The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old June 9, 2006, 01:00 PM   #1
Delynn

Question about Drop compesator or Turrets

I just bought a Remington Sendero SF II in 300 win mag. I love the groups I am getting from this rifle at 100 yards. .50 to .75 MOA. 180 grain Hornady sst. I am looking at getting a new scope to try some target shooting and maybe hunting out to 600 yards. Even though I have never shoot that far before, I have never had a rifle shoot this good before. I have seen a video where they have to dial the scope to the range they are shooting. That was COOL! I have read a little about these but the data is overwhelming and confusing. The Hornady 180 sst should be about 2980 fps but I have not tested in my rifle yet. Any advice in this field. Don't hold anything back. The Good, Bad, and Ugly about these gadgets. I like all advice even it is not the norm. Thanks in advance. Delynn
Old June 9, 2006, 01:53 PM   #2
MTMilitiaman

If you can give them a drop chart and/or an accurate BC/velocity, Leupold will make and install a custom BDC elevation turrent for their scopes. It costs like $160 and you have to send the scope into them--it must of course be a Leupold scope. Otherwise, your closest bet is probably going to be finding a scope set up for a .300 match load, like maybe a 190 gr Matchking, and assuming the BC and velocity numbers are close enough to match your trajectory.
Old June 12, 2006, 10:22 AM   #3
Delynn

Thank You

Thanks, That sounds good. I will look into it. I shot my rifle again and the groups seem to be getting tighter everytime I shoot. I will look up Leupold and give them a call. Thanks for all your help. Delynn
Old June 12, 2006, 10:36 AM   #4
Zak Smith

No need for a custom cam, just get a scope with an external elevation knob. See http://demigod.org/optics for a pretty detailed explanation of LR optics
Old June 12, 2006, 11:24 AM   #5
rezmedic54

Bullet Drop

I just picked up an ATN scope with a built in BCD. It came with several different cams .223,.308.7mm rem mag, and 3 others my best guess is it is designed for the most common factory specs and bullet weight. The cams are set for a max of 500 yds right now it's to dang hot to see if it works being in the mid 100's here so I really can't tell you if it works. But when the weather cool down some ( under 90) I'll be glad to let you know. I got this cause been thinking of shooting comp. and am really new this rifle shooting. Am a pistol shooter for the most part. Be Safe Out There.
CCW Instrutor
NRA Certified Instructor
Gunsmith
Maricopa ,Az.

http:www.maricopashooting.com
Old June 12, 2006, 11:41 AM   #6
Wildalaska

When I selected an optic for the Blaser, 3.5-10x40 LR/T with TMR and FF I chose the target turrets (M1) for the following reason:

1/4 minute clicks!

I am working on drop tables and fell I will be able to dial them in more accurately than with BDC turrets

But I defer to Zaks expertise in this area, by the way Zak great page, got some verbiage on how to do TMR?

WildzakisgodAlaska
Old June 13, 2006, 06:54 PM   #7
Death from Afar

Get a stoney point target knob on to your exixting scope, play with the gun, tape a range table to the side of the stock, and you will be laughing for hours.
Old June 13, 2006, 07:04 PM   #8
Eghad

Good stuff Mr. Zak

NRA Life Member
Old June 14, 2006, 07:27 AM   #9
dfaugh

Personally, I prefer a scope with a mildot reticle...Don't have to change settings at all, once its sighted in.....Can be used for rangefinding and bullet drop(and even windage). Just make up a "cheat sheet" for your pet loads w/ holdover points for various ranges.

"No one has the answer, but one thing is true.
You'e got to turn on evil, when its coming after you.
You've gotta face it down,and when it tries to hide,
you've got to go in after it, and never be denied.
Time is running out...Let's roll.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for love.
We're going after satan, on the wings of a dove.
Let's roll for freedom, let's roll for truth.
Let's not let our children grow up fearful in their youth."
Old June 14, 2006, 08:53 AM   #10
Harley Quinn

We should mate this thread to Gangsta style shooting

Everyone of you should go over there and read that one talk about a failure to communicate

Physics is the interaction of matter and energy, now the topic over there is like giving some one a physic.
I don't know if it is spelled the same way or not??? But it is easy to misinterpret if you are having a failure to communicate

HQ