The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old January 27, 2006, 02:05 PM   #1
waltherking

melting lead

Just how much lead will I be exposed to during normal lead melting and bullet casting?
Old January 27, 2006, 02:12 PM   #2
Ruger4570

As you already know lead is not good to inhale or ingest. Do your casting outside or in a room with a lot of forced ventilation to the outside along with a different source of incoming fresh air. I wear gloves when I cast mostly to eliminate any chance of a burn, but it also serves to reduce the amount of lead I touch. Always wash your hands well after casting and avoid smoking or eating anything till you have washed up. In fact, you should wash your hands anytime you touch lead. With simple safety procedures, casting is a safe hobby.
Old January 27, 2006, 03:09 PM   #3
Pampers

Do what your Momma said!

Don't overheat the Lead and cause it to "boil off" excess vapors.

That said, almost all lead poisoning comes from ingesting the Lead. You do that by handling the stuff and sticking your dirty fingers into your mouth!

Therefore, Do what your Momma told you to do! KEEP YOUR FINGERS OUT OF YOUR MOUTH, AND WASH YOUR HANDS FREQUENTLY!
NRA Golden Eagle
Old January 27, 2006, 03:47 PM   #4
Leftoverdj

Lead poisoning is all but unheard of among hobbyist casters. The reported cases have almost all been people casting as a business. Their exposure time is much longer. With minimal commonsense precautions, a hobbyist casting 10-15 hours a month is not at risk.

There is one serious concern, though. Fertile women and very young children can tolerate only about a tenth the lead exposure that adult males can. Very low levels can cause birth defects and brain damage. Keep your casting and your alloying away from women who might get pregnant and children under six.
Old January 27, 2006, 07:28 PM   #5
joecad

if you have a room that will

if you have a room that will serve as your reloading area....or the basement you can get some soft flex furnace duct and hook it to a dryer vent. the other end of mine has a furnace register box with a bathroom exhaust fan. works well...especially in the winter when its hard to do it outside. it has kept me out of the winter elements so far.
just my $0.02 worth.
Old January 28, 2006, 12:13 AM   #6
HSMITH

You absolutely MUST keep the molten lead under 1100*. There is no need at all to get it over 900* for any purpose, so make that your absolute upper limit. If it gets over that shut off the heat and leave until it is cooled. Once you get it too hot it releases vapors at a much higher rate.

Cast outside or in a very well ventilated area, keep temps under control too and there is no worry. Screw it up and it can bite you pretty quickly.
Old January 28, 2006, 12:18 AM   #7
klw

Actually I have a slight case of lead posioning from casting bullets but I cast a lot. Good news is that this never was above the point where medically it was considered to be a problem and it does slowly go away with time if your exposure to lead is reduced. Still I would recommend a lead blood test for anyone who casts a lot.
Old January 28, 2006, 05:01 AM   #8
Lloyd Smale

ive been treated twice for it. Be careful dont run your lead to hot. Its more of a problem smelting ww then it is actually casting. My biggest problem was smoking while casting and housekeeping. You will transfer most of the lead into your body through your mouth then any other way. Indoor shooting is another good way to get it. Theres probably more people that get it that way then casting. Make sure you shoot at a ventilated range.
Old January 28, 2006, 10:58 AM   #9
brickeyee

Casting works best below about 750F. ABove this range the tin seperates out.
Do not use a flame to try and speed up melting. This produces lead vapor.
The vapor pressure of lead at typical casting temperatures around 700F is very low and not a major hazard.
Old January 30, 2006, 02:29 PM   #10
ripsaw

Casting

This website is one of many that has info on casting. Common sense is the biggest safety factor. Read the posts. My cast bullets are as accurate as the ones from the commercial folks. Even the "Less than Perfect" ones. Less electricity costs (minimal) and sweat equity (I enjoy casting) lead (I know a guy in the wheel weight business) I shoot my .38 wheelgun for about 3 cents a shot, .45 about the same, rifle a bit more because of gaschecks

http://www.leeprecision.com/

Ripsaw
Old February 4, 2006, 10:06 PM   #11
Jim Thompson

Casting lead

I've been doing it for years. I've even experimented with heat treating bullets from lead that's not hard enough. I think it's fairly safe if you take a few precautions. I use a big fan blowing across my reloading table with plenty of ventilation. I also wear a long sleeve shirt, gloves and painters mask. One of the best products out there is a white powder used to flux called marvelux from Brownells. It really cuts down on smoke, fire that usually occurs when fluxing. It really helps to mix the lead and tin or lynotype metal. You can buy a big can for not much more than the smaller can. I lasts a long time and always works well. It doesn't stink up your garage like candle wax and the like. Caution - Wear safety glasses and leather leather shoes when casting. If you pour bullets, get a good melt pot. None let the temperature get so hot that it becomes a health problem. Pour around 600 to 700 degrees. You will need to adjust depending on your pour rate. Never eat or drink unless you wash your hands. All heavy metals are toxic. Using common sense will make it safe for you.
Old February 6, 2006, 10:33 AM   #12
Bobshouse

I've cast my own bullets for the past 10 years, Im still lead free. I cast outside on the rear patio, gives me the room to water quench my bullets and dry them as I continue casting. Another advantage, is when you flux, you usually get a giant flame out of the pot..being outside will prevent alterations to your home from fire.

Bob