The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old December 25, 2002, 05:03 PM   #1
J.Bourne

Durability/Reliability Of CZ PCR COMPACT

I need feedback from owners, past or present, on the reliability and durabilty of CZ PCR Compact SAs. I own a CZ 75B, and love it, but it has all-steel construction. The PCR has an alloy frame.

I also think the finish of some of the internals of the CZ 75 could be a little more refined, but consider this purely a cosmetic issue, as it hasn't affected the reliability of the handgun. How does the PCR compare to the 75B in this respect?
Old December 25, 2002, 07:43 PM   #2
Eric Larsen

Ive had 4 steel framed CZ Compact guns...and have 2 PCR's..the alloy wont reduce the amount of abuse it will take at least in this lifetime in my opinion. Its got a thicker cross section at the frame where the slide runs...to increase strength. Ive run 1000's of rounds thru my steel guns and have that many thru my oldest PCR and its just as accurate as the day I got it...

The internals on the PCR are probably a little better than the standard CZ...most current production PCR's have some PO1 parts in them anyway.

They arent in production anymore...so you may want to find one soon..they arent non existant....yet.

Its CZ's best carry gun hand down in my opinion...alloy frame
with alot of useful options for a CCW....Same as the PO1 but without the tactical rail...no needed. Lighter than the Compact with better sights and has more options than the CZ100......

Shoot well
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2pcr\'s.jpg (172.8 KB, 1172 views)

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice......Rush
Old December 25, 2002, 08:01 PM   #3
J.Bourne

Thanks Eric. I didn't know they stopped producing PCRs. That lights a fire under me.

By the way...Very Nice Grips. Hakans I assume.
Old December 25, 2002, 10:35 PM   #4
blades67

I don't own one, but the PCR that I fired felt smoother than the CZ75B that was also there.

I hunt, therefore I am.
Old December 25, 2002, 10:53 PM   #5
Dave Cameron

Eric- Fantastic looking grips and screws on your pair. Where did you get them, the grips and screws? I love paying attention to details like that!
Old December 26, 2002, 01:19 AM   #6
SteveC

I put about 1000 rounds through my old PCR, and it was totally reliable from the first to the last. The only time it had any problems was when I put in a mainspring that was too weak, but after replacing it, no problems at all.

Steve
Old December 26, 2002, 08:47 AM   #7
Eric Larsen

Thank you...thank you very much (Elvis ) The grips are the ONLY maker on the planet...er, ok...ya planet I would have on my PCR/CZ's....Hakan is the guy (Hey Hakan ) and the screws are OEM.......thanks...
On the PCR youve gotta be careful replacing the main spring...the CZ Compact has a 19# spring...no one can tell me what the PCR's is...Wolff will send you springs what may be the correct weight..but are the wrong length...I believe do to the different hammer configuration it uses a full length spring...not sure though.....I just use the OEM main spring and tune it to where I want it....so far .....1-1 1/2 coils off of the spring seems to lighten it considerably and doesnt affect firing with Speer ammo.......
Shoot well

Old December 2, 2005, 09:34 PM   #8
Mountieguy

Have any of you heard of the CZ G-2000. It is the CZ answer to the Glock. I have been shooting one for several months and love it. One of my favorite pistols now.
Old December 3, 2005, 12:22 AM   #9
Handy

Does the PCR have the same fragile slide stop pin of the other CZ 9mm pistols?
Old December 3, 2005, 01:36 AM   #10
Striker1

Handy,

Have you had one break on you?
Old December 3, 2005, 07:17 AM   #11
Handy

Nope - never owned one. But I'm willing to take the word of the CZ rep I spoke to about the 75 stop pins being fragile. I was inquiring about the 97, which he said doesn't share the problem.
Old December 3, 2005, 09:52 AM   #12
Pilot

Eric,

When did CZ stop making the PCR? Big mistake IMHO. I love mine and would not get a P-01 for carry as I don't like the light rail. I don't understand why they just couldn't use all P-01 parts except for the frame. Weird.
Old December 3, 2005, 09:56 AM   #13
Striker1

They must have gotten the slide stop issue corrected, I like mine lots, and even if it did happen to break I would just replace it like a part on any other gun. They all break sooner or later.

What is your favorite 9mm to shoot?
Old December 3, 2005, 04:16 PM   #14
Mannlicher

I have been shooting mine for about 4 years now. I don't shoot it a lot, but I think I have put over 500 rounds though it.
Zero malfunctions. Accurate. Reliable. Fun. It has become as much a favorite 'go to' carry gun as my Browning HiPowers.
I use CZ factory 14 round mags.

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old December 4, 2005, 02:35 PM   #15
Eric Larsen

Actually they decided not to stop making them....WE raised so much hell about it, they are still in production. CZ's thinking was the PO1 was gonna be such a new improved version of it......noone would want one! Silly CZ!!!
Shoot well.

Old December 4, 2005, 03:13 PM   #16
FLJim

When is a "C" not a "CZ?"

Quote:
Mountieguy wrote:
Have any of you heard of the CZ G-2000. It is the CZ answer to the Glock. I have been shooting one for several months and love it. One of my favorite pistols now.
Except it's not really a "CZ," as most people think of CZs. Check this out: The G 2000 : Straight out of the shadows.

Disappointing. It was looking quite promising. But I have a problem with somebody trying to capitalize on somebody else's good name.
Old December 5, 2005, 04:31 AM   #17
Handy

Quote:
But I have a problem with somebody trying to capitalize on somebody else's good name.
This isn't very accurate. "CZ" is and has been used for a wide variety of arms produced by Czechs. The 1950's era CZ-52 isn't a product of this company either. Nor is the excellent CZ-99.

They aren't stealing a name as much as acknowledging their national pride in their production - as they should be. All Czech firearms products I've seen have been just excellent, no matter which company.
Old December 5, 2005, 12:36 PM   #18
Jiml3

I don't know when the PCR first went on sale in the U.S., but when it did, I bought one and have had ghreat success with it! It has been totally reliable and I trust my life with it. I love the decocker feature. I prefer it to the other CZ compact models including the new P01. I don't like the accessory rail on a carry gun.

Jiml3
Old December 5, 2005, 12:57 PM   #19
chris in va

Tell you what, I was very seriously about to get a PCR to replace my 75BD as a CCW until I discovered a (barely) used Sig P220 for the same price.