The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old November 4, 2006, 02:42 PM   #1
New19

G19

I will be picking up a new G19 next thursday it is primarly for SD for the wife when I am gone, what would be a good ammo first for practice at the range and then for a SD load, thanks for the help.
Mossberg 590
Old November 4, 2006, 02:54 PM   #2
Ronny

I shoot Winchester Whitebox Value Packs of 100 out of my Glocks for practice. It's dirty but very cheap.

For SD in 9mm, you've got plenty of options. Speer Gold Dots, Federal Hydrashocks, and Ranger SXTs to name a few in various weights, standard pressure and plus-P. I'm fond of the Hydrashocks, but buy a couple of boxes of different brands and have your wife shoot them to see if: #1) they work reliably in your gun, and #2) if she's comfortable with the recoil and can place shots quickly and accurately with it.
Old November 4, 2006, 03:25 PM   #3
glock19xdsc

CCI Blazer Aluminum is what I mostly use for practice. For SD I keep it loaded with 135 grain Federal Hydra-Shock JHP Personal Defense.
"There is no retreat, but in submission and slavery. Our chains are forged. Their clanking may be heard on the plains of Boston! The war is inevitable--and let it come! I repeat it, sir, let it come!" - Patrick Henry, 1775
Old November 4, 2006, 03:36 PM   #4
Para Bellum

1.) EMB, 2.) EFMJ, 3.) Pow'r'Ball

for practice at the range take a cheap FMJ that has the same weight as your defense-load will be. If you want to reduce the health hazard from the combustion gases, get non-toxic ammo like S&B Nontox or similar:
http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/nontox-cartridges.php

For defense (G19 - great choice!) get Federal EFMJ, Corbon Pow'r'Ball or Fiocchi EMB (if you can get the EMB go for them). These three bullet types are superior to hollowpoints and open more reliably in soft tissue because they don't have a hollow point to get clogged with heavy clothing etc.
The EMB is even more advanced and sharpens itsself on hard targets while it opens in soft targets, you can see here, how:
Tests EMB / EFMJ etc

More on the EFMJ:
http://www.thegunzone.com/efmj.html
http://www.patricks-home.de/efmj/EFMJ1.html
http://www.geocities.com/goldenloki2/9mm/gel9.html
http://www.greent.com/40Page/general/EFMJ.htm
http://www.allsafedefense.com/Specia...BulletTest.htm
http://glocktalk.com/sitemap/topic/373913-1.html

In this pic you see the EMB (#1) and the EFMJ (#5):

Here's an EMB cutaway:

Here the EMB expanded:

And here four EMB Bullets after going trough hard and soft targets. Perfect intelligent bullet behavoir:
Old November 4, 2006, 06:42 PM   #5
New19

Thanks for the help, this will get me started
Mossberg 590
Old November 4, 2006, 08:22 PM   #6
flycaster

Stacey- CCI/Speer makes their Lawman range of FMJ cartridges to approximate the ballistics and feel of combat loads. They're intended for LEO's for cheaper practice, while simulating the "real thing". Might want to try those for practice.

Chuck
Old November 4, 2006, 11:26 PM   #7
New19

Chuck,

Thanks, I want my wife to get the feel of the 9mm and get used to it so if the need is ever there she can defend her self, the closer the practice round to SD round the better.
Mossberg 590
Old November 5, 2006, 05:22 AM   #8
Rob96

For practice I use the Winchester white box value packs from Walmart. I also use S&B that I pick up at Cabelas.

For SD I use 124gr+p Gold Dots, loaded by Black Hills. Golden Saber, and Fedral HST are also good choices. Others to consider would be the Corbon Pow'R Ball, and I will even say the Federal Hydrashok. Despite what get results say, this round is still working.
Old November 5, 2006, 06:15 AM   #9
Impreza

where do you get those EMB'S??? there was a CCW shooting case on dateline and those were the rounds used!!
Old November 5, 2006, 07:23 AM   #10
rn22723

Ditto on the WWB from Wally world. Get your SD ammo at http://www.streichers.com/ you get 50rd boxes for the price of 20rd boxes elsewhere!

Another few things I suggest Very Strongly!
#1 Get formal training! Very Important!
#2 Get a Ruger or Browning 22 LR pistol for inexpensive practice. Either of these will give you range practice that will allow for extended range sessions and not break the bank!
Old November 7, 2006, 09:15 PM   #11
New19

Sorry for being dence but what is the difference between FMJ and TMJ? I can get 1000 rounds of CCI Blazer 9mm TMJ 115gr for $160.00 will this be a good practice round?

Thanks
Mossberg 590
Old November 8, 2006, 02:41 PM   #12
Para Bellum

Quote:
where do you get those EMB'S??? there was a CCW shooting case on dateline and those were the rounds used!!
In Austria. That's where I currently work.
Old November 9, 2006, 01:16 AM   #13
Rube

difference between tmj and fmj

My understanding is that TMJ (total metal jacket) and FMJ (full metal jacket) can be nearly identical except for the exposed lead on the base of the FMJ; however, some manufacturers refer to their plated bullets as TMJ.
Old November 9, 2006, 04:57 PM   #14
Half-Price Assassin

Practice = Winchester White Box

SD = Winchester +P+ 115gr JHP, or Gold Dot +P 124gr JHP

HK Marketing Department's new slogan "HK. Because you suck. And we HATE you"
Old November 9, 2006, 11:05 PM   #15
New19

New Baby

Well I picked up my wifes new g19 today and purchased 500 rounds of Winchester white box for a range trip this weekend, I also got 50 rounds of Speer Gold Dot 124gr. GDHP for SD, I read through the manual and am wondering about cleaning supplies what do I need
Mossberg 590
Old November 9, 2006, 11:37 PM   #16
King_chin0

Since you have a new G19, you should have most of the cleaning supplies you need, because it comes with the gun NIB. The only other things you will need is a Towel, old tooth brush, some gun cleaning solvent(Hoppe No.9 Solvent is very good), gun oil(I use breakfree as the second cleaner, I first use hoppes to losen the dirt, clean it, then use breakfree all-in-one to clean it again and it has oil to keep my gun in juicy form ) You will need some lil cleaning patchs. Thats about all you need. You can also pick up a Silicon cloth from your gunshop to wipe the exterior of your gun as well, I love that thing, keeps your gun in top shape. Congrats on the new buy