The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old October 18, 2006, 01:48 AM   #1
Playboypenguin

Multiple CCW firearms or just one?

Does anyone else have multiple weapons that they use for CCW or do you prefer to stick to just one. I have found myself with different weapons for different types of dress and different situation.

I have a black OWB holster for my PPK when I am wearing a black belt casual dress.

I have a brown OWB holster for my MK40 for when I am wearing a brown belt casual dress.

I have IWB for both for when I am dressed up a little more and cannot wear as baggy a shirt or need to cover with just a light jacket or sports coat. (.380 for just around town..the .40S&W if I feel I will be out late in the city)

I have ordered a black OWB holster for my Seecamp to go with a lightweight suit in the summer. (theater and dinner type activities)

I have a brown OWB for my Taurus 731 for when I am really dressed down and feel like carrying a revolver and an IWB one for is I am dressed a little nicer.

For when I am dressed to go out and have little option for concealment I have an IWB holster for my .32acp Seecamp and just bought the same for my new .380 NAA Guardian.

I am also thinking of getting a wallet holster for my Seecamp for when I cannot hide a firearm on me when we go out in the summer. Right now my only option if I cannot have one on my body is an ankle holster for my NAA mini .22mag revolver.

This means a lot more time at the range to stay proficent with all five firearms but I am willing to make that sacrafice.

Does anyone else do this or is it kind of gay?
Old October 18, 2006, 02:00 AM   #2
skeeter1

On the very rare occasions I feel the need to carry, it's either a .38Spl snubby or a .22 Magnum derringer dropped into a pocket. I like "relaxed-fit" jeans, so nobody knows it's there.
Old October 18, 2006, 05:15 AM   #3
saypek

Due to the cost of PTC's (permit to carry) in my place, I have the same carry and range gun.
Old October 18, 2006, 05:39 AM   #4
CDH

Most people (make that "all" people) I know who have permits, if not restricted by economical considerations, have more than one carry piece.
Multiple carry guns are mostly dictated by the various ways one dresses and what is reasonable to conceal.

I'd be willing to bet that 90% of all CCW ticket holders have at least 2 carry pistols; one larger one, and one much more easily concealed.

Carter
Old October 18, 2006, 06:32 AM   #5
BPMACMAN

depending on my style of dress i may carry my g19,or if i am wearing looser clothing i will carry my xd45. however i have made sure through thousands of rounds of practice that the sights between the 2 weapons are as alike as i can get them.i feel xtremly confident that i can aquire and shoot my targets with the same proficiency,using the glock or the xd.........
Old October 18, 2006, 06:53 AM   #6
P97

I'm in that minority that have only 1 carry gun that I carry always, unless asleep or somewhere where its illegal.
Old October 18, 2006, 07:20 AM   #7
tlm225

I don't concern myself with coordinating the color of my holster with my wardrobe (it is concealed after all). I do have different guns for different levels of attire. A Glock 23 or 27 most of the time, a P-32 when nothing else will conceal.
Old October 18, 2006, 07:25 AM   #8
shield20

I think it is crazy to carry so many different pieces. I don't think it is hard to shoot them all well, but I think it is VERY hard for your body to make the transition when it counts re:the trigger (and an other functional differences) when doing a quick draw and shoot / reloads etc. To see what I mean - practice quick draws with the DA revolver exclusively for even just a couple weeks, then try something with a much shorter/lighter pull and that 1st shot will come off earlier then you expect - quite possibly before you want it to.

I see this time and again - re-inforced this past weekend. I had practiced with just my P2000 as my primary CC for a month or so. This time I brought the 1911, and attempted a cold quick draw 1st thing. The 1st shot went off as a real surprise (high). What I learned from that was NOT to shoot the 1911 as a CCW, but use it for shooting fun/practice as a range gun only.

I will make the transition to my new P99c starting today - that trigger is about .3" long. Atleast the mag release etc is the same, but I do not think it possible for me to distinguish & switch automatically between that pull and the .75" LEM in a SD situation. If I decide to go with the P99c, then I need to "learn" the Walther pull intuitively - for when I may need it most.

IMO - pick 1 (or 2 if you must) - and get used to it.
Old October 18, 2006, 07:43 AM   #9
Duxman

Because of the climate changes here in Virginia - a different mode of dress is required: (CC changes - optional - but fun)

Spring / Summer:
Interarms .22 (Walther TPH clone) perfect for dropping into the lower pocket of cargo shorts and pants.
OR
SW 4013 40SW - slim and compact - it goes into a IWB with a hawaiian shirt over it.

Fall / Winter:
Walther P99 40SW - in a paddle holster, or Miami style shoulder holster.
OR
Beretta M92 9mm - Miami style shoulder holster.

Variety is the spice of life...
Old October 18, 2006, 08:26 AM   #10
BigV

Agree with shield20 . It is one thing to be proficient with multiple handguns, but when your life depends on it, you can’t afford a single mistake. I have multiple handguns and shoot them all regularly, but I carry only one. Summer, winter, spring or fall it’s my Kimber CDP Ultra. When I shoot at the range I always begin my session and end it with my carry gun.
Old October 18, 2006, 08:37 AM   #11
Syntax360

I'm guilty as well - I carry 5 different guns depending on what I'm wearing and what I'm in the mood for.

However, I carry 2 guns the vast majority of the time - my Bersa Thunder if I'm just going to work and back home or my Steyr M9A1 for about any other occasion.

