The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 2, 2006, 12:50 PM   #1
Monkey

Small Primer .45 ACP???

Howdy all,

I've been reloading for only about 1 week now (I'm hooked!) I'm already saving about $.03/round in .45 ACP over WWB at Wallyworld. I hope to get that savings to grow by buying components in bulk.

Here's the deal: I've been saving brass (mine and range pick-ups) for several years, knowing that I would be reloading someday. Upon sorting them for headstamp I discovered that some have a small primer. They are all headstamped "WIN NT 45 AUTO".

Is this something that you guys deal with on a regular basis? Are they worth reloading?

I have a Dillon RL 550B. So far I'm setup only for .45 ACP. In the future, I'll also be loading .44 mag, .303 British, .32 ACP, and who knows what else.

Any comments on the above would be much appreciated.
Old February 2, 2006, 01:18 PM   #2
T- Bone

There are some people on here who say they've reloaded it, but I think winchester doesn't recommend it. I don't know why, though.
Old February 2, 2006, 03:24 PM   #3
azredhawk44

Monkey - are they small rifle primer holes?

I am asking purely out of selfish interest. I shoot .400corbon out of my glock21 and those cartridges use a small rifle primer rather than the typical large pistol primer.

(400corbon is a 45acp necked to .40 diameter)

If you don't want to deal with them, PM me. I will pay you for shipping and a reasonable price for range brass if they are indeed small rifle primed .45acp that I can re-size to .400corbon. Let me know how much you have.
Old February 2, 2006, 04:00 PM   #4
Monkey

azredhawk44,

I believe they are small pistol, but I don't know how to tell the difference between small pistol and small rifle.

At this point, I only have about twenty of them, so it wouldn't be worth the shipping. I was asking about this more out of curiosity than anything else. Just wondering if it is worth saving the brass, or pitching it in the scrap bin.
Old February 2, 2006, 04:37 PM   #5
JDG

Woops!
Old February 2, 2006, 04:39 PM   #6
JDG

I've loaded this brass with standard small pistol primers, no differance in accuracy. If you dont mind seperating your brass, shoot em. Most people with progressive presses, dont want them, too big a chance to smash a LPP in a SPP hole. I did notice a little softer recoil do to the energy loss of a small primer. I wish I knew what powder Winn uses in these cases, because they look new after fireing. JDGray
Old February 2, 2006, 04:48 PM   #7
RERICK

Though I don't load 45 caliber (yet) I do load 40 caliber and have run accross the type of brass that has the NT stamp on it in and hve loaded it many times and I haven't had a problem.I could be wrong as i am only guessing here but I think its a non toxic lead free type of ammo that these were originally.As the range that my brass came from is all that is allowed.

I just checked and its like I said Its that new fangled stuff.Super clean and non toxic.
Just type NT AMMO on your google and see for yourself
Old February 2, 2006, 04:49 PM   #8
Russ5924

I just throw them away but never had found a lot just don't need them mixed in with my other .45 acp.
Old February 2, 2006, 05:59 PM   #9
Wrangler5

I believe the boxes for the NT rounds are marked "Win Clean" or some such. Supposedly produce less smoke and leaves less residue in the gun and barrel - a friend of mine swears his rifle needs no cleanup at all if he only shoots WinClean ammo.

That said, the rounds use a different powder (naturally) and I believe they need a larger primer hole to get that powder to burn properly - take a look inside your cases and see if there isn't a difference in the size of the holes from the primer pocket into the cartridge. They probably use a non-standard primer mixture, and if so you won't be able to buy them in bulk. I believe I've read that the larger primer hole changes the way a regular primer sets off regular powder, although it may or may not make a significant difference in the ballistic performance in your particular loads in your guns.

The same situation exists with 9mm, which I reload. Since I use a progressive press, I just buy non-Winchester brass. If I pick up brass at the range, I leave the Win behind, as it's quicker than studying the headstamp for NT or not, and there's enough other brass to go for. If I get a box of WinClean at WallyWorld on occasion, I just leave the cases at the range.
Old February 2, 2006, 07:31 PM   #10
brickeyee

Winclean uses a lead free primer.
Old February 2, 2006, 08:45 PM   #11
skeet47

45 small primer

The 45 NT is the Win-clean.Winchester never did any testing as far as reloading so they advised against it for legal reasons.I have loaded many of these in both lead and jacketed.If you use a small pistol magnum primer and a fast powder(Titegroup or 231) they perform perfectly.The brass seems sturdy and there really is no good reason no to use them.
Old February 3, 2006, 10:19 AM   #12
Rivers

Small rifle primers and small pistol primers are interchangeable, size-wize. There is no difference in the primer pockets.
Old February 3, 2006, 11:10 AM   #13
tjhands

I usually notice them when I'm priming cases. I squeeze and squeeze.....what the hell?.......ahh, another one of those cases. The next sound is it hitting the bottom of the trash can.
Old February 3, 2006, 11:59 AM   #14
Monkey

Compared to both modern R P and WWII vintage R A brass, I can't tell a difference in the flash holes.