The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old November 8, 2004, 03:52 PM   #1
DoItRight

What is UP with this hobby????

In another thread, Blade 76 wrote:
Quote:
Welcome to the Forums, keep practicing and start saving now for that next gun! Remember, there will always be "the next gun" from this point forward.
To the Group -

I have to laugh at the quote above because it's true!!! I've only had my guns for less than a month and while I love both of them so far, a part of my mind is going, "Hmmmmm ... a 1911 sure would be nice one of these days. Do I want a .45 or should I stay with my .22's and buy the Kimber?" You guys warned me that this would become addictive and you're right!

I do have to say however, that this is a great forum and it has been very helpful to me as I learn more and more. From reading a lot of the old posts, I can see that TFL "went away" for a while before it was resurrected.

To all the moderators (in case anyone hasn't said so lately) take it from this newbie that this forum is definitely making a difference. It's an excellent and helpful resource and you guys and your hard work are much appreciated!

- DIR
Old November 8, 2004, 04:26 PM   #2
gudel

I started with one, ended up with 16 a year later.
Old November 8, 2004, 05:11 PM   #3
David1958

What's Up With This Hobby?

I had a S&W M36 as my only gun for 15 years. It had the same Federal Hydrashoks in it for that long, too. Cleaned it occasionally, but never fired it.
Started reading this and other forums, realized those Hydrashocks were +p's
and were not good for that gun. Bought a gun that would handle them. That's the way to do it ,eh? Now I have 10 handguns. Be afraid......be very afraid!
Old November 8, 2004, 05:54 PM   #4
WillBrayjr

The personal defense HydraShocks maybe +P but the standard HydraShocks that come in the cardboard boxes aren't +P.
Old November 9, 2004, 09:21 AM   #5
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

willjr,

Quote:
The personal defense HydraShocks maybe +P but the standard HydraShocks that come in the cardboard boxes aren't +P.
Federal does indeed, and has in the past, loaded +P .38 Spl HydraShoks. FWIW, I'm looking at a revolver right now that is loaded with 147gr .38 Spl +P+ HydraShoks.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled thread...
Old November 9, 2004, 09:47 AM   #6
XavierBreath

A couple of months ago I picked up some beautiful Sambar Stag grips for a 1911. It was just to good to pass up, and I like the grips on all my pistols now....so I'm still looking for another 1911 worthy of these grips......Explain that one to the wifemate!

Is it me, or is this hobby crazy?
Old November 9, 2004, 10:27 AM   #7
Brian41

this hobby...crazy??

well, its not to me, but the majority of the other students at the liberal arts college i attend seem to think i'm some sort of whaco if they notice that i'm viewing any web site that has a picture of a fire arm of any sort on it. I'm sure they'd realy crap a brick if they new that any time they saw me off campus i have a gun on me.... or perhaps it makes me crazy that on a college student's budget the largest portion of my income, second to rent of course, is spent on ammunition, range time, and saving for another gun.

ooh well, they can think i'm crazy
Old November 9, 2004, 11:38 AM   #8
xrageofangelsx

Brian41,

The same thing with me but replace liberal arts college with private Christian university.
Old November 9, 2004, 01:06 PM   #9
Any .45

Brian and Rage,

Ditto, accept I'm at a technical Institute, and it's my co-workers as well as some of my class mates that say I'm nuts, except for the one's that go to the range with me. Inclusively this hobby is so crazy that for my graduation from my AS, I told my family to buy bullets for me because any extra money I get, I'll spend it on bullets anyway, and I gave my self a CZ P-01 as a gift, range time isn't expensive at the range were I shoot Initial payment is $7 for the range and $5 for the range membership ID and Safety course, add $8 if you don't have eye protection and $2 if you need ear protection. Range time is unlimited so $7 dollars buys you as much time as you need to shoot what ever ammo you brought with you. So if the day is nice and I wake up early on a Sat. or Sun. I'll spend all day there.
Illuminate the path
According to your inner light"

"Spring forth from the Great Earth;
Billow like Great Waves;
Stand like a tree, sit like a rock;
Use One to strike All.
Learn and forget! "

"At the instant
A warrior
Confronts a foe,
All things
Come into focus"

Morihei Ueshiba (1883-1969)
Founder of Aikido
Old November 9, 2004, 01:23 PM   #10
mtnbkr

There's something about hobbies centered around expensive gadgets. Knives are just as bad. As soon as you find "the one", you start looking at others. For years, I carried the same Swiss Army Knife. After losing it on a hunting trip, I started researching other types of knives (got tired of the SAK). That lead me to the black G10/stainless steel camp and from there I got into customs and other high end knives. I'm mostly reformed now that I have a Sebenza, but I still have a display of custom and semicustom knives on the book shelf in my room.

Guns haven't been any better for me. After getting my first gun, I've been buying an average of 2 a year since.

Chris
Old November 9, 2004, 01:29 PM   #11
2002gti

i just got started on the c&r phase of my hobbie. since i got my lic 4 months ago ive bought:
1) russian 91/30
2) russian m38
3) russian m44
4) yugo m48 mauser
5) swedish m96 mauser
6) swiss k-31
7) romanian m44
Old November 9, 2004, 02:05 PM   #12
claude783

I have determined that this hobby is a disease...also, did you know that guns, stored in a locked, dark, container tend to multiply!

Wify poo will see me looking at the "new" discovery in my iron box and say, "I don't remember seeing that gun?". Of course, I mention, "This ol' thing, why, I've had this for years, just thought I would clean it and tuck it back."

Well, I have two iron boxes, one for "guns" and a second for "ammo".

