The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old October 29, 2000, 05:02 PM   #1
Correia

www.tromix.com

Looks to be pretty interesting stuff. Thought this might be up some of you guys' alley.

And a .50 BMG rifle that is meant to be shot standing up. Cool..
Old October 29, 2000, 05:09 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Yes, yes, yes.
I saw them and talked to the devoloper and owner of the company in Tulsa at the show and fell in love with the .44 version. Personally I am not an AR fan but love anything .44 magnum.
The man was very personable and knowledgable. The guns looked well made and slick. He had targets suppposedly shot with different variations with surprisingly good results. The big .50AE was mounted on a classIII, select fire lower. He had photos with four pieces of brass in the air.
Now I just have to figure out how to pony up the bucks ($860) for the .44 mag. upper.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old October 30, 2000, 10:26 AM   #3
Tony Rumore

"Supposedly Shot"........come on, now......

I know of dirt bags that might lie about a target, but I don't pull that crap. I also have customer targets with groups as small as 1.5" at 100 yards with the 50AE version.

If you don't believe me, you'll see the Tromix uppers in action on the pages of Gun World magazine shortly.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
Old October 30, 2000, 10:29 AM   #4
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Interesting .50BMG rifle.
Wish there was more information on it.
Old October 30, 2000, 10:37 AM   #5
Shin-Tao

That 44 version would be an ideal companion to a 44 wheelgun. Or a DesertEagle.

And that .50AE...If you ever have to fight a cyclops or ogre...

I really like the .50BMG. Something like that should have been made a long time ago.
Old October 30, 2000, 10:54 AM   #6
Gunslinger

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Tony Rumore:
"Supposedly Shot"........come on, now......
Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
[/quote]

Welcome to TFL Tony. I was hoping you would make it over here. No offense intended at all. Just my "standard" little disclaimer since I was not there when you shot it but that does not mean that I doubt it for a second. In fact if you will read the rest of my post you will see that I was highly impressed and endorce the weapons. Endorce 'em Hell, I been dreamin' about one ever since meeting you and seeing them in Tulsa.
In fact I was just on another site asking for the best prices for lowers to mate to one of your .44 magnum uppers.

------------------
Gunslinger

I was promised a Shortycicle and I want a Shortycicle!
Old October 30, 2000, 10:58 AM   #7
Tony Rumore

We're working on a second version of the 50BMG Laws Rocket gun now and I am hoping to have it done shortly. The first gun was hand built and is pretty rough, but the #2 gun is being done on CNC machines and should be able to be produced in quantity much easier. Rather than using the barrel as the "frame" of the gun, the #2 version has the barrel suspended in a rectangular tube. We are also moving the sights to the side of the receiver, instead of the top, to make the gun more comfortable to shoot. The first prototype is kind of unwieldy and it really knocks the crap out of you when shooting.....but it is certainly invigorating to say the least.

Old October 30, 2000, 11:12 AM   #8
Shin-Tao

Why no muzzle break?
Old October 30, 2000, 11:22 AM   #9
Tony Rumore

I would sure like to give you a great reason for no muzzle brake, but the truth is, my Lathe at the shop is not big enough to cut threads on the muzzle. The barrel is 2.5" in diameter so you need a Lathe with a 3" through hole in the center. I'll have to farm out this work, or buy another Lathe.

If you have ever priced out Lathes, especially big ones, you'll know why I don't have one.
Old October 30, 2000, 11:28 AM   #10
Shin-Tao

Yeah, lathes cost a fortune.

Would it make sence to drill a series of angled ports down each side of the muzzle to give some gas deflection, then weld a row of baffles over the ports?
Old October 30, 2000, 11:41 AM   #11
Tony Rumore

I could Tig Weld on a brake of some sort, but my CNC programmer guy is setting up the programs to run the #2 gun on the big equipment anyway, so only the receivers and smaller parts will be built on the Tromix tooling. It is much easier to align the muzzle brake with the center of the bore when it is threaded on, rather than welding.
Old October 30, 2000, 12:42 PM   #12
Shin-Tao

I concur.

Anythoughts on a future design utilizing a recoil dampening system?
Barrel and action cycle back on spring wrapped rails maybe? Like a pair of giant 1911 guide rods?

Old October 30, 2000, 01:20 PM   #13
Tony Rumore

A recoiling upper assembly was previously considered, but the goal was to produce a simple 50BMG Plinking rifle that would retail under $1,000 so the extra goodies were left off. You would need to have the sighting system attached to the lower rail also, or you would end up with the sights being driven into your skull. That already happened once with the current setup, and luckily I was not to seriously injured, but the back flange plate took a deep gouge out of my shoulder....I have a permanent scar from that unfortunate little incident.......

It takes quite a bit of concentration to maintain sight alignment as you squeeze off a round, knowing damn well that the barrel is going skyward nearly vertical and you have to take several steps backward to regain control of the weapon. In the hands of a large and determined man, the gun is quite effective.

