The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 9, 2006, 11:50 AM   #1
Avizpls

NEW! Kel Tec PF-9

Introducing the PF-9 flat 9mm Pistol.

The PF-9 is a semi-automatic, locked breech pistol, chambered for the 9 mm Luger cartridge. It has been developed from our highly successful P-11 and P-3AT pistols with maximum concealability in mind. The PF-9 has a single stack magazine holding 7 rounds. It is the lightest and flattest 9 mm ever made. Firing mechanism is Double-Action Only with an automatic hammer block safety. The PF-9 will be available in blued, parkerized, and hard chrome finishes. Grips will be in black, grey, and olive drab.

The PF-9 accessory rail will accept the latest compact weapon lights and lasers.
Here shown with INSIGHT Technology's X2 Laser

Technical Specifications

Caliber: 9mm Luger 9 X 19mm
Weight unloaded (no magazine): 12.7 oz 360 g
Length: 5.85" 149 mm
Height: 4.3" 109 mm
Width: .88"" 22 mm
Barrel length 3.1" 80 mm
Capacity: 7+1

The PF-9 retains the best features from our P-11 and P-3AT pistols combined into the flattest and lightest single stack 9mm configuration ever made. The barrel, locking system, slide stop, assembly pin, front sight, recoil springs and guide rod are adapted from the P-11. The PF-9 is nearly identical to the P-11 in length and height and shares the same exterior controls. The shorter trigger system with integral hammer block and the extraction system are adapted from the P-3AT. Just like the P-11, the PF-9 will accept +P ammunition, however, not with continuous use.
The rear sight is a new design and is adjustable for windage with the supplied allen wrench as well as for elevation with the use of shims (not included). The included 7 round rectangular magazine is supplied with a finger extension base plate and numbered holes. The under barrel accessory rail shares the dimensions of the MIL-STD-1913 picatinny rail although there is only one locking notch in the forward position.

SUGGESTED RETAIL PRICES
Description Price
PF-9 Pistol, Blued $314.00
PF-9 Pistol, Parkerized $355.00
PF-9 Pistol, Hard Chrome $368.00
Old February 9, 2006, 11:54 AM   #2
Avizpls

I think this is an incredibly smart move for Kel-Tec. A sinlge stack ultra light 9mm! This is definatly somethign that the market will love! Being only .11" wider than thier P3AT, and about .6" longer and taller, this is a fantastic CCW.

Kahr is about a quarter of an inch bigger in all dimensions.

I cant wait to get one! It'll go well with my P3AT, P11, and Su-16
Old February 9, 2006, 01:08 PM   #3
gb_in_ga

Quote:
I think this is an incredibly smart move for Kel-Tec.
Agreed. It addresses my 1 big gripe with the P11, and that is that I really don't need a double stack mag on a CCW that is primarily used for "deeper" concealment, but I really do want it to be as small and flat as possible. This addressees the "flatness" gripe. 8 rounds is enough to get out of a scrap, and after all you can always carry a spare mag.

Oh, and I was just looking at the K-T web site just about an hour ago, and they didn't have this model listed yet.
Old February 9, 2006, 01:33 PM   #4
Juna

That looks pretty sweet. I bet it makes one hell of a pocket gun. I wouldn't mind trying one out. That would be a nice BUG/pocket gun or CCW for hot days with light clothing.
Old February 9, 2006, 01:34 PM   #5
kymasabe

I like it. I was never a P-11 fan but this may be my new carry gun.
Old February 9, 2006, 02:25 PM   #6
LH2

That looks great and seems to be smaller & lighter than a J-frame airweight that I often pocket carry now.

When will these be available?
Old February 9, 2006, 02:56 PM   #7
Handy

I'm no big fan of Kel-tec, but they've certainly taken the wind out of Rohrbar and Kahr's sails (and sales). Hopefully, this guns will be a bit more drop safe than the P-11.
Old February 9, 2006, 03:38 PM   #8
alamo

Quote:
Hopefully, this guns will be a bit more drop safe than the P-11.
It is. Same trigger design as the P-32/P-3AT which has a hammer block. P-11 doesn't have one.
Old February 9, 2006, 03:47 PM   #9
dtarbox

Are these currently shipping?
Old February 9, 2006, 03:55 PM   #10
tshadow6

Kt Pf 9

I posted a wish list the other day for a pocket sized 9. I think I found it. Does anyone know if they're shipping?
Old February 9, 2006, 04:44 PM   #11
LH2

Quote:
Are these currently shipping?
I think that's what we all want to know.

I sent KT an e-mail and asked, looking forward to their reply. I'm pretty excited about this pistol.
Old February 9, 2006, 04:53 PM   #12
LH2

Just saw this on the Kel Tec site:

Expected availability: May 2006

Sigh...
Old February 9, 2006, 06:31 PM   #13
Dave R

I'm gonna have to check this out. I have both a P-11 and P-3AT, and have been pleased with both.