Shortly, I think my "gun box" is getting to full, might have to break down and purchase another gun safe...you know, for those important papers we all have to keep..tax, pay stubs, etc...of course it could "hold" a few more "toys".
Old November 9, 2004, 06:40 PM   #13
IZinterrogator

Brian, Rage, and Any .45,

The sad thing is that some of my coworkers give me the same strange look when I mention that I have six guns, and I'm in the Army!
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old November 10, 2004, 01:41 AM   #14
faustulus

I would say 'welcome to the 12 step program' but who am I kidding, posting here is just going to make you want more.
Remember you aren't really hard core until you have bought the same gun (or type of gun) twice after saying you would never ever own one again.

ultima ratio regum
quis custodiet ipsos custodes?
neca eos omnes. Deus suos agnoscet
Old November 10, 2004, 03:40 AM   #15
Tallbill

Currently sitting on zero owned firearms, but have had a m4, m9, and m249 issued to me over the last few months during my Army deployment. I definitly plan on starting strong with a gun collection when I return home. I'll probably at least start with a handgun, a rifle, and a shotgun, get a safe, and start loading up.
Old November 10, 2004, 08:05 AM   #16
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
A couple of months ago I picked up some beautiful Sambar Stag grips for a 1911. It was just to good to pass up, and I like the grips on all my pistols now....so I'm still looking for another 1911 worthy of these grips...
Oh, yeah, when you find yourself buying a handgun because you have grips or a holster that will fit it, you know you're pretty addicted. Another sign is when you tell a fellow gun nut excitedly about your new purchase and they reply with "What's that?"
Old November 10, 2004, 02:59 PM   #17
ulmer

I well understand this scenario. I have done the liberal arrts and the knife thing too. I had a .30-30 Winchester Model 96 since 1983, and shot it 15 times, then in 1995 I bought a Colt Commander .45. Now I have nine handguns and soon as I get one I plan for the next. I shoot weekly. I have concealed carry and if I cannot take the gun I don't go. I sit facing a door or window in restaurants. Rehab is what I need.
Old November 10, 2004, 03:02 PM   #18
Johnny Guest
Moderator in Memoriam

Can we term this something like, "Reverse Acquisition Syndrome?"

I got a great bargain for a set of bram-new-inna-box RCBS dies in .375 H&H Mag. It took me over two years to find just the right rifle to go with them.

A gun writer pal made me a gift of an old two-loop Mexican style holster that once belonged to Skeeter Skelton. I'm looking for a Ruger Old Army revolver as an accessory for the holster.

Best,
Johnny
Old November 10, 2004, 07:31 PM   #19
Jbar4Ranch

I lost count twenty years ago.

SASS 47015
Old November 10, 2004, 09:47 PM   #20
Hans

I completely agree with the fact that this is the most fun, most ADDICTING habit that I have ever found. I purchased 3 handguns in the last 6 mos., and now with my B-day coming on Friday, will be getting my 4th (my own present to myself, a Walther P22 for plinking). I also see myself buying a 1911, Beretta 92/96, a .357, plus many others down the road (hopefully not too far!).
Without the 2nd Amendment, none of the others would exist.
Old November 10, 2004, 11:22 PM   #21
larryf1952

I bought my 1st handgun in 1973, 2 months after I got married...no connection there, I swear it, and I still have the same wife, and she's still alive! I slowly added a few others, and my collection grew to about 6 guns by the time I moved to Houston, gunshow capital of the universe, in 1989. I don't live in Houston anymore, but now, I have 30+ handguns in my safe. I've sold a few. Funny thing is, with every new gun I bought, I couldn't possibly see why I'd ever need to buy another one.
Old November 11, 2004, 07:11 AM   #22
2002gti

whenever i buy a new one i already have another im eyeballing to pick up. take now for instance. i have 3 rifles on the way and im looking at another.
no resting in california, time is of the essence.................................
Old November 11, 2004, 11:38 AM   #23
FirstFreedom

Quote:
"I don't remember seeing that gun?". Of course, I mention, "This ol' thing, why, I've had this for years, just thought I would clean it and tuck it back."
Quote:
Oh, yeah, when you find yourself buying a handgun because you have grips or a holster that will fit it, you know you're pretty addicted
Ha-ha!

You guys that are in college and have more than one handgun, I'm frightened for you, because when I was in college, I was on such a tight budget that I could only afford a Win 1300 12 gauge and a Ruger 10/22 - then when I was in law school, I added one handgun (Glock 21) and a MAK90. Once you get out and start earning money, it's very hard to not spend too much on guns & accessories - 'specially if you're single like me.
Old November 11, 2004, 11:58 AM   #24
Brian41

yeah, too bad i cant get scholarship money to buy guns... instead i skimp back on the groceries, and walk the mile and a half or so to school, all in effort to save extra money for ammo and the next gun to be added to the collection......its ok, i like spagetti-O's and walking to school is good exercise.
Old November 11, 2004, 12:42 PM   #25
LeadPumper

It only gets worse...

I once marveled at how people could even buy a case of ammo. (I was young, ok?)

Now I order cases of ammo on-line. I've even had to borrow a handtruck once or twice just to get ammo out the door at a gun show. (really, it was only once or twice...)

Bought a gun because I had a holster I needed to fill- Guilty as charged.

Lets not talk about FA either, the ammo bill alone is staggering.

C&R? Nope, don't go there. I just ran out of room in my rifle safes and have been eyeing the wife's walk-in shoe closet (c'ummon honey, do you really need all those shoes?)

Heck, next thing ya know, I'll be posting on some darn gun-related web-boards while I'm supposed to be working.

Addictive? Nah! I can quit amytime. (Not that I'd want too, mind you)

-LeadPumper

THR
C&R FFL
NRA Patron Life Member
NRA Pistol Instructor
NRA Rifle Instructor
NRA Personal Protection Instructor
RSO