The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old February 9, 2006, 11:06 AM   #1
Andy1985

Slugs out of a modified choke?

I recently bought my first shotgun, Remington 870 mag exp all synthetic. I love it needless to say. I was wondering about shooting slugs out of the modified choke that came with the gun. Being new to shotgun ownership (i've been shooting since my days in Boyscouts) i wanna make sure i don't blow the barrel by shooting a slug through a choke too small. Can anyone help me out?
Old February 9, 2006, 02:14 PM   #2
GlocksRfun

I replyed my stupid experience on the other thread that asks the same thing. It was quit a stupid response I gave, so I'm not gonna write it here also.
Old February 9, 2006, 02:33 PM   #3
cmreinke

According to this thread, there shouldn't be any safety problems: http://www.thefiringline.com/forums/...ght=choke+slug.

However, the accuracy may not be quite as good as if you were shooting slugs through a cylinder barrel (no choke).

-Charles
Old February 9, 2006, 05:08 PM   #4
FirstFreedom

alright, thanks.
Old February 10, 2006, 08:54 AM   #5
foghornl

You want the no-sabot slugs {AKA Forster} for that barrel. Modified choke is OK for slugs, although rifled slug accuracy will probably*** be better with a no-choke [cylinder-bore] or a small amount of choke..Improved Cylinder as the maximum choke.

For the sabot slugs, you want either a full-rifled barell, or if you have a changeable choke system, [one with different choke tubes] you want a rfiled choke tube.

*** I say probably here, because every shotgun barrel/choke/load combination is a law unto itself. Case in point is my Maverick 88. With the 28" modified choke barell, slug point of impact is just a wild guess. With the 18-1/2" cylinder bored barell, they will stay within 4" at 50 yards with the PMC brand rifled slug.

Suggestion...buy a small box (5 or 10 slugs per box) of as many different brands as you can find locally. When you find one that works really well, check the lot number of that brand, then go back to the shop and buy as many of that same lot as you can find on the shelf.
Old February 10, 2006, 10:29 AM   #6
Andy1985

Thanks everyone for their help! i'm going out today to try out a few slugs.
Old February 10, 2006, 10:32 AM   #7
Ruger4570

The post by Foghorn is very valid.. buy as many different brands as you can find, shoot them and record the results. I have done this with my 2 rifled barrel slug guns (Rem870 and a Ithaca DeerslaterII) in almost every case one gun preffered different brands that the other. Finding out which performs better is good but as posted, go back and get as many of the same slugs and check the lot # to be sure they are the same. Best of luck