The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old September 9, 2006, 09:07 AM   #1
Socrates

Which 45's Have Fully Supported Chambers?

Hi
I was wondering which, of the currently avaliable guns, have the best chamber support in 45 ACP?

I'm considering a gun for 45 Super, and, I'm not up on the current offerings chamber support.

Thanks

S
Old September 9, 2006, 09:53 AM   #2
mjrodney

I know the Ruger 345 does, since I own one.

One of the gun mags I read recently had an article that said that the Springfield XD line and Kahr does, as well.
Old September 9, 2006, 10:37 AM   #3
918v

None.

You don't need one for the 45 Super. The stronger case and stronger recoil spring hold things together better and longer during the firing cycle.
Old September 9, 2006, 10:47 AM   #4
Socrates

I kind of agree, but, for a LONG time, I shot 45 Super level stuff, in a Detonics Mark VI, with normal brass. Few bulged cases, after many reloadings, but no blown up cases, and, I did this for 5 years, averaging 6-8 hours a week of range time, with those loads, and gun.

Some guns, glocks in particular, seem to do a REALLY poor job of supporting the case.

If NO gun has a fully supported chamber, what has the most support?

S
Old September 9, 2006, 12:52 PM   #5
Ares45

Quote:
The stronger case and stronger recoil spring hold things together better and longer during the firing cycle.
While I agree that there's no such thing as a 100% fully supported chamber I disagree with the above statement. Peak pressures occur while the gun is still locked in battery, therefore recoil springs and the like play no role in overpressure KB's. 45super brass is thicker than auto colt brass but it's still no match for a double charge or obstructed bore pressures. Guns are steel and brass is brass. The weak link will always be the brass casing, especially near the case head, where the chamber is unsupported.

Somebody somewhere had a thread showing several popular handguns, barrels removed with brass inserted into the chamber to show chamber support. At the time I was only interested in the HK USP because it was the only one in the group that I actually owned. I distinctly remember the USP45 having the best support and the Glock having the worst. Can't remember who the other manufacturers were. Not much but I hope it helps.
Old September 9, 2006, 01:06 PM   #6
918v

Quote:
Peak pressures occur while the gun is still locked in battery, therefore recoil springs and the like play no role in overpressure KB's.
KB's are caused by a multitude of factors. Too loose a recoil spring and the gun will unlock prematurely, contributing to KB.
Old September 9, 2006, 03:03 PM   #7
Powder_Burn

All Springfield XD's come with supported chambers to include the XD-45. In the 1911 and 2011 world, many manufacturers use supported chambers however sometimes it is considered a custom order option and is not available on the stock gun. Check out the Les Baer, Kimber, and STI websites for starters...
Old September 9, 2006, 04:00 PM   #8
mjrodney

Perhaps I need more clarification as to what constitutes a fully supported chamber.

Attached is a photograph of one of my .45ACP barrels with a Corbon Powerball in it.

On the side is a halved .45ACP piece of brass that shows where the internals stop in relationship to the straightwall of the case.

To me, it would appear that ALL of the thin walls of the case are within the confines of the barrel.

And this is what I would call a fully supported barrel.

Comments?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1463.JPG (174.8 KB, 268 views)
Old September 9, 2006, 04:41 PM   #9
joecad

in my mind...and i am no expert ,what you are showing is a fully supported round...i consider this to be so based on the following.
i have a barrel throat gauge that i made from a drawing in my "ed browns 1911 bench reference". accompanying the drawing of the gauge and the instructions on how to use it he warns of not going deeper than the gauge as it will result in an unsupported round.....when i finished the throat job on one of 1911's the sortest part of the chamber was right at that line you show in your pic.....i could be wrong but thats how i arrived at my conclusion.
Old September 10, 2006, 07:48 PM   #10
Socrates

MJR
Great pic. Yes, the only problems I had with the Detonics is every once in awhile, a poorly sized case would not make it all the way into the barrel, for a variety of reasons, not the least of which is I hardly ever cleaned the gun.
I'd get a bulge just above your line, all the way around the case, but, the 45 ACP brass was never so weak as to blow in that area, as Detonics told me at the time.

S
Old September 11, 2006, 07:53 PM   #11
ShelbyV8

S&W 4506's handle 45 super very well with just a recoil spring change.