The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old February 26, 2005, 08:38 AM   #1
Etraveller

Advice and dangers of shooting .380 auto ammo in a Mod 10-5 S&W .38 special

Hello everyone.

I need to attempt to discharge some .380 auto cartridges in a S&W Mod 10-5 .38 special.
Initially when chambering the round, the rim is not large enough to hold the cartridge in place, therefore i need to tilt the firearm upwards so that it (falls back on to the breechface).

Secondly, I haven't been brave (or daring) enough to attempt to discharge a full cartridge, so I removed the bullet and powder, leaving only the primer intact.
I then attempted to discharge, but there wasn't enough weight on the cartridge (not to mention no rim to hold the cartridge in place), so the firing pin would send the case further up into the chamber.
I was finally able to half cock the trigger, and take a thin piece of metal to hold the cartridge against the breech and succesfully discharged the primer.

I'm considering now shooting a .380 auto to observe the effects, but have some concerns, namely:

(a) the closed rimmed area in the forward part of the cylinder, (the bullet may hit this deforming/possibly causing damage/injury.

(b) the case may split, causing gas to leak at the rear/ side of the chamber and the firearm.

(c) the bullet may bounce around somewhat in the barrel.

Anyone who ever shot one (I don't have an adapter to allow accomodation of the .380 auto) could give some advice/recommendations concerning

(1) Dangers/recommendations in shooting a cartridge

(2) what device they use as an adapter

(3) Have they actually ever fired one.

I know the .38 special cartridge is much longer, therefore the bullet can 'pass' the rimmed area forward of the chamber, and not strike it, also, the cartridge is a close fit in the walls of the chamber, so splititng is much less likely.

Thanks.

Last edited by Etraveller; February 26, 2005 at 08:49 AM. Reason: error
Old February 26, 2005, 09:00 AM   #2
knzn

The only thing coming to my mind right now is "Darwin Awards."

Last edited by knzn; February 26, 2005 at 09:32 AM.
Old February 26, 2005, 09:23 AM   #3
Tamara
Moderator Emeritus

Just don't do it.

There's nothing for the case to headspace on, a good chance of a faceful of gas, the bullet could smack the chamber throat or forcing cone... There's just nothing good that could come of it, and plenty of bad.
Old February 26, 2005, 09:41 AM   #4
paul45

I usually browse at glocktalk or the 1911 forum,but your post prompted me to register here. If you are serious about doing what your post says....please...do all of us legitimate gun owners who are responsible and safety concerned a favor, would you? Immediately give your weapons to a responsible person for safe keeping, join the NRA, and as quickly as possible take a firearms safety course. Your wishing to do this is extemely hazardous to your safety and others who might be around you.If you disagree with my reply, you should consider not owning any firearms. I hope I am not insulting you, but your thought process in this matter is extemely flawed, full of danger, and I must say....profoundly foolish. I wish you luck......
Old February 26, 2005, 09:42 AM   #5
ISP2605

Some people just aren't smart enough to be allowed to own a firearm.
Don't tell anyone you're doing this. It gives gun owners a bad name.
Old February 26, 2005, 09:51 AM   #6
Russ5924

What would the reasoning be to do this. WHY???????????
Old February 26, 2005, 10:01 AM   #7
cortez kid

I think You really NEED to evaluate your actions. There are a lot of dead people and even worse, crippled and mamed, a burdon on your family and society. For what? Judging from the reaction you are getting now, I'd think of something else to do with your time. Try baseball. Guns is funs, but serious fun for those who can be serious. Proper ammo for a proper firearm.
kid
Old February 26, 2005, 10:45 AM   #8
Charley

Quote:
I need to attempt to discharge some .380 auto cartridges in a S&W Mod 10-5 .38 special.
Okay, I'll bite.
You need...to attempt this?
Please explain the need. Dying of curiousity.
Old February 26, 2005, 11:18 AM   #9
WillBrayjr

I don't think there would be a problem as long as you had a moon clip. I wouldn't try it without a moon clip!
Old February 26, 2005, 11:22 AM   #10
lee n. field

Don't do it.

If you need to get rid of ammo, throw it out or give it to someone with a .380. If you need to shoot this gun, get some .38 Special ammo. It's not expensive.

Quote:
I know the .38 special cartridge is much longer, therefore the bullet can 'pass' the rimmed area forward of the chamber, and not strike it
What rimmed area forward of the chamber? I'm having difficulty picturing what you're seeing.
Old February 26, 2005, 12:35 PM   #11
Mannlicher

advice: its just plain stupid. This has GOT to be a joke post. No one is that dumb.
dangers: personal injury or death

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old February 26, 2005, 01:24 PM   #12
michael t

You can't be serious and what is the need to do this. Please do us all a favor give the 380 rounds to someone with a 380 and sell the 38 . Now go buy a water pistol and shoot it less danger to you and people around you.
Old February 26, 2005, 03:12 PM   #13
Vanguard.45

One Word- YOUAREASTUPIDIDIOT!

At least I think that is one word.

What the hell??

Vanguard.45