Old October 31, 2000, 08:47 AM   #14
FWRA

Hi Gang,
I've had a Tromix Sledgehammer .50AE Enforcer Carbine now for about 6 mos, and I can shoot one BIG ragged hole all day long with A2 iron sights at the local 25 meter indoor range. With my Redfield 1-4 It does sub 2" groups at 100yds.

Mines going deer hunting at the end of November in WV. At ranges out to 150yds this one will do its job on deer. At ranges of 50-100yds it should stop any North American game.

The quality on these conversions is superb and Tony Rumore is truly an "artist in steel". Over 1,000 rds to date with no malfunctions.

Anybody want further info on these fine conversions, feel free to e-mail me. I've sold about 8 of these now and keep getting rave reviews on accuracy and quality.
Absolutely amazing big bore conversions. Hand lapped barrels and actions (special proprietary twist that no one else uses) assures accuracy. Recoil? Well, these are NOT for the recoil sensitive. ;-) About 100 rds at a range session, and I'm done for the day!

Problems? One major one. When you shoot the .50AE Sledgehammer, all activity stops, everybody watches and then the inevitible..."Can I try that?"

I can never say no.....

Warm regards,
Mark Powell
Free World's Right Arm
Sales & Supplies
Cuyahoga Falls,OH
PS: Here is an e-mail I just received from a customer who just took delivery on a Tromix .50AE Sledgehammer Enforcer last week. Real hard for him to contain his excitement. :-)

Tony and Mark,

I am grinning from ear to ear! I don't know where to start.

This is the best built, best looking upper I own, and that is saying
something because I have several. I got to shoot the upper today. It
functioned flawlessly! :-) First shot down the tube was in the X
ring at 25 yards. 2nd and 3rd rounds overlapped by 1/2 but low and to the left.
That lets me know I will have to hunt with it "dirty". Not a problem, you just have to know such things. I always hunt with "dirty" bores anyway.

After adjusting the sights back up and to the right I immediately shot a pretty
clover leaf. :-) I was really anxious about the recoil but it was not as bad
as I had expected. After 20 rounds or so I had modified my opinion somewhat. I then moved out to 50 yards and the groups opened up to about 2" but I blame it on my poor shooting with open sights. I was using a Colt
carry handle for a rear sight. I had so much fun I never even got out my .308 to sight it in. This may be my only deer gun this season!

I plan to go out next weekend for a final sight in at 100 yards and to notate the bullet placement at the closer ranges.

This is exactly what I have been looking for in an AR platform for a long time. The Tromix .50AE Sledgehammer rocks!

Thanks for the great product,

-=Bob

[This message has been edited by FWRA (edited October 31, 2000).]
Old November 1, 2000, 05:32 AM   #15
Maddock

Welcome to TFL, Mark.
Old November 1, 2000, 10:20 AM   #16
Shin-Tao

In refferance to the .44mag variant:

$crew the Deerfield and its' lame 4rnd mag!
Old November 2, 2000, 02:13 AM   #17
FWRA

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Maddock:
Welcome to TFL, Mark.[/quote]

Thanks Maddock. Good to be here! I found this on a search engine.

And I thought I had all gun related forums bookmarked! :-)

Mark
Old November 2, 2000, 02:25 AM   #18
FWRA

I have a SUPER CUSTOM Tromix Sledgehammer on the way to me now. It's a 440 Cor Bon Sledgehammer and you guys will never believe how cool this one is.

I'll post pictures when it comes in early next week. This one, like the .50AE's, uses standard USGI 30rd mags with a special s/s follower and Polypropelene spacer. No proprietary $80 mags here! With Tromix mag kits ($15) you can make as many as you have mags for and swap from .223 to .50AE/440 CorBon and back in minutes.

That Tony Rumore is one fine custom gun builder. His guns and conversions are a work of art!

Oh, and no poopy 4 rd mag here! This one will shoot one ragged hole too. (unlike Bill Rugers new little pipsqueek,4 rd .44 mag semi-auto carbine) ;-) Just remember, these Sledgehammers do have recoil issues. That's one of the reasons they are so darn fun!

Warm regards,
Mark Powell
FWRA
Old November 2, 2000, 09:11 PM   #19
mussi

Any chances this stuff can be had belt-fed, with a vehicle mount or a
tripod so I can fire it from my balcony?

I need a new pigeon gun, sort of.
Old November 2, 2000, 11:14 PM   #20
Correia

mussi, what the hell kind of pigeons do you guys have over there?!

I think that the .44 or .50 would be just the ticket for a brush gun for deer.

Also, didn't Cooper talk about how the ideal military carbine type rifle would be a good semi-auto .44. He called it Thumper or some-such.
Old November 3, 2000, 11:31 PM   #21
Juan Hunt Greer

If Tony Rumore is here still or again, I was wondering if he will be willing to sell uppers only of the sledgehammer pistol for those of us who may have a legal pistol lower floating around? The thought of this intrigues me!
crankshaft
paranoia is what keeps me checking my six when they MAY not be following me today!