I probably only carry the other 3 once every month or two.
Old October 18, 2006, 09:14 AM   #12
Jkwas

I have three, and usually vary them depending upon my perceived situation. Usually a 5 shot snub is my main, Once in awhile I'll take the 6 shot k frame out for a spin, and if I'm traveling to a not so nice neighborhood at night, I will probably take the P89. I don't see too much difference between carrying different revolvers as the manual of arms is the same, but I can see a diff with automatics.
Old October 18, 2006, 09:16 AM   #13
Mike Irwin
Staff

I have a range that I carry.

My primary two are a Smith & Wesson 042 Centennial Airweight or a Taurus PT-22.

I've also been known to carry:

S&W Model 19 .357 Mag., 2.5"
Model 19, 4"

HK P7PSP
S&W Model 58 .41 Mag. (very rarely)
CZ-70 .32 ACP (very rarely)

The first 4 in the second list are normally my winter carry guns when I can wear a jacket over my shoulder holster.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old October 18, 2006, 09:28 AM   #14
7th Fleet

At the very least I carry a Kel-Tec P3At when anything else is just to large/bulky/heavy. Whenever possible I carry my 4" Kimber 1911 which is my preferred carry piece. But I always carry...

7th
Old October 18, 2006, 09:34 AM   #15
Hank's Dad

I have several different firearms, but for the most part my CCW guns have a similar manual of arms; double action revolver or Sig P series.

I use the appropriate gun for the clothes I am wearing and the situation, but I always try to carry the biggest gun I can because I find that I shoot them better.

Even when carrying something bigger, seldom do I leave without a lightweight bodyguard snubby in my front pocket.
Old October 18, 2006, 09:45 AM   #16
RecoveringGT'er

I carry a Glock 17, or an S&W Model 60 3 inch. I'd agree that one should have as few carry guns as possible. For example, I used to carry my 1911 occasionally. After I acquired my Glock 17, I switched to the above combo. I didn't like having to remember three trigger pulls, three types of sights, one thumb safety, and whether or not to cock the revolver. For fun shooting, it's not so bad, but it's bad to practice presenting and forget to thumb off the safety.

I used to carry either a Glock 22 or a Glock 27. Same trigger pull, same grip width, same chunky feel. Now, I practice a lot with my Glock 17 and the 60, and will probably transition to either the Glock 17 and a Glock 26, or the Glock 21 and the Glock 30. Or the XD45 and it's subcompact baby brother, when it comes out.

P97's comment reminds me of the phrase: "Beware the man with one gun."
Old October 18, 2006, 10:49 AM   #17
duckcallinfool

P229 .40 S&W. Same gun different day.

If for some crazy reason I was gonna wear a different gun for different occasions. I would buy a P239 that works the same way my primary gun works.

I don't understand anyone wanting to carry five different guns from several different mfgs. Different trigger pulls, different sight heights, different grip angles, etc.

If the day comes that I have to use my weapon to defend myself I want it to work the way my mind is trained to work. Clear leather, point, pull trigger.
Old October 18, 2006, 12:37 PM   #18
dairycreek

I have no problem with carrying different weapons for CCW as long as one takes the time and makes the effort to be extremely competent with each one. Practice, practice, and more practice on the various aspects of carrying concealed (draw, presentation, etc.) are required. I have carried for over 30 years and really feel competent with only three weapons (two revolvers and one auto) and I sure don't recommend using a wide variety of different types of handguns. If my life is on the line I sure don't want to be hesitant. FWIW.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old October 18, 2006, 12:40 PM   #19
threefivesevenmag

I like carry similar weapons, or weapons with the same method of operation. Certain safety placement...or no safety...things like that.
Old October 18, 2006, 02:48 PM   #20
john in jax

My normal CCW is a blued Para Ordnance 12.45 LDA, but sometimes I carry a stainless Para Ordnance 7.45 LDA (like a full size 1911).
Old October 18, 2006, 03:24 PM   #21
springmom

two main ones

Kimber Ultra Carry II and S&W m37. The Kimber is, for now, a purse gun, because I'm still waiting (after a MONTH) for a holster I've ordered for it for IWB. The snubbie can be concealed on outfits that the Kimber cannot (as of now).

I practice with both of them and don't feel that confusion is likely if I need one of them for self defense. If I carried three or four different ones, yes, but these two are okay for me.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old October 18, 2006, 05:47 PM   #22
Playboypenguin

Quote:
Kimber Ultra Carry II and S&W m37
Those Kimbers are nice. I have the pro Carry II and I just bought my first S&W snubbie (.38spl+P 637-2 Airweight revolver). I am hoping I will like it. I am not sure about the tapered barrel but it sure is small and it fits all the holsters I already have for my Taurus 731.
Old October 18, 2006, 05:54 PM   #23
Mannlicher

guess it helps to ask the same question in several places. Wonder how consistant the answers are?

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.".........Ronald Reagan
Old October 18, 2006, 05:58 PM   #24
Dave R

I carry one of two.

If you can see my belt, I'm carrying a P-3AT. If you can't see my belt, I'm carrying a PT-145 in an IWB holster.

Of course, most people I know who have been carrying for very long, including me, have pistols they USED to carry. I could go back to carrying one of those if I had to.
Old October 18, 2006, 07:37 PM   #25
John28226

Same Gun - Different Holsters

I normally carry a Taurus Stellar Tracker 2 in. revolver but, due to climate changes I have a number of different holsters from OWB to IWB to under the shirt shoulder (Action Direct).

On rare occasions I carry a semi-auto but I favor the revolver.
John
Charlotte, NC