If its really the size of a P-11, but flatter, it sounds like it'll be noticeably bigger than the Rohrbaugh. Maybe smaller than the Kahr?

Price looks nice. Though I'm sure there will be lots of discussion on Kel-Tec quality.
Old February 9, 2006, 06:57 PM   #14
Dr_2_B

The P-11 is great and fits in my pocket better than anything other than my P3AT. Length-wise, this PF-9 is not any different than the P-11, but I have learned that the slightest difference dimensionally (i.e. width) makes an enormous difference in the perceived feel and concealability. I want to get my hands on one to 'feel' the compactness. I think it may have a place in my future.
Old February 9, 2006, 07:58 PM   #15
Mokumbear

Looks good to me...

Got to hand it to Kel Tec, they are filling a niche and at an affordable price!

That is a very thin gun and a decent amount of potent caliber rounds.

My only concern is reliabilty and durability.

I also wish they would offer it in stainless.

Of all three finishes, blued, parkerized and chrome, which is the
most rust resistant?
Old February 9, 2006, 08:45 PM   #16
kymasabe

Go for the chrome !!!
Old February 9, 2006, 09:01 PM   #17
Javelin Man

That finger grip at the base of the magazine may be the smartest thing they add to this gun. It's going to be a handful to hold!

I'm afraid I'm going to have to pass on this fantastic gun. I have the P11 which I can't shoot right handed anymore, and my P32. There's no way I'll be able to shoot this new gun without more damage to my bones.

People have been clamouring for the single-stack P9, now they have it, or ina few months. Congrats to Kel-tec for listening to their customers!

The hard chrome is most corrosive-resistant followed by the parkerized finish.
Old February 9, 2006, 09:11 PM   #18
SCCop

Way to go

Looks like the folks at KT have done it again. I was considering adding a P 11 to my P3AT & SU 16 but it was a little bigger than I wanted. Apparently they were reading my mind (despite the tin foil ). I'm sure it will be a handful. I don't recall who it was, but one of you guys compared the P3AT's recoil to an "exploding credit card". I think that was pretty accurate and will probably apply to this one too. But I don't think they intended as a regular range piece.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old February 9, 2006, 10:24 PM   #19
alamo

Quote:
Of all three finishes, blued, parkerized and chrome, which is the
most rust resistant?
Hard chrome, then parkerized, then blue.
Old February 9, 2006, 10:32 PM   #20
Greg Bell

That gun looks like it could be something. Frankly, it looks useful. If it is reliable I will probably get one. They should re-think the grip checkerboarding though. I think a stipple job would give it a better grip--and on a gun this light and small grip is going to be important!

Bravo Kel-Tec!
Doomsday: Colt 6920 with Aimpoint t-2
Old February 9, 2006, 10:38 PM   #21
grimjaw

Good on KelTec for continuing to innovate!

However, I'll be keeping my Kahr.

jmm
Old February 9, 2006, 11:39 PM   #22
SCCop

Another note on the grip. I almost HAVE to shoot my P3AT bare-handed because of the grip achieved by the checkering. If I'm wearing gloves the little thing nearly flies outta my hand.
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows neither victory nor defeat." Teddy Roosevelt
Old February 9, 2006, 11:52 PM   #23
Wrangler5

Looks like a real winner, but I'm afraid I'm with JavelinMan - it's gonna be too much gun for my wrist. I'm trying to unload my P11 for this very reason, and a narrower and lighter model just isn't the way for my hands to go. I've decided my all-steel Makarov will just have to do.

BTW, I also carry a P3AT in a pocket on occasion, when I can't cover up a belt mounted holster. I can shoot that little beast for 1 or 2 mags occasionally, which is all I do with it. But it isn't as bad as an exploding credit card. An exploding credit card is when you let off a P3AT with a 380 case that has snuck through your 9mm Luger reloading process. THAT is an exploding credit card. Interestingly, only one part disappeared, 2 others were blown out on the ground, and the plastic frame cracked where it met the sharp rear corners of the aluminum action block. But nothing came apart, the slide still could be hand cycled and the hammer (dry) fired. Kel Tec fixed damage that was obviously (and admittedly) caused by user stupidity, at NO CHARGE to the stupid user. If you can find better service than that, buy it.

I wish I could handle the new 9mm, as it looks like an ideal form factor and I have the greatest respect for the maker.
Old February 10, 2006, 01:23 AM   #24
Mosin44az

Kel-Tec makes so many tempting guns. Wish they paid more attention to quality.
Old February 10, 2006, 07:57 AM   #25
Onapar

does it lock back?

Does it lock back after the last round or is it like the P3at?