about ND/AD and I always thought, 'well jeez, that was dumb...I'd NEVER do that."
Well, I was negligent for a nanosecond, and I did the unthinkable.
I'm sorry, just needed to get it out. Thanks for listening.
Old May 10, 2002, 11:28 PM   #2
Coronach

Lets see if I have this right. There is a show on TV involving playboy bunnies, and you're reading your shotgun manual? To say nothing of then loudly extinguishing the TV...

Issues, issues.

Mike

PS seriously- glad no one got shot.

"True pacifism is the finest form of manliness. But if a man comes up to you and cuts your hand off, you don't just offer him the other one. Not if you want to go on playing the piano, you don't." -Sam Peckinpah

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly. Specialization is for insects." -Robert Heinlein
Old May 10, 2002, 11:30 PM   #3
John/az2

Thanks for the reality check, and thank God no one but the bunnies were hurt!
Old May 10, 2002, 11:41 PM   #4
posigian

Very glad to hear no one was hurt and that just goes to show how it can happen to anyone. Your story was a big eye opener for me and its made me do an over-view of my day to day habits

Be safe and thanks for sharing,

Posigian
Old May 10, 2002, 11:53 PM   #5
Calamity Jane

Considering that it was the TV you shot, and given its mindless fare, are you sure your ND wasn't a FD (Freudian Discharge)?

Seriously, I'm glad no one was hurt. Thanks for sharing your story. You've reminded us TFLers that it can happen to anyone - an exceedingly valuable safety reminder to never relax vigilance.

Take good care,

CJ and hubby
Old May 10, 2002, 11:59 PM   #6
clem

Well, it sounds like you learned a LOT, very cheaply. Glad to hear that no one was hurt.

I just keep all my guns loaded and put away, (no little ones around), so I know ALL the guns are loaded.
Clem
USMC Retired
Old May 11, 2002, 12:06 AM   #7
psssniper

Spleen
Appreciate your sharing your story, it's not easy admitting an error, especially one like this. Thank God everyones okay.
Hopefully we ALL can learn a lesson. Take care.
Old May 11, 2002, 01:27 AM   #8
Vladimir_Berkov

Guns need to be banned! Won't someone think of the televisions? Won't someone PLEASE think of the televisions!
Old May 11, 2002, 01:39 AM   #9
Jim March

The good news is, you didn't violate that one last critical rule: never point it at a person. So this is a lesson learned, rather than lives destroyed.

Learn, but don't beat yourself up too bad .
Old May 11, 2002, 01:42 AM   #10
DLL

spleenandideal,
Thanks for sharing. Yeah, that was pretty stupid.

I'm glad everyone's okay. When I first handled a gun I was very nervous. Too nervous. I was trying too hard to be safe, if that's possible. Now I'm comfortable with guns. They are another tool. I hope I never get too comfortable. And I hope I always keep the safety rules in mind, and I hope I always respect these awsome tools. Your story reminds me of why.
Old May 11, 2002, 01:48 AM   #11
Mithirium

<incoherent sobbing>
<sniff, sniff>
Not .....
my........
sony....
flatscreen.....
<incoherent sobbing>
<sniff>

Gotta be kinda like shooting your dog by accident or something
Seriously though, Thank you for sharing. Your experience can remind us all that it only takes one mistake to ruin many lives. Be thankful you were following the muzzle control rule. Occurrences like this really get your adrenaline rushing. Really havent AD'ed before but I did fall asleep driving once and and smack a center divide at 60mph. That'll put you back into the realworld fast. Probably a similiar feeling anyway

regards,
M
Old May 11, 2002, 02:06 AM   #12
El Rojo

Spleen you discribed the sickening feeling and the feeling of complete supidity perfectly. I know because I had an AD when I was 21. I started shooting when I was six!!! How could the "gun guy" make such a stupid mistake? How could I not realize I had a round in the chamber? Mistakes happen. There are a few important things you will learn from this.

1) Humbleness!!! No longer are people who have ADs complete morons. It can happen.

2) It most likely won't happen again. You thought you checked the chamber a lot before this. Now wait and see what happens. I had my AD with my M1 Carbine. I check that thing at least 5 times now. I check my other guns too 2 or 3 times, but the M1 Carbine gets it several times.

3) New found awareness of muzzle direction. My AD went through the window in my front door, across the street, through the neighbors wall, into a dry aquarium, and stopped against a petrified rock in the dry aquarium. Neighbors? Were in the next room!!! It scares me even to this day. Where is that muzzle now? Always at the floor. I doubt you will ever point the gun at the TV again.

You have the right attitude about this AD. You are humbled and you are determined to never let it happen again. As bad as this incident is to your ego, you will eventually be glad it happened. Events like these are excellent reinforcements to the rules. I really hope no one has to go through it. If you do it and someone gets hurt, I couldn't imagine the pain and termoil you would have to face. But when that bullet stops and no one is hurt, it is seriously one of the best things that can happen to a shooter. People might not agree, but until it happens to you, you don't quite understand the feelings so well written by Spleen. It is a feeling you never, ever want to have again.
Old May 11, 2002, 02:54 AM   #13
Libertarian

Aren't rabbits out of season now?

You're lucky that no one was hurt. A cheap lesson all in all.
"Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom." JFK

My other favorite forum is The Armed Citizen

My PGP key is 0x780B7C0A
Old May 11, 2002, 05:35 AM   #14
stevetuna

Thanks for your honesty. I was just thinking yesterday that sometimes I'm a little too easy-going lately with my gun handling. Your story is a reality check for all of us, starting with me.

I'm glad noone was hurt.
Old May 11, 2002, 06:05 AM   #15
citizen

Want redemption?

Get involved; maybe learn to teach a safety course.
Fortunately, in this instance, your life goes on.....
Life is too short for dial-up
Old May 11, 2002, 06:38 AM   #16
nascarnhlnra

Well if it's gonna be a mindless tv show why not Hot Playboy bunnies...LOL.....I would go shoot with your friends and be glad nobody got hurt and the law didn't show up at your door. Consider it a lesson learned .....the hard way !
Old May 11, 2002, 06:38 AM   #17
Ed Brunner

You don't need another firearms safety course. You just had the best one there is.

UNTIL IT'S OVER!

Ed
Old May 11, 2002, 06:46 AM   #18
KSFreeman

TFL Chours, ready? "All guns are always loaded!" Even if it is kept "unloaded." Even if you are excited by bunnies. All guns are ALWAYS loaded.

Good to see even if Rule #1 was violated that you did not violate #2 and #4.

There are two kinds of people those that have had NDs and those who have not yet had one. Now that you have had one (and no one got hurt) you can teach others.
Old May 11, 2002, 11:13 AM   #19
Ledbetter

Speaking as someone who also once shot a TV

El Rojo got it right. Thank God no one was hurt. Thank God for the cardinal rule: never point a handgun at something you aren't willing to destroy (permanently).

Thank God for a cheap lesson that will stay with you forever.

Regards.
Old May 11, 2002, 11:19 AM   #20
El Rojo

I wouldn't necessarily call it a cheap lesson. It is an exepensive lesson full of serious ramifications. Could it have been worse? Of course. Had someone been hurt though, there is no way to call that expensive. Someone's life is priceless. Bringing harm to somone in an accident, cannot be compared to any monetary discriptions. Maybe it is just semantics, but I would never call this a cheap lesson, it should mean more than that. If you look at it as a cheap lesson, you are living dangerously. It needs to be a serious wake up call. A cheap lesson is where you have an accidental discharge in the middle of nowhere and the bullet harmlessly hits dirt. Shooting out your TV with 00 Buck and messing up your wall is not cheap!
Old May 11, 2002, 11:35 AM   #21
nsf003

I sometimes have to remind myself not to get too comfortable or cocky around guns. Never dad an AD and I don't want too. Thanks for the wake up call.

nsf003

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old May 11, 2002, 12:42 PM   #22
stinger

if it doesn't kill you (or anyone else) it will make you stronger. i'm glad you are okay, and i'm sure you learned something.

stinger
Old May 11, 2002, 01:08 PM   #23
nsf003

I almost had a serious accident once, I was shooting my Taurus M66 in .357 and was testing for flinch. I loaded 6 snap caps and one live round. I spun the cylinder to randomize my shots, and the cylinder stop got stuck down in its well and the cylinders were out of alignment. I pulled the trigger 8 times and wondered what happened. I open the cylinder and see firing pin marks on the sides of the snap caps and right on the edge of the primer for the live round. It was a full house .357 too. If it would have gone off, it probably would have blown up the gun. I guess it wasn't my time yet. Be careful.

nsf003

Molon Labe!
Lets Roll!
Old May 11, 2002, 03:16 PM   #24
ATTICUS

Shooters are hell on TV's aren't they!? Glad to hear your both OK.
Can we call you ELVIS now?
Old May 11, 2002, 06:27 PM   #25
adept

Spleen, glad to hear that the only injuries were to pride and TV. you will take this lesson with you everywhere, and in everything that you do. now, get yer self down to the range and toss those bits of lead where they belong, at a target.

Atticus, how's your healing going??

Adept