The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old July 31, 2006, 12:29 AM   #1
Oregongundude

Laser sights for handguns are they good for discouraging attacks by BG's.

Lately, I have been reading a lot of information about how laser sights on handguns can discourage attacks from some Bad guys, or gals. I'm also interested in which of the laser sights are the most accurate? I have recently purchased a lasermax for my Glock 17 9 mm. Most of the shots fall within 2 to 3 inches of where I point it. I have been told that's about the best you can do with accuracy with a laser sighting device for a handgun? Does anyone have any opinions on this topic, or additional information. I was thinking about purchasing another Lasermax for my Springfield XD .40 subcompact, is that the best choice in laser sighting. I like the fact that it's internal and is part of the handgun with nothing hanging off of the gun. However, there kind of expensive.

Guns inventory

Double barrel Nitro 12 gauge. 1930's addition.
308 Browning gas autoloading hunting rifle with scope.
Springfield XD 45 ACP 5 inch tactical-black
Springfield XD .40 Subcompact OD green/black. (Primary carry Weapon)
Glock 17 9X19 Lasermax internal laser sight. (Secondary carry weapon)

"I'd Like you to meet my little friend"

XD .40 SC

Last edited by Oregongundude; July 31, 2006 at 06:12 PM.
Old July 31, 2006, 01:12 AM   #2
Anthony Terry

I think that I would be scared if I saw a gun and looked down to see a red dot on my chest. Sure it would scare a bg. I use lasermax in my glock 22. The most expensive(my was $300) but also the best one made IMO. T'ts inside the pistol and does'nt stick out anywhere. Check it out online. Another great thing about it is that it requires no adjustments. It's always on the mark right out of the box. Mine is dead to rights @20yds. It runs on lithium watch batteries. I'm going go out on a limb and say that they're the best laser made for a handgun on the market right now

Last edited by Anthony Terry; July 31, 2006 at 04:27 AM.
Old July 31, 2006, 03:00 AM   #3
Anthony Terry

Sorry, it's 2 AM here and I'm a little tired and bored. Let me go back and edit it.

Last edited by Anthony Terry; July 31, 2006 at 04:23 AM.
Old July 31, 2006, 03:08 AM   #4
Bud Helms

The suggestion is to make a minimum effort, not be perfect.
Old July 31, 2006, 03:12 AM   #5
Anthony Terry

Bud Helms:

I'm sorry about that, really. I just kinda rushed that one earlier. I usually use better puncuation.
Old July 31, 2006, 04:19 AM   #6
Bud Helms

Nanny Bud: You're forgiven if you try to do better.

Thanks.

[Edit: Anthony said: "P.S., you left out "is" in: (no one "is" going to follow you), while we're at it". See? THAT'S why we don't expect perfect. You got me! ]
Old July 31, 2006, 04:22 AM   #7
Maser

Sorry to get a bit off topic, but nothing scares a BG more than a pump shotgun with a laser on it.
Old July 31, 2006, 04:29 AM   #8
Anthony Terry

No problems, Bud.
A laser on anything will usually scare someone. It's just the intimidation factor. I think a laser sight is a good thing to have.
Old July 31, 2006, 04:32 AM   #9
Bud Helms

Yup, back on topic ...

I was recently at a social event and someone pointed at my shirt front. When I looked, there was a red dot quivering around the second button down. Holy smoke! I thought someone might be foolin around with a handgun, sighted with a laser grip. It made me nervous, to say the least, until I spotted a buddy with a handheld laser pointer having some fun. I still suggested he not do it because I wasn't sure if it could cause some injury if pointed at someone's eyes. I'm not sure how powerful the red dot sights or the handheld pointers are, but better safe than sorry until you know.

As far as using one on a handgun, I could never get used to the "quiver" due to me not being able to hold steady enough. I never saw that much movement in my open sights!
Old July 31, 2006, 04:37 AM   #10
Anthony Terry

Well, most of the directions I've read for laser sights state you should'nt point them toward the eyes. I'm not sure how powerful they are or if they would hurt your eyes, but from my understanding, they are considered harmful to eyes. i don't want anyone pointing one in my eyes, I know that much. Or my chest either for that matter. I've had them pointed at me before, not knowing where they were coming from. It's a weird feeling to say the least.
Bud: I see where you're coming from about the quiver. I'm still trying to adjust to that. Seems to get better as I practice more.
Old July 31, 2006, 02:59 PM   #11
JSalcedo

My thought is: If you are going to pull a handgun there sure as heck better be some significant threat. If you pull a handgun using the imminent threat guideline you are probably justified in shooting.

The lasers only purpose should be shot placement.
Old July 31, 2006, 03:20 PM   #12
Oregongundude

Some would say that lasers give the bad guy something to shoot at?

Also, I have heard that if the BG's should have a gun the laser could actually end up being something for him to shoot at in the dark. What are you thoughts on this as well?

Old July 31, 2006, 04:04 PM   #13
Anthony Terry

I feel that it might give a BG something to shoot at in the dark also. I'm glad it has an on/off switch!
Old July 31, 2006, 05:06 PM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Quote:
I was recently at a social event and someone pointed at my shirt front. When I looked, there was a red dot quivering around the second button down. Holy smoke!
Wow. There was a laser dot on your shirt and you didn't know it until somebody pointed it out? You just provided a wonderful example of one of the myths of lasers. For it to scare people, they have to know it is there. If they don't know to look for it, they won't know it is there. In the movies, people "feel" laser dots on on their person, which doesn't happen. They are silent and without sensation via feel. They are sensed visually.

Quote:
I think that I would be scared if I saw a gun and looked down to see a red dot on my chest.
How ironic. Would you not be scared if you just saw a gun pointed at you? If you did see a gun pointed at you, why would you look at your chest when the threat isn't on your chest? The laser isn't going to hurt your chest.
Old July 31, 2006, 05:25 PM   #15
gb_in_ga

I have mixed feelings on them.

On the one hand, there is the intimidation factor of having it centered right in the COM -- it means, "I got ya' dead to rights". Especially when dealing with lone common criminals and such, that is a good thing, it may cause him to reconsider his career choice.

OTOH, if you are dealing with multiple and/or, competent BG's and you have NOT acquired your target, you are marking yourself, giving away your position and are therefore putting yourself at risk. For that matter, if you are dealing with multiple competent BG's and you have acquired one of them, you are still marking yourself for his buddy(s), putting yourself at risk.

Six of one, half a dozen of the other. I choose to do without.
Old July 31, 2006, 05:41 PM   #16
Edward429451

Quote:
On the one hand, there is the intimidation factor of having it centered right in the COM -- it means, "I got ya' dead to rights".
But...but, he wont be looking at his shirt, he'll be looking at the man with the gun? Having someone point a non lasered gun at you means I got you too!

Gimmick.
Old July 31, 2006, 05:58 PM   #17
gb_in_ga

Quote:
But...but, he wont be looking at his shirt, he'll be looking at the man with the gun?
Not necessarily. Might be, might not be. If he is looking at the man with the gun, it is a moot point, as you point out. Well, even then it isn't, because he'll be seeing that laser as well -- pointing right at COM. If he isn't looking at the man with the gun (like, say, because it is dark or he's looking off in another direction) then the non-laser gun has no intimidation factor at all. In that case, the laser brings to his attention that there is a gun involved and pointed right at him. Dead to Rights.

Quote:
Having someone point a non lasered gun at you means I got you too!
Well, yes, assuming that the BG is paying attention to you and/or your gun, which might not be the case. The laser flashing around and then centering on his boiler room will get his attention, for sure and for real. Whether that is a positive thing or not depends on the situation and the BG.

Quote:
Gimmick.
Mmmm. IMHO the jury is out on that one. I'm just not so sure that the advantages outweigh the risks.
Old July 31, 2006, 06:47 PM   #18
Anthony2

Shot placement impairment...

I considered a laser at one point...Until someone gave me this point.
If the laser is accurate + or - 3in. and your shot placement is accurate to the same degree without the laser.
It stands to reason that you have the potential to be off by 3-6in.
Just a different view....

"Baaa or Freedom!" - Ted Nugent

"Even if you are a minority of one, the truth is the truth." - Ghandi

"The Addiction to Guns, The only addiction to ever SAVE a life!"- Me
Old July 31, 2006, 10:35 PM   #19
Anthony Terry

DN spy.

Half asleep when I typed that at 3am last night. Kinda goofed it I guess, but did'nt deserve a flaming.
Let me rephrase to make you feel better.
If you see a dot on your chest, and look up to see a gun pointed at you, you will freak. Better?
Old July 31, 2006, 10:53 PM   #20
Epyon

Well you know what...

Who needs laser sights when you have a LASER GUN!!

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.
Old July 31, 2006, 11:02 PM   #21
gb_in_ga

Quote:
Who needs laser sights when you have a LASER GUN!!
Ooh, Ooh, Ooh! I want one!!! With a laser pointer as well?

I mean, after all, we keep on saying that handguns aren't death rays, right? So, why not just cut to the chase and get a death ray, huh???

Oh, darn, you mean that we don't have death rays yet?

Rats...
Old August 1, 2006, 01:09 AM   #22
rick_reno

I have the Crimson Trace laser on a G34 and really like it.
Old August 1, 2006, 02:13 AM   #23
skeeter1

Lasers

I thought about a Crimson Trace laser grip on one of my handguns, but gave up on the idea. I have found two good uses for lasers: the boresighter for my rifle, and the little one I use for playing with the cats. They love to chase that little "magic" red bug around the floor! I'm thinking that might also discourage a BG, but at arms length.
Old August 1, 2006, 02:29 AM   #24
Anthony Terry

Thats funny, my boxers also chase the laser. I like to put it on one's back while the other one pounces him. they'll also scramble around the floor and up the walls after it.
Old August 1, 2006, 07:11 AM   #25
Epyon

To gb_in_ga...

My laser gun works great, and is super accurate, the only problem is if I'm shooting in a room with highly reflective surfaces, unless the laser bounces in such a way as to hit multiple assailants!!

Epyon
Vote Epyon for president in 2008, if you vote for Epyon all of your wildest dreams will come true: This campaign was brought to you by Epyon; funded in part by the Pizza Party, Surprise Party, Birthday Party, and Slumber